Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times

Advertisements

features Story - BE AFRAID. BE VERY AFRAID

Here's a good link about how all the news stations blow up the crime just for ratings, excellent IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 03:37 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Those incedents are happening to someone though....and im sure the report you just put up could be about any news station in the country to

Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,442 times
Very interesting story and very informative. Thanks for the link.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 AM

20 posts, read 79,911 times
Regardless of how the media sensationalizes crime, it is happening and has increased substantially in Orlando over the past several years. Just take a look at some of the numbers of how much violent crime increased in Orlando between 05 and 06:

FBI: Murder rate soars in Orlando -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-fbicrime1906dec19,0,2369860.story - broken link)

Chart: Violent crime city by city -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokelly View Post
Regardless of how the media sensationalizes crime, it is happening and has increased substantially in Orlando over the past several years. Just take a look at some of the numbers of how much violent crime increased in Orlando between 05 and 06:

FBI: Murder rate soars in Orlando -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-fbicrime1906dec19,0,2369860.story - broken link)

Chart: Violent crime city by city -- OrlandoSentinel.com
Yeah I bet 90% of those crimes happen in Parramore and Pine Hills, add to that 1000 families a week moving here and what do you expect.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Thank you, Noodles, for giving some perspective to this issue. At least now I know why I've never felt threatened during the last 25 years. From reading the other posts here, I wondered if I was living in some alternate reality.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
they might be doing it b/c it is a cheap way to fill space, but the fact is that it is happening. i think you are missing the point. those stories DID happen, and they are not made up or pulled out of thin air. orlando's crime is high, period.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Thank you, Noodles, for giving some perspective to this issue. At least now I know why I've never felt threatened during the last 25 years. From reading the other posts here, I wondered if I was living in some alternate reality.
I read that you said you didnt even live in the city.....so how do you experience anything out near Bithlo?

Old 09-22-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
they might be doing it b/c it is a cheap way to fill space, but the fact is that it is happening. i think you are missing the point. those stories DID happen, and they are not made up or pulled out of thin air. orlando's crime is high, period.
yeah i agree backtofl......i always read how
"certain" people on here think it is fine and dandy and never saw a dispute in traffic in Orlando.....i think they are suspect when they say those things....i think they dont live in Orlando

Old 09-22-2007, 06:12 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I read that you said you didnt even live in the city.....so how do you experience anything out near Bithlo?
Bithlo? I have never said I lived anywhere near Bithlo. I currently live in east Orlando where I built a new home 2 years ago, before that I lived in Winter Park for almost 20 years and South Orlando for several years before that. My husband was born here and has lived here his entire life excluding the years he was pursuing his degrees.

I stand on my statement. Neither I nor anyone of my friends and family have ever experienced or been a victim of crime in Orlando. It is not around every corner on every street as you would like people to believe. I live a normal, everyday life, driving downtown to work and back home, walk the dog at midnight if I want, go shopping, etc. and have NEVER worried about criminal activity.

Now, if I lived in Pine Hills or Parramore....that would be a different story. My husband grew up in Parramore and his mother lived there until about 5 years ago. We worried about her constantly, it got to the point where we wouldn't let our son go and spend the night with her - we were concerned about a drive by shooting or something. If you live here, you know that about 90% of crime in this area happens in Pine Hills, Parramore or related area...I know there are exceptions so you don't have to repost and list them. That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of crime happens in a few bad areas.

My mother in law wasn't afraid of anything. She would stand at her kitchen window and watch drug deals take place. She and the little old lady next door shooed the prostitutes away from their street corner. We tried for years to get her to sell her house and move. What finally got her to move was when a detective stopped by her house as she was out watering her plants after dark one evening. He told her, "Lady, you need to get out of this neighborhood. You don't belong here." Her next door neighbor - a tiny, widowed women remained there until she died of a stroke last year. However, even living there, she wasn't a crime victim....but she witnessed ALOT of crime.

I'm not saying crime doesn't happen, what I'm saying is that most residents don't go through their everyday life, worried about getting attacked or robbed or worse. It's funny, how it's such a topic of conversation on this board and it has NEVER been a topic of conversation between me or any of my friends because it has never touched us personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando