Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Sure there's been the Lake Nona-Medical City project, though it is attributed to UCF's desire for a new medical school as well as the Veterans Administration's desire for a new facility.
The medical school has been up and running now for 2 years. It took long enough as Orlando was the largest city in the country without a medical school a few years ago.

Quote:
Up until now everyone involved in planning seems perfectly content to stick their heads in the ground and pretend it's not happening, but the statistics/numbers do not lie. This city cannot continue to ride the coattails of tourism if it hopes to ever become a relevant, major city.
Compared to where it was 20 years ago, Orlando has evolved quite a bit. I'm excited to see where things are in another 20 years. I like the small/big city feel of Orlando. I'd hate for it to turn into the next LA or Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The medical school has been up and running now for 2 years. It took long enough as Orlando was the largest city in the country without a medical school a few years ago.

Compared to where it was 20 years ago, Orlando has evolved quite a bit. I'm excited to see where things are in another 20 years. I like the small/big city feel of Orlando. I'd hate for it to turn into the next LA or Miami
Do you care to expound how this is so?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Do you care to expound how this is so?
It's hard to describe, but if you've lived in a place like NYC, or even pittsburgh, Orlando's traffic doesn't seem that awful. At the same time, it has big-city amenities like a killer airport and a decent restaurant scene. Yet 30 mins away, you can be in rural surroundings. That's what I mean by a small/big city.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
It's hard to describe, but if you've lived in a place like NYC, or even pittsburgh, Orlando's traffic doesn't seem that awful. At the same time, it has big-city amenities like a killer airport and a decent restaurant scene. Yet 30 mins away, you can be in rural surroundings. That's what I mean by a small/big city.

Thats what I was thinking, just making sure I didnt misinterpret your posts. I do agree aboout the big/small city feel.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
[quote=chopchop0;23990082
Compared to where it was 20 years ago, Orlando has evolved quite a bit. I'm excited to see where things are in another 20 years. I like the small/big city feel of Orlando. I'd hate for it to turn into the next LA or Miami[/QUOTE]

It's evolved in terms of size but there really hasn't been any significant changes in the economy other than more tourism-related businesses opening up. The downtown area for all practical purposes is for show as much of the vertical construction remains empty or is surrounded by empty space. Lake Nona/Medical City is repeated over and over again as an achievement but in my opinion still lacks impact in terms of physical presence while economic impact might be more apparent. In my opinion economic change is minimal while as always the peripheral change has been quite large in terms of more strip centers, hotels and motels, chain restaurants, gas stations and convenience stores. It's not like we needed more, rather simply abandoned the old and built new leaving the old to fall into decay or sit vacant. Quite frankly I can see Orlando becoming another LA or Miami....without the attributes.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's evolved in terms of size but there really hasn't been any significant changes in the economy other than more tourism-related businesses opening up. The downtown area for all practical purposes is for show as much of the vertical construction remains empty or is surrounded by empty space. Lake Nona/Medical City is repeated over and over again as an achievement but in my opinion still lacks impact in terms of physical presence while economic impact might be more apparent. In my opinion economic change is minimal while as always the peripheral change has been quite large in terms of more strip centers, hotels and motels, chain restaurants, gas stations and convenience stores. It's not like we needed more, rather simply abandoned the old and built new leaving the old to fall into decay or sit vacant. Quite frankly I can see Orlando becoming another LA or Miami....without the attributes.
The economy of Central FL is actually quite diverse IMO and isnt completely dependant on tourism like Las Vegas is (a metro area of similar population size as well)

The economy here wont falter like it would in Vegas if a few big conventions were to skip out or if tourism were to drop, at least not in Orange County and Seminole County which arent tourism dependant like Osceola County is

But nobody really cares about Osceola County anyway. Do they?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The economy of Central FL is actually quite diverse IMO and isnt completely dependant on tourism like Las Vegas is (a metro area of similar population size as well)

The economy here wont falter like it would in Vegas if a few big conventions were to skip out or if tourism were to drop, at least not in Orange County and Seminole County which arent tourism dependant like Osceola County is

But nobody really cares about Osceola County anyway. Do they?

Thats actually a good point. Osceola County is the one that is most dependent on the tourism.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Thats actually a good point. Osceola County is the one that is most dependent on the tourism.
And to a degree, Polk county. With legoland, and the folks that live/rent in northern polk county to be near the parks.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateboardB View Post
This might be a wried suggestion but I'd like to see more skyscrappers within the Orlando Downtown area. Its skyline is sooo small, and Orlando is such a big city. You may not think about it but a lot people are attracted to City Skylines. I think the tallest building there is 500 feet. Now I'm not saying we need to be like NY, or Philly or something, but I'd like to see some more skyscrappers in Orlando. I think that would be a nice addition to the downtown area.
Actually sky scrapers turn me on. The sun trust building is the tallest at 441 ft. I wish we had severity
Quote:
And to a degree, Polk county. With legoland, and the folks that live/rent in northern polk county to be near the parks.
well I thought polk was with tampa?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Actually sky scrapers turn me on. The sun trust building is the tallest at 441 ft. I wish we had severity

well I thought polk was with tampa?
It splits actually. Davenport/Haines City/Northern polk county has a lot of the theme park workforce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando