U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
 
Location: The O
2,303 posts, read 2,276,558 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Wow, talk about an exaggeration. You really don't know the meaning of dirt-poor if you think that most of Orlando is in this classification!
Exactly. the city is doing well for itself and the growth and list of projects I created proves that. What other city is making an $8 Billion effort to improve it's economy and diversify it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Isn't that a microcosm of the whole country with the 1%/99% thing? The fact remains that Orlando has amenities closer to a mid-tier big city like Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Austin, etc. rather than a rural third-world minimum wage slave town that you and Kyle are trying to make it out to be.
Yes, that small city big city field. As I stay with my attitude that remains positive about the outlook of the city. I'm quite happy with orlando and has convinced me to staying here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
What difference does it make if they work in Seminole County or not? My post was not to show Seminole County as being the location of high paying jobs. It was to show that people living in Seminole County, whom we can assume work in the Orlando area, have high paying jobs.

Bottom line is that they work in the Orlando area making Orlando area wages. These wages are similar to the averages in the other major metro areas of Florida. Thus, why should Tampa, South Florida, or Jacksonville be considered to have more high-paying jobs and be able to sustain things like a Performing Arts Center while we supposedly can't? I keep hearing that our service industry wages can't support these things. Apparently some people must be making more than $8 to have these median averages. What I see is a city that is basically on equal footing, salary-wise, to other areas in the region.
Sorry Pete I agreed with your overall Idea. I just didnt understand your first part but I re read it and I got it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
If you see reality as negativism, so be it. Where else have you lived ? Do you have any place with which to compare Orlando ? Please do tell how you would get more professionals and the companies that employ them to come to Orlando and change the minimum wage mentality of the area. Orlando is perfect for the right kind of people and if the shoe fits, go ahead and wear it.
A Job is a Job. This city id doing a fine job, and yes it is negative, I mean again what other city in this economy is pulling in projects as diverse as Orlando worth about $8Billion? My attitude remains healthy about the overall outlook for Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
FAA restrictions play a large part in that. Downtown is close to executive....

Actually there are no such restrictions. Only theory. FAA doesn't want to change it's executive flight path which is directly over downtown. any Building higher than the 441 ft would make the FAA forced to change their flight path, thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not negativity, it's reality and fact, which is something you clearly don't have a handle on. People like yourself are the reason why the area is in the predicament it's in with your "Everything is beautiful in Orlando" rose-colored glasses on and personally have never seen a more complacent group of citizens than I've seen here. This is a discussion forum about the City Of Orlando, and not a Chamber of Commerce chat room so if you don't like to hear things that upset your one dimensional view of this city, I would suggest forming a support group so you can talk on and on about how Medical City, SunRail and DPAC are going to make the city somethin' special.
One dimensional? Your inaccuracy about "me" is hilarious. In the past. I've been one of the most bashing people towards Orlando while I was unhappy and unaware of what was taking place, and I for one am not where I want to be but has learned to make the best out of this city. At least I've taken the time and allowed an open mind about what is good about living and being here instead of what I disagree with. Im sure the people who move here and or go to school here are quite aware of the economy as Orlando has made that name for themselves, but to say people are stupid or the general population is incapable or doesn't want to progress as a city, is completely unnecessary but aye, opinions can not be dismissed as everyone is entitled and encouraged to share one.Whether you agree how the city is run or the lack of SUPERB diversity in it's economy, is fine but to dismiss the positiveness of the outlook of the general area and city is negativeness glorified. I'm not stupid, nor am I an idiot. I clearly understand what thread this is and what it is about. this particular thread in which I started was for the overall chatter about the outlook of the city as it strives to improve, whether you like the outlook or not that is an opinion and does not offend me nor makes me one dimensional thinker as I choose to adress your lack of positiveness on this thread an any other about Orlando progressing.

Appreciate the feedback of your thoughts though. Like I said, we are all different ages, with different vies, so it's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Thornton Park, Orlando
480 posts, read 357,077 times
Reputation: 225
I have lived all over Florida (excluding Miami). I have lived in Charlotte, I have lived in Philadelphia, I have lived in a major city in the UK, and I have spent a considerable amount of time in New York, Charleston SC, and New Jersey. Compared to all of those places and to all the places I've visited (every state except those on the West Coast, and 5 other countries), Orlando is NOT bad off. It is smaller (compact downtown) and has more sprawl than similar size cities, but it has as much or more than most similar size cities. Also, the people are no poorer, the houses are not crappier, the jobs are no different, and the traffic really is not any worse (I'd put Orlando smack in the middle). And the crime and the perception of safety are also about the same.

And unlike most of those cities... Orlando seems (and is, I believe) less racist, less segregated, and more accepting. And Orlando is growing... both in population and in what it offers.

Unemployment, poverty, etc. are a problem everywhere right now.

I can name a bunch of things I dislike about Orlando... and I can name a ton of things I love. I'm sure everyone feels that way about every city they live in. No place is perfect, no place is all good all the time. Choosing a place to live means sacrificing one thing for another. To live in Boston, a really great city, you have to put up with freezing winters and annoying accents. To live in Charleston, you put up with heat and humidity and a bit more racism than should still exist today. To live in Philadelphia, you put up with living in a teeny tiny apartment for 2000k per month and you deal with having your bike or car stolen every other month. But you get everything else that Philly has to offer.

I don't like the heat, but I hate the cold more. I like an urban environment, and while I wish Orlando was about 25% bigger, it suits me. I don't have to deal with the traffic because I am self-employed and make my own hours. I have not been to a theme park in 10 years. I love Orlando's art and (growing) lit scene. I love being outside during the winter. I love the trees and lakes and farmers markets and outdoor festivals. I love being close to the beach and close to other metro areas. Education in Florida sucks... but it sucks everywhere, just in different ways. And I don't have to pay state taxes here, which balances it out for me because I could use that money to pay for a tutor or buy supplies to help or encourage my child to learn at home - something all parents should be doing anyway.

As for the "minimum wage mentality" - do you really think that is exclusive to Orlando? And do you really think Orlando is that much worse than everywhere else? It is not. And while I know people who are struggling in Orlando, I also know many people who are struggling all over the country. ALL OVER.

Orlando is exactly what I want, even though I'd change some things *in an ideal world* - and I am sure Orlando is fine or good or even great for a lot of other people.

Some of you never have anything but negative stuff to say (and I know that has been said a million times before). But WHY? Why do you even bother if you are so unhappy with this city? If you live here, maybe you should spend some time improving your life instead of ranting about how much Orlando sucks on City Data all the time. And if you don't live here, maybe you should go to your own board.

This forum is for people seeking help and information. If you are gonna offer the bad, at least be honest and share the good things about this city.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
If you see reality as negativism, so be it. Where else have you lived ? Do you have any place with which to compare Orlando ? Please do tell how you would get more professionals and the companies that employ them to come to Orlando and change the minimum wage mentality of the area. Orlando is perfect for the right kind of people and if the shoe fits, go ahead and wear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
 
Location: The O
2,303 posts, read 2,276,558 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
I have lived all over Florida (excluding Miami). I have lived in Charlotte, I have lived in Philadelphia, I have lived in a major city in the UK, and I have spent a considerable amount of time in New York, Charleston SC, and New Jersey. Compared to all of those places and to all the places I've visited (every state except those on the West Coast, and 5 other countries), Orlando is NOT bad off. It is smaller (compact downtown) and has more sprawl than similar size cities, but it has as much or more than most similar size cities. Also, the people are no poorer, the houses are not crappier, the jobs are no different, and the traffic really is not any worse (I'd put Orlando smack in the middle). And the crime and the perception of safety are also about the same.

And unlike most of those cities... Orlando seems (and is, I believe) less racist, less segregated, and more accepting. And Orlando is growing... both in population and in what it offers.

Unemployment, poverty, etc. are a problem everywhere right now.

I can name a bunch of things I dislike about Orlando... and I can name a ton of things I love. I'm sure everyone feels that way about every city they live in. No place is perfect, no place is all good all the time. Choosing a place to live means sacrificing one thing for another. To live in Boston, a really great city, you have to put up with freezing winters and annoying accents. To live in Charleston, you put up with heat and humidity and a bit more racism than should still exist today. To live in Philadelphia, you put up with living in a teeny tiny apartment for 2000k per month and you deal with having your bike or car stolen every other month. But you get everything else that Philly has to offer.

I don't like the heat, but I hate the cold more. I like an urban environment, and while I wish Orlando was about 25% bigger, it suits me. I don't have to deal with the traffic because I am self-employed and make my own hours. I have not been to a theme park in 10 years. I love Orlando's art and (growing) lit scene. I love being outside during the winter. I love the trees and lakes and farmers markets and outdoor festivals. I love being close to the beach and close to other metro areas. Education in Florida sucks... but it sucks everywhere, just in different ways. And I don't have to pay state taxes here, which balances it out for me because I could use that money to pay for a tutor or buy supplies to help or encourage my child to learn at home - something all parents should be doing anyway.

As for the "minimum wage mentality" - do you really think that is exclusive to Orlando? And do you really think Orlando is that much worse than everywhere else? It is not. And while I know people who are struggling in Orlando, I also know many people who are struggling all over the country. ALL OVER.

Orlando is exactly what I want, even though I'd change some things *in an ideal world* - and I am sure Orlando is fine or good or even great for a lot of other people.

Some of you never have anything but negative stuff to say (and I know that has been said a million times before). But WHY? Why do you even bother if you are so unhappy with this city? If you live here, maybe you should spend some time improving your life instead of ranting about how much Orlando sucks on City Data all the time. And if you don't live here, maybe you should go to your own board.

This forum is for people seeking help and information. If you are gonna offer the bad, at least be honest and share the good things about this city.
Great post. I've actually never lived in city limits of Orlando, but can honestly say from visiting cities such as NY, Philly, Tampa, Miami, D.C., And Even ft. Lauderdale, Orlando is doing fine.
The city is not in debt, the taxes are low, and again $8Billion worth of projects coming to the area, a rapidly growing downtown, a rapidly increasing interest in vertical building and urban renewing, all are steps which people continue to dismiss. Whether Orlando is taking leaps or baby steps the point of me making this thread was to show the positives for people moving here or seeking some GOOD information about the city. I know the economy is not that good and certain career fields are not fitted in this area, but overall opportunity is here and it's a damn good thing. I'm sure nobody wants the negativity in every thread started. I should have said something as far as TRYING TO STAY POSITIVE, but as people are entitled to an opinion so be it, I appreciate the people who understand the good things happening. Im aware of everything bad here, hell all we have to do is turn on the news each morning. SMh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Stone's throw from John's Creek
1,284 posts, read 835,858 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
As for the "minimum wage mentality" - do you really think that is exclusive to Orlando? And do you really think Orlando is that much worse than everywhere else? It is not. And while I know people who are struggling in Orlando, I also know many people who are struggling all over the country. ALL OVER.
Find me a city of Orlando's size that has as high a ratio of minimum wage to total worker population as Orlando (x/c for maybe Las Vegas). If you read my posts, I was referring to changing the demographic in Orlando by attracting more professionals / major corporations to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
 
1,377 posts, read 2,616,200 times
Reputation: 948
Orlando's new catch phrase still viable after 15 years should be "exceed all customers expectations for minimum wage." Nevermind the HR dept when you get hurt. Okay, now for my daily dose of minority crime, habla espanol papi? Orlando sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
 
4,755 posts, read 4,082,191 times
Reputation: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Pittsburgh, Austin and to a lesser extent Charlotte have amenities far exceeding Orlando's which as already pointed out has to be one of the reasons why we keep having these conversations, you obviously haven't lived outside the area or have lived someplace else with even fewer amenities. Or perhaps it's your definition of amenities (counting the theme parks?)... You seem like an intelligent person otherwise so I can't think you really believe that Orlando is another Pittsburgh or Austin.
I've lived in Pittsburgh for an extended period of time, and have visited the other two cities with some frequency. In terms of the shopping scene, restaurant scene, and quality of the airport, Orlando certainly belongs with those. I would argue that, except for Charlotte because of the US airways hub, it has a much better airport. Pittsburgh does have slightly better arts, but then again, it's a much older and more established city than Orlando. After all, it was founded in 1787

Don't be jealous because you aren't seeing the well-heeled locals in the Orlando MSA. They aren't unicorns, and do in fact exist. They work in law, medicine, small businesses, real estate, and management/administration of the various hotels and attractions in the Orlando area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
 
4,755 posts, read 4,082,191 times
Reputation: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Find me a city of Orlando's size that has as high a ratio of minimum wage to total worker population as Orlando (x/c for maybe Las Vegas). If you read my posts, I was referring to changing the demographic in Orlando by attracting more professionals / major corporations to the area.
I guess this isn't enough for you

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
384 posts, read 470,955 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Actually there are no such restrictions. Only theory. FAA doesn't want to change it's executive flight path which is directly over downtown. any Building higher than the 441 ft would make the FAA forced to change their flight path, thats all.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 09:38 AM
 
491 posts, read 1,281,569 times
Reputation: 344
I am from NYC and my husband is from North of Boston. I went to college in Baltimore, MD. We lived in Orlando for nearly 6 years and are ready to move back. We miss it. We moved back to MA (North of Boston) 2 years ago for a job with great benefits but regret it. One of the big reasons we moved to FL the 1st time was the weather here. It really does suck. Too bad because it is a great area. The weather from the end of October till the end of May is awful. I look out the window and there are still dead, bare trees. It is 52 and windy right now. The weather here really takes a toll on you. Even if you can get away for a week in the winter. This past winter was not even that bad as far as snow. It is just the months on end of gray, dead, cold, wind.

At one time jobs paid much more up North too. Not the case anymore. My sister is making $11.75/hour as a graphic artist/Advertising for a major grocery chain (think high end.) In Boston. Where rent is $1,500/month for a 1/1 . With a degree. I made more than that as an entry level admin at Disney. My husband makes what he made in FL. Professional positions are about the same as FL now. I think expenses are pretty equal. Electric and groceries are more there. Gas heat and rents/mortgages are more here. Insurance is a lot in FL, property tax is a lot here.

We feel we were happier in FL. We were outside more (we like the heat.) We had many friends and lots of things to do. Restaurants are good (and can be expensive) in both areas but the service here is God awful! They act like they are doing you a favor. Curt, slow, mistakes, ugg... We don't even go out that often because it is night and day compared to the service in FL. Disney and Universal are lucky at the quality of people they get!

We go to museums and shows in both areas but sorry nothing can compare to NYC for that (except London, Paris, Rome, etc.) We enjoyed the OMA and the little theater across from it. We are not big sports fans and that is huge in Boston. We liked the Wide World of Sports and the events that went on there (Braves Spring Training, gymnastics and martial arts competitions, etc.) There is always something going on in Orlando and on the coasts. Cruise ports are close. The airport is great. And yes, we love the theme parks!

So anyway Orlando is luring these 2 back from Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
 
3,177 posts, read 3,852,837 times
Reputation: 1406
I really do feel like people who have only negative things to say about Orlando are either 1.) just plain haters, or 2.) don't realize that all these "great areas" also have huge trade offs. Sure the pay here is comparatively low but spend a night watching HGTV and see what $250k buys you in the northeast or New England. See what it takes to buy a 3/2 home in parts of the west coast (nearly $600k).

People complain Orlando is too spread out, but these are likely the same people that refuse to live anywhere without their own personal garages and a yard, they fueled the urban sprawl. However, Orlando (city proper) as it is, is almost completely developed (except Lake Nona). The city limits are fairly small when you consider a good chunk of the city limits incorporates Orlando International. The only real way Orlando city proper population can grow is to annex more land into the city limits or to increase the density within the current limits. Half the population of CFL will never live in the Orlando city limits. For that to happen we would literally have to be rebuilt into Manhattan style density. However, it should be pointed out that nearly half of the CFL population already do live in Orange County, so CFL is somewhat centralized in that sense. Although CFL extends out into 2 additional counties in each direction, those areas are really suburbs and exurbs. Seminole county has less than 500k residents I think, less than half of Orange. Osceola county even fewer.

I have also lived all over the country. There are great areas that I would like to see Orlando more similar to, but at the same time I realize with that type of growth will come trade offs in some quality of life issues. I don't think Orlando is perfect, but I can tell you in my experience it is far from horrible...and for me, it's a great place to be right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top