Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM

74 posts, read 147,386 times

Advertisements

Hi to all,
I am a 36yr old married man with a 13 months old son. I was born in NY but I was raised in Greece. I returned back to the states were I graduated college in 2000. After that I moved back to Greece where I still live. Everything was great until up two years ago. Economy was booming, we had a great life, my career was elevating and everybody was happy. Everything is different now. Unemployment is +25%, goods are sky high (for example gas is 8.2$/gallon) and direct taxes are killing us slowly (45%). So, everything you probably hear from the news is true. Sorry for all the info and the dramatization.
By nature I act proactively and because I believe soon I will be unemployed I am thinking of moving in the states.
I picked FL because I got some family there plus my wife(she is Greek) will feel more comfortable with the warm weather there.
I am thinking of Orlando because it’s a midsized city (even though I live in Athens 4million people), I think ideal for young couples (is it?) and because of the tourist maybe multicultural.

I would be great full if you can help me with the following info.
1)Firstly, of course I will have to find a job there. I am currently a senior sales manager in the automotive industry (corporate not to a dealership). I know I will have to start low and start over again. Considering that I have a heavy Greek accent, probably I think I can find a salesman position at dealership. What do I have to expect salary wise? Am I too old for something like that?
2)A place to live. I will probably have to rent an apartment. Please help me with safe neighborhoods and an estimation of cost for a 3 bedroom one. Any info about utility bills can be helpful.
3)Frankly, I am worried about my wife and how she will feel there away from her family and friends. Anybody with experience from Europe and be able to compare willing to give me some advice? I know there is a Greek community there, but I think isn’t the best thing to do. I think is better to blend in and enjoy American way of living than sitting around Greeks discussing how Greece is great blah blah …how we miss everything, feta cheese mousaka and our ancient ruins etc if you know what I mean. I think though US is a completely different world compared to Europe and I am looking for essential everyday issues that may bother me.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,890,307 times
Dealerships don't pay salary, they are generally commission only. You will possibly face discrimination. This is a hard way to make a living.

Three bedroom apartments are hard to find, you'd be better off renting a house. Plan on at least $1400/mo for a 3BR in an area with good schools.

Athens is an old city that is generally clean and new except of course the ruins. We don't have a subway, great historical places, or friendly stray dogs. Yet somehow we found a familiar vibe in Athens when we visited a few months ago, so perhaps you'll feel the same way in Orlando?

Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 PM

492 posts, read 1,021,716 times
If you're renting, schools won't be an issue for a while... which also opens up other housing options that will be cheaper for you. Once you are settled, you can move in a few years into a better school zone, if necessary.

Does your wife speak English? Will she be working?

Do you have any other skills or interests?

Do you want to be close to the downtown area or in a more suburban setting?

If you both speak English and you can find a job, I don't think you'll have any problems here. People here are very accepting of other cultures (esp people in more urban areas of Orlando), and I'm pretty sure cost of living, taxes, and other issues will be better for you here than in Greece.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 AM

Thank you all for answers.
I will probably face discrimination on upper management positions. Even though I am more American than a lot of people there, my accent will be an issue. Paradox. I will have to try more to prove myself.
I think we will adjust better if we live closer to downtown. At least as you say for the first years. Then maybe buy a house.
I dont mind traffic so much because it cant be worst than Athens. So what areas should i look up? Any estimation about monthly bills?
My wife is speaking fairly good English. She is a make up artist and she also can do manis pedis. Probably it will be easier for her to find a job there than me.
I hold a BS in Business and 12 years now I am working in the automotive industry, sales. I know is going to be tough and I know US is not the "promised land" any more.
I have some savings though and may be start my own business there. I am an excellent cook and may be I should try opening a restaurant there and continue supporting the stereotype that Greeks do good in the food industry.

Thank you again

Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 AM

I don't think you'll immediately walk into an upper management position, and I think the discrimination will come in the lower level positions as opposed to once you've proved yourself.

You might want to look to Disney as a potential employer, they love diversity.

I would worry about finding a job before figuring out where to live.

Have you looked into immigration for your wife? She will not automatically have the right to work on a spouse visa.

I would not start a restaurant. In the US, 80% of them fail in their first two years. Learn that industry before investing your life savings in it.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 AM

Thank you Annerk!
Of course in order for my "project" to succeed firstly i have to find a job. I just need to prepare a budget that's why I am asking questions about rents, bills etc.
I am lucky because i have a place to stay in Port St Lucie for free till i find something and settle.
For my wife I know that it will take sometime till she gets a working permit. During that period she is planning to go to school and get the state cosmetology license needed

Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 AM

She can't even go to school without the required visa, although they are generally easy to get, especially if arriving on a spouse visa.

PSL is NOT commutable to the Orlando area.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 AM

I appreciate the help
I am planning to stay in PSL till I get a job!Go for interview, search potential neighborhoods instead of getting a hotel room I know I cant drive back and forward everyday!
Another question.
In order to add it to my annual budget. What is the cost of an average insurance coverage for a mid size vehicle? I hold a FL driving license-clean record.
Thanks again

Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM

492 posts, read 1,021,716 times
Insurance costs vary depending on the car you drive, how much you drive it, etc.

I have Geico and pay about 90 per month for myself and my partner. One clean driving record and one nearly clean (I think I have one ticket on there somewhere )

Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,163,380 times
Do a bit of research for areas, cities etc..that have less unemployment and more growth. You might not like those areas as a first choice but it would be easier to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando