Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 PM

44 posts, read 65,259 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in San Diego which I really like for the most part. There's a decent chance that my position will transfer to Orlando, FL early next year and I have the option to relocate.

It may sound like a dimunitive "issue" but I'm a an avid runner (40-50mi per week). Run at lunch or late afternoon daily and weekends at the coast. Probably average one race per month here as well (1/2 marathon or 10k).

I realize mid day runs in Orlando summer are out of the question but is it even feasible to really put in these kind of miles outdoors in Orlando with all the heat/humidity? How many months is it fairly uncomfortable at say 5pm?

Just a note: I can't run before work as I have dogs to walk in the am. They don't really run well but enjoy they're 1/2 hour outing every morning. Running after 7pm is not ideal either for me since then I pretty much wouldn't be spending any time with my wife after work.

Just like some feedback from some runners if there are any.

Thanks,
Barry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,315 times
Not a runner, but I'm a wheelchair athlete and I do about 70 miles a week on a racing wheelchair. (To be fair I'm also a snowbird so I avoid the highest of the heat and humidity in midsummer). I usually get up and go around 6 AM so it's not too bad at that time.

By around 5 PM it typically does start to cool down a bit from the daily peak so if you were going running right at 5 in the middle of the summer I would ballpark about 85 degrees and then add another 5-6 degrees to get the 'feels like' / 'heat index' temperature. It's going to be hot, especially at first until you've become accustomed to it, but I see people out running or biking at that time of evening and with being a runner you should be in shape to handle it much more easily than the average overweight American. The downside in the summer is that in the afternoon we get those pop-up thunderstorms so you may get rained out (or rather lightning-ed out) more often with late afternoon runs.

So I guess in summary - I don't get out and exercise at that time, going earlier works better for me, but I see plenty of others who do so I'm sure you could as well. Hard to beat San Diego weather for running of course, so anywhere you go from there may feel like a bit of a downgrade.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
Hi, I currently live in San Diego which I really like for the most part. There's a decent chance that my position will transfer to Orlando, FL early next year and I have the option to relocate.

It may sound like a dimunitive "issue" but I'm a an avid runner (40-50mi per week). Run at lunch or late afternoon daily and weekends at the coast. Probably average one race per month here as well (1/2 marathon or 10k).

I realize mid day runs in Orlando summer are out of the question but is it even feasible to really put in these kind of miles outdoors in Orlando with all the heat/humidity? How many months is it fairly uncomfortable at say 5pm?

Just a note: I can't run before work as I have dogs to walk in the am. They don't really run well but enjoy they're 1/2 hour outing every morning. Running after 7pm is not ideal either for me since then I pretty much wouldn't be spending any time with my wife after work.

Thanks,
Barry
Depends on what you consider "comfortable" but for the most part, it's comfortable for me. I prefer it vs 2 pm.
That being said some days it's either raining at 5 pm or still hot cause it has not rained yet. So try 7 Pm. but then again our thunderstorms can come at 7, or later (8,9,10) so it's hit and miss.

Basically you take your chances.

Anytime after 6 pm in the summer and fall, the sun starts to cool down! it still may be 90 outside, but you know the temperature is dropping. I see you said San Diego so my guess and overall answer is no, it wont be ideal, but you can manage!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:

Thanks,
Barry
If you want to continue running at your current pace, stay where you are. It is uncomfortably warm for 7-9 months a year, depending on the weather pattern. Also, Orlando does not get the ocean breezes as in San Diego. With that being said, you do see a few lunatics running at peak heat index times. I guess they're getting their fix in and hoping they don't end up like Jim Fixx.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
you do see a few lunatics running at peak heat index times. I guess they're getting their fix in and hoping they don't end up like Jim Fixx.
Sorry but I had to laugh at that...clever....no disrespect, Mr. Fixx.
And thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I had to laugh at that...clever....no disrespect, Mr. Fixx.
And thanks for the feedback.
Unless you really like the cold it's not uncomfortably warm in central Florida for 7-9 months of the year. Take anything leftee says with a grain of salt. He's the resident 'I have an MBA and lots of money and my kid goes to an expensive private school and I live in an exclusive golf community in Windermere and I hate this area and I've been telling you all how I'm moving away for years now but I'm still here' stick in the mud who does a lot of complaining but still hasn't worked up the energy to actually move and make his life happier.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
Unless you really like the cold it's not uncomfortably warm in central Florida for 7-9 months of the year. Take anything leftee says with a grain of salt. He's the resident 'I have an MBA and lots of money and my kid goes to an expensive private school and I live in an exclusive golf community in Windermere and I hate this area and I've been telling you all how I'm moving away for years now but I'm still here' stick in the mud who does a lot of complaining but still hasn't worked up the energy to actually move and make his life happier.
All of the above is true x/c for the grain of salt part ... thanks for bringing it up ... but I have worked up the energy to leave this cesspool. Three weeks and counting ... but you should really mind your own business.

IT IS uncomfortable warm 7-9 months of the year for some of us ... the cheerleaders think their opinion is the only one that counts. You're one of the resident cheerleaders who think Orlando is the end all and be all. Probably stuck here as you can't sell your house and are over-extended. Or you're one of the 21-year-olds on the board who have never been anywhere and thus have to defend Orlando from the attacks of the truthful.

It's still over 90 degrees at 5 PM in the heat of the summer here with a heat index well over 100. I suppose you're going to tell us next that Orlando gets ocean/gulf breezes from either coast.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Probably stuck here as you can't sell your house and are over-extended. Or you're one of the 21-year-olds on the board who have never been anywhere and thus have to defend Orlando from the attacks of the truthful.
Nope, 30 something year old snowbird who can do all my work through my computer. I live in Florida during the winters where I own a place I can comfortably afford and rent in Montana during the summers. Lived in the midwest and east cost before choosing to live in two places that make me happiest.

Glad to see you're finally moving after all these years, I hope your new place is everything you hope it to be and it can finally bring you some happiness.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 48,845 times
The dew point will be high around that time. So just slow your pace down by 1 to 2 minutes a mile until you get used to it. Lots of reading on how to run in the heat. Middle of May to the end of October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando