Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,296,271 times

Advertisements

Great post, thanks for sharing. If you haven't been yet, you should definitely try:

Rolandos-Cuban
Thai Basil
Sushi Pop
Bubbalous
4 Rivers

All great non chain restaurants with locations near Tuskawilla. BTW I agree with you on the crazy drivers on Red Bug and Semoran and I'm not even sure why it is considering it's not a touristy area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 17,626 times
In response to the posts:

Insulation-I am sure it would help but I also know this is strictly a rental property as far as the owner is concerned and I really don't think she could handle the expense however if it was our home, we would definitely do it : )

Gifted Program-Our middle schooler would never qualify as his academic challenges make it difficult to even be on grade level. I believe if special education didn't have the stigma it does and those educators were as supported as gifted programs, there would be more enthusiasm for teaching and learning. As it stands I think they just try to keep their head above water.

Black Hammock-will add it to the list, we are always open to trying!!

Metrowest-I honestly don't know much about areas other than where we live but I'm sure you could start a post with your specific questions because a good, safe location can make or break your enjoyment of the area!

Crane's Rooster-Thanks for the suggestions-haven't tried the first two but have tried the others!! We are HUGE fans of 4 Rivers, being native Midwesterners who appreciate great BBQ!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,963,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Fam View Post
We have a medium sized retention pond behind our house and we love to see what birds are visiting for the day-cranes, ducks, ibises (another favorite), herons, hawks, etc.
I'm really glad you're enjoying living in Florida, and I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I just want to caution you around that retention pond, or any body of water larger than a puddle, including water hazards on golf courses: For your own safety and that of your kids and pets, assume that there is a gator living in that pond. There probably isn't, but it's best to be cautious.

And if ever a gator appears in a neighborhood body of water, do not feed it and do not let your neighbors feed it. Feeding gators makes them lose their fear of humans, and makes them associate humans with food. That makes them really dangerous.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,788,533 times
Did you say you had someone break into your car in your Tuskawilla neighborhood? What a bummer. We were thinking of moving over there from the Clermont area. Someone was in my driveway here at 1:30AM Saturday night trying to get into my car. They got a GPS from the guy two homes down. I guess this is happening all over the place. So far, our crew is only targeting unlocked cars.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM

457 posts, read 623,421 times
I'm still gagging on insurance and tolls. I wonder if any city has as many tolls.

But the weather is so nice and there is so much to do!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 PM

257 posts, read 821,682 times
woo thanks for that very detailed report. We're in NYC (moving very soon, from St. A originally), and I'm happy to see most of your negatives are things I can't imagine Orlando can beat NYC in...ie bad drivers. People don't even choose a lane to drive in here. Sometimes this board scares me.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,521,513 times
Hey USMC, glad to hear you and your family are loving Orlando, all the positive that you listed about the city is what orlando is all about and the orlando that I grew up in

Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 AM

11 posts, read 17,626 times
So far no alligators in the pond but I promise I would never feed them!!! As a native Midwestern family, I am sure we would all be terrified even if it was 12 inches long LOL!!

Yes the break ins were in the Tuskawilla area but only unlocked cars. It was two teens who were taking change from the cars (didn't keep any of the valuables ie: GPS, IPods, etc.). They were arrested and charged and the Police Dept. has done a great job keeping us informed of proceedings with the two. Break ins are rare here but it does happen occasionally according to my neighbors. I still feel safe here but common sense always rules : )

Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM

771 posts, read 1,453,557 times
Cool report, thanks for sharing your experience. I agree with pretty much everything, but especially with a these things:

Stuff to do: Few places in America have as many entertainment options as Orlando. There's just so much to do within a 2/3 hours its overwhelming.

Landscape/Natural Beauty: I love Florida's flora and fauna too, and Orlando gives you quick access to both the Pacific and Gulf coats.

Heat: It takes some time to get used to it! That feeling of going into a store and feeling a huge blast of cold air is one that I've always strongly associated with Orlando. A/C has truly been a game changer in the history of central Florida (and the south in general really).

Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,839,103 times
Good, unbiased report!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando