Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 PM

693 posts, read 1,040,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPS3Ninja View Post
I don't live in Orlando [yet] but we vacation about 3-4 times a year. If you can swing it I recommend getting Universal's "cut the line pass" of whatever they call it, but it's really worth the price imho.
Another friend told us about the pass. I'm not one for waiting in long lines so I think we will definitely upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 PM

Thanks to all the input! It certainly makes the decision to focus on the parks easier. Maybe we'll spend the extra day lounging at the hotel pool.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
Going to visit both. Aside from travel days, we have six full days to visit the parks and see other sites. This is our first time visiting and I'm not sure we'll go back. So far, we're allotting 3 days for Disney and 2 for Universal, but that only leaves one day to see the city of Orlando. So how much time is recommended for Disney World and Universal?

Well you may not need three days fully at Disney, but other than that your schedule is on par.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
Thanks to all the input! It certainly makes the decision to focus on the parks easier. Maybe we'll spend the extra day lounging at the hotel pool.
Don't listen to people saying nothing in Orlando is worth seeing...that is ridiculous. I am not sure your taste and if you like upscale shopping and dining areas, but if you do, head to Park Avenue in Winter Park and spend a day popping in and out of shops and eating outside in front of one of the many restaurants, cafes, or wine bars. It is a beautiful area that is worth visiting if you don't want to do the theme park thing that day. Visit the Morse Museum at the north end for something a bit different from the typical art museum. Another fun thing just a couple blocks walk from Park Ave is the Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour...a fun trip on the Winter Park chain of lakes and a unique view of many of the beautiful homes there.

Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour
Welcome to Scenic Boat Tour - Winter Park, Florida

Morse Museum
Louis Comfort Tiffany, the Morse Museum, Orlando, Florida

If you have some money to spend and like a swanky vibe, eat at Luma on Park...it's arguably the best local restaurant in the city. Prato would also be a great choice, an Italian/Neapolitan pizza place started by the same chef as Luma. If you like to sample wine, check out the Wine Room where you can put money on a card and try loads of different wines. It's the largest wine bar of this type in the country.

Luma on Park
Luma on Park : the ultimate destination for fine wine and cuisine on Winter Park’s famed Park Avenue

Prato
Prato, Winter Park FL

The Wine Room
Wine Orlando, Wine Bar Orlando, Winter Park Restaurants

Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Well you may not need three days fully at Disney, but other than that your schedule is on par.
With kids 2 days for Magic Kingdom if you plan to do meet and greets, see the parade and wishes.... It is actually larger than Disneyland and rides are not all the same.

1 full day for Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios, and Epcot..

With or without kids you might want 2 days at Epcot to do everything there and eat some great meals. It is a very large park. Illuminations a must see. We sometimes even do the missions for Kim Possible even though we don't have kids.

Disney Studios try to be there for Fantasmic one night.

You might even just spend a day riding transportation to go check out all the resorts, eat at Beaches and Cream, etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
I'd suggest you try to work in a rest/waterpark day.

And, my personal preference, I'd skip Universal and head to Tampa for Busch Gardens. I don't do Sea World anymore, though I do like that both parks have the refill cup and the brisket place to eat at.

Or just skip the non-Disney.

I suggest using Yelp to find restaurants in the area you might like.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM

I'm traveling with my husband, 10 yr old son and mother-in-law who will probably enjoy seeing shows and shopping more than anything else.

I went to boot camp in Orlando 20+ years ago and just read online that the Recruit Training Center was redeveloped into an area with homes/shopping, etc. I was a little disappointed about that because I wanted to see if there was any remnants of it. But then again, I know the base closed several years ago.

I'm sure we'll probably decide once we get there on whether to see more of the sites or not. I want more of Disney and my husband wants to spend more time at Universal (never mind what the kid wants ). The tickets we're purchasing on base include a 4 day hopper for Disney and a 2 day hopper for Universal. If we can see most of Universal in one day that will definitely free up some time to do other things.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 27,633 times
10 years old is a good age for Universal IMO, so it's not like visiting Universal would be a waste - he'll get a lot out of it. My oldest daughter, who was 7 when we last visited Universal, was tall enough for all but The Hulk and maybe one other if I recall currently, so you should be good. It was difficult telling my youngest she wasn't tall enough to go on some of the rides and is one of the main reasons we go to Disney so much more often. If you do free up an extra day for disney or do the "park hopper" pass I wholeheartedly recommend both water parks. We spent about 6 hours a Blizzard Beach and closed it out the girls were having so much fun. Ended up skipping dinner because they were asleep before we left the parking lot and then got a late start on the next day, but they continually ask to go back.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
With kids 2 days for Magic Kingdom if you plan to do meet and greets, see the parade and wishes.... It is actually larger than Disneyland and rides are not all the same.

1 full day for Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios, and Epcot..

With or without kids you might want 2 days at Epcot to do everything there and eat some great meals. It is a very large park. Illuminations a must see. We sometimes even do the missions for Kim Possible even though we don't have kids.

Disney Studios try to be there for Fantasmic one night.

You might even just spend a day riding transportation to go check out all the resorts, eat at Beaches and Cream, etc.

Ohh yeah see I didnt factor in children i forgot. I go every month with my girlfriend were 21 so we can move around a lot faster!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Just some feedback on the trip . . . We did 3 days of Disney and both the Universal Parks. We went to Downtown Disney on the last day. I have never walked so much in my life! I needed a vacation from my vacation. We had a great time though. Thanks for all your suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando