Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:04 PM

119 posts, read 610,593 times

Advertisements

haha, satkins I have seen that car. Drivers are bad in Orlando, but I think they are in all the Fla larger cities, Orlando isn't special. I also don't think Orlandoans are more rude than other larger city people (although I find Jax people extra nice). If you think people in Orlando are rude, try Miami out--you'll get a new perspective very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 11:00 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
"but I think they are in all the Fla larger cities"

and any small towns all the ny/nj ppl move to

"although I find Jax people extra nice). If you think people in Orlando are rude, try Miami out--you'll get a new perspective very quickly."

jax folks are really friendly? interesting. oh, and for sure, miami and orlando = terrible drivers. gee, i wonder why.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 AM

127 posts, read 499,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satkins12 View Post
Oh and this is really random but has anyone ever seen an older car driving around with about a million animal figurines glued to it, a giant cross on the roof, and a bunch of Bible verses written all over it?? I've seen it twice now on International Drive.

hehe yeah i see that car all the time...the most recent was prob 1 month ago when i was on my way to Sea World.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:02 PM

63 posts, read 225,647 times
where is there a subway in orlando? do you mean bus stop?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,205 times
I hear you - we relocated from Cleveland/Columbus and the driving was a complete shock to us also. The commuting time sucks also, My husband and I feel city planning plays a part, who would have thought Orlando would populate so many people and supply only one true artery (I-4).

Old 10-06-2007, 09:25 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,803 times
Orlando has no city planning, really. Never had. The main problem with the area is that the east-west connectivity is fairly poor and there are too few roads and overstressed arteries- very few neighborhood streets for local traffic (and what few there are, get speed bumps, yuck). The developement is also extremely use-segregated. In some cases you have to drive at least 5-7miles before you go from residential to commercial. There are some parts of Orlando where the air is downright filthy some times of the year from auto exhaust.

The people are a mixed bag but mostly negative. I actually find the least rude people are the African-American residents, particularly outside of Orlando proper. They are the only people I've actually had come up and say hello to me and chat. The Whites and Latinos are about as equally rude, with the whites having a slight edge. White people I think are bitter here, because many came here with a bunch of dreams in their head about how Florida was going to be, and now they are finding its expensive to live here. Florida is on the frontlines of the war on the Middle Class, places like Ohio and the midwest are Ground Zero. They've already been whacked by the economic hitmen of globalization and free-market ideologues. Florida is virgin territory for them to rape.

It is an incredibly poor area for the most part and I have met some people that are really beaten down. I had a 40 something woman, who said she had bad credit, a few weeks ago act shocked when I told her my scooter cost 2k bucks used and yes, you had to have a motorcycle license to ride it. So many people here are just getting by and gas prices are killing them. The worst thing is, the political atmosphere here is mostly conservative new money types. Meaning they won't lift a tax finger to help their fellow human being. So people are wallowing in their depravity while others sit in their McMansions. The schools are garbage, their children aren't learning anything but how to get ready for a burger flipping future. The Mouse House has a dark underbelly that tourists don't always see.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 AM

555 posts, read 2,211,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer-2000 View Post
Hello All,
For working reasons I recently moved from Columbus, Ohio to Orlando, Fl. I have never lived in a city that has the aggressiveness level as huge. You can go anywhere around the city from a simple grocery store to the best luxury mall, people is always in a bad mud.
I totally understand that having to deal with tourist all day everyday during 365 days a year is the toughest thing a human can do, but they can’t change it, that is something they must know and have to realize before even considering living here. Orlando is Mickey’s main house and so it will always be like that.
Traffic is very nasty, the way people drive is at the very minimum level, they have no clue how to use the turn signals, change lines, and corner turns just name it.

It is sad that the number one tourist city in U.S.A. has a very poor level of service and general behavior towards other people, because whether they like it or not, Orlando is U.S.A’s face and first impression in front of the entire world, 40million tourist a year can totally say that.

Anyway, I’m very disappointed and I also know that many of you will reply to this email saying that I should move back to Ohio, well for those of you that’s not the case, we should be thinking in how can we all do to help changing this behavior or better start changing ourselves.

Thank you for reading.

I have a solution for you. Move out of Orlando into the outlying towns, away from the traffic and rude drivers. I live in Eustis and love the small town feel where the traffic can be bad on 441, but not bad at all off the main highway. It is worth it to me to commute into Orlando than to live there. I was at the Seminole mall yesterday, stressing out over the awful traffic asking myself why. I could have gone to the Lake Square Mall or local shops in Mt Dora and Eustis with a fraction of the headache. I have lived in the Orlando area since 1981 and all I can say is that I remember a different Orlando from years gone by. I have to give Eustis credit for addressing growth being that Orlando is becoming so crowded that the overflow has to go somewhere. Eustis gets set to allow new stores -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/news/longwood/orl-leustis3007sep30,0,6433205.story - broken link).
I only hope this side of Lake county stays the way it is.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:55 PM

54 posts, read 249,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Orlando has no city planning, really. Never had. The main problem with the area is that the east-west connectivity is fairly poor and there are too few roads and overstressed arteries- very few neighborhood streets for local traffic (and what few there are, get speed bumps, yuck). The developement is also extremely use-segregated. In some cases you have to drive at least 5-7miles before you go from residential to commercial. There are some parts of Orlando where the air is downright filthy some times of the year from auto exhaust.

The people are a mixed bag but mostly negative. I actually find the least rude people are the African-American residents, particularly outside of Orlando proper. They are the only people I've actually had come up and say hello to me and chat. The Whites and Latinos are about as equally rude, with the whites having a slight edge. White people I think are bitter here, because many came here with a bunch of dreams in their head about how Florida was going to be, and now they are finding its expensive to live here. Florida is on the frontlines of the war on the Middle Class, places like Ohio and the midwest are Ground Zero. They've already been whacked by the economic hitmen of globalization and free-market ideologues. Florida is virgin territory for them to rape.

It is an incredibly poor area for the most part and I have met some people that are really beaten down. I had a 40 something woman, who said she had bad credit, a few weeks ago act shocked when I told her my scooter cost 2k bucks used and yes, you had to have a motorcycle license to ride it. So many people here are just getting by and gas prices are killing them. The worst thing is, the political atmosphere here is mostly conservative new money types. Meaning they won't lift a tax finger to help their fellow human being. So people are wallowing in their depravity while others sit in their McMansions. The schools are garbage, their children aren't learning anything but how to get ready for a burger flipping future. The Mouse House has a dark underbelly that tourists don't always see.
Can you check & see if Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro & Kim Jung Il are available to govern Orlando more to your liking?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
actually, in orlando, they may actually get voted in (with last names like castro and chavez is what i meant).

Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 18,366 times
Explorer, I agree. Lived in the area for several years. Thought I was just being paranoid, or overly anxious, but I can almost tell you the same areas, same spots that will be problematic. It's almost funny.

For example, my nearby Publix grocery store is wonderful--but the parking lot out front is scary. People park in front of the door, right in front of your walking path instead of parking in the lot. (sort of an "I love me, who do you love?" attitude lol). I drive from west orange on the turnpike, connect to 408 east bound, get off near jyp and EVERYDAY I wish I had a camera set up. Never fails that I see a near miss collision.

On the other hand, I work with some great people who have lived here all their lives--met many, many other people here that have come from all over the world who are warm and welcoming but, yes, it's like no other place I've lived as far as bizarre, senseless aggression.

As for tourists?? No problem there with me--I try to be as helpful as possible--they keep my local taxes low! (well, lower....)

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando