U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,449,057 times

Advertisements

Alright, so we always have discussions and threads about what is happening in Orlando. This thread is to discuss and share about the outlook for the city and area, as well as your opinions on plans and what we need to see, and can expect to see. Being we are all different ages, have different jobs, and distinguished personalities and opinions I think this thread will contribute to the already busy Orlando column as well as give readers an opportunity to know "Whats Happening" from an economic "Recovery" standpoint around the Orlando area. I listed just a few major ones I could remember off the top of my head. Feel free to share your opinion and add!

$8Billion Worth of projects for the area!

Wekiva Parkway - $2 Billion
$1.66B Wekiva Parkway on way toward ground breaking in fall - Orlando Sentinel

I-4 Toll Roads and Bridge Improvements - $2 Billion
Toll lanes coming to Interstate 4 (http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/traffic/041112-toll-lanes-coming-to-interstate-4 - broken link)
Mica Wavers On I-4 Toll Opposition - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/news/28609270/detail.html - broken link)

SunRail - $1.5 Billion, although not entirely in Orlando, still significant impact.

Orlando International Airport Renovations - $475 Million
Orlando Airport Expansion: If You Build It, They Will Come - Will New Florida High Speed Rail Connect with OIA? : Florida Commercial News : Florida Real Estate Attorney & Lawyer for Land & Retail Development, & Leasing : Eckstein Schechter Law

Magic Kingdom Expansion - $450 Million
Giant expansion of Disney's Magic Kingdom features multiattractions galore - Tampa Bay Times

New Performing Arts Center - $400 Million
City of Orlando Community Venues

Orlando Health - $300 Million
Orlando Health announces $297M expansion - Orlando Business Journal

ORMC expansion: Orlando Regional Medical Center announced $300 million expansion plans for 2012 - Orlando Sentinel

The Rida Downtown SunRail LCS Development - $200 Million
Downtown development: Central Station would bring $200 million in downtown development - Orlando Sentinel

The Renovation For Festival Bay Mall - $100 Million
Festival Bay will get major makeover, could return as open-air shopping complex - Orlando Sentinel

Festival Bay owner prepares $100M revamp - Orlando Business Journal

The Expansion of Orlando Prime Outlet -$1300 Per sq ft, 80,000 sq. ft.= Approx $100 Million
Orlando-area outlet malls continue to grow - Orlando Sentinel

The I-Drive Live Project - $100 Million
I-Drive Live: Developers embrace new name for International Drive wheel attraction - Orlando Sentinel

Orlando Theme Park News: Preview of the New "I-Drive LIVE" Project

The Orlando Magic - $100 Million Development
Orlando Magic: The Orlando Magic are given an exclusive purchase option on a city-owned garage. - Orlando Sentinel

I Shops - $50 Million
I-Shops International Drive: Unicorp reveals plans of I-Shops development on I-Drive - Orlando Sentinel

Florida Hospital Mixed Use - $30 Million
Florida Hospital details new $29M mixed-use building - Orlando Business Journal

Florida Hospital Expansion - $25 Million
Florida Hospital Plans $25-Million Expansion for Orlando | News from other sources | ENR Southeast | McGraw-Hill Construction

The Expansion of Fun Spot - $20 Million
Fun Spot Expansion Plans - ParkRumors.com

Winnie Palmer Expansion - $13 Million
News

Lymmo BRT Expansion - $13 Million
Lynx, city finalize plans for $12.5M Lymmo expansion - Orlando Business Journal

Sea World Expansion - Undisclosed cost
SeaWorld new rides: SeaWorld Orlando is expected to announce today three new attractions to be built over the next two years - Orlando Sentinel

The Creative Village - No specific cost, but will stimulate the economic drive in Orlando specifically downtown.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 AM

12,516 posts, read 12,698,144 times
These are all terrific projects and will certainly benefit those in the construction trades, those looking to work in the service industry or tourists coming to/from Disney but beyond that I see little if any positive for the city/region. To progress beyond where we are now we'll need to see diversification beyond an employment sector that largely prides itself on offering lots of $8 an hour part-time jobs without benefits.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 AM

4,910 posts, read 4,488,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
These are all terrific projects and will certainly benefit those in the construction trades, those looking to work in the service industry or tourists coming to/from Disney but beyond that I see little if any positive for the city/region. To progress beyond where we are now we'll need to see diversification beyond an employment sector that largely prides itself on offering lots of $8 an hour part-time jobs without benefits.
Creation of the ucf college of medicine and expansion at ormc, fh and the medical city should help with that diversification. Healthcare jobs are usually higher wage, higher benefit jobs

Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 AM

12,516 posts, read 12,698,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Creation of the ucf college of medicine and expansion at ormc, fh and the medical city should help with that diversification. Healthcare jobs are usually higher wage, higher benefit jobs
UCF/Medical City is old news and was much needed. Florida Hospital's expansion is for new administrative offices (same people moved around) and ORMC's involves a 30 bed NeoNatal ICU which will add around 100 jobs which is nice but not going to change the face of the city's demographics.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 AM

42 posts, read 61,646 times
Quote:
Very good point!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 AM

4,910 posts, read 4,488,901 times
Quote:
UCF/Medical City is old news and was much needed. Florida Hospital's expansion is for new administrative offices (same people moved around) and ORMC's involves a 30 bed NeoNatal ICU which will add around 100 jobs which is nice but not going to change the face of the city's demographics.
They are doing much more than that at ormc. Also fh is building up the main campus and adding buildings in celebration. Ormc is spending $300 million over the next few years to build out a number of services, including a big expansion of their cancer center. The proton center at MD Anderson will be at least $20-30 million on its own

ORMC expansion: Orlando Regional Medical Center announced $300 million expansion plans for 2012 - Orlando Sentinel

Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 9,546 times
This is so exciting...I recently moved from FL for a job, I can't wait to move back in a few years.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM

28 posts, read 33,766 times
These are all exciting projects going on for Orlando. I hope that this will also attract more companies outside of tourism to the area.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM

8,893 posts, read 14,853,676 times
i saw in the paper this morning that the Sunrail will create 100,000 jobs.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 PM

28 posts, read 33,766 times
Right now I work in A/R, if one of those 100,000 jobs is in that field sign me up! I would need to convince my girlfriend though. She is determined to stay in New England for the time being and isn't sure if she ever wants to return to FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando