Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 37,492 times

Advertisements

I literally drove all over seminole & orange - not sure where I have been but seems to me Seminole has not advanced as much as orange county yet according to my internet search has a higher % of better schools. they tell me oviedo, casselberry, winter park are places to look at. but as I drove I found the newer communities surrounded by areas that needed work. In orange county I found the waterford chase villages to be centrally located to everything I need & since I have kids in elementary, middle & high school - found this area had good schools. I am still torn between both counties. can someone shed some light on Seminole county. Thanks for reading this long message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
I really like Seminole County as far as safety for kids and good schools......Altamonte Springs is probably the best area in Seminole county if you want to be around things to do.....i know that its not New York as far as the big city feel goes but Altamonte is a great suburb as far as most cities in the United States goes......Maitland is a nice area too and seems pretty safe and looks pretty as far as not having graffiti or trash everywhere on the streets.....Overall Seminole County is a better choice to move for a family but if you are single and have street smarts then i would pick Orange County.....Its not all terrible but its on a different level than Seminole in the safety department .......but there are places in Orange county that are not crime ridden but you really need alot of money for those communities.....as in every other city...good luck

Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,130,949 times
I always looked at the biggest difference between Seminole and Orange county (the nice parts of orange like waterford lakes area) was just that Seminole was at a little slower of a pace, and more spread out. I also see less "box homes" thrown up by the big builders in seminole.

I live right near the waterford chase area, and being that it is right in the middle of Avalon Park and Waterford Lakes, it really is a great location. Your a good distance away from any bad area's, the schools in the area are top notch, and you are minutes to both the Avalon Park town center and the Waterford Lake shoping center. There are a ton of Parks in the area for the family, and Timbercreek high is known for being a great High school with LOTS of parent participation. Plus Waterford chase has some great deals on homes right now...not to say there aren't in Seminole as well.

Personally, I'd choose Waterford chase. But then again I'm biased since I live in the area.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,472,831 times
Default Seminole

As far as the schools go, I'm afraid I'd have to pick Seminole County.....

My kids are grown so I don't really have to worry about schools myself.

Add Winter Springs to your list. My brother and his family live there and are very happy with the schools and the area in general.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 40,356 times
We live in Altamonte Springs in the Country Creek Subdivision. The city is great because of all the opportunities for children. We have friends that moved to neighboring Longwood and they don't have any of the benefits we have in Altamonte Springs, swiming lessons, summer programs, etc. Check out the city web site for more information. We love our neighborhood. Not too many people know about it but it is a great place to raise a family.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I really like Seminole County as far as safety for kids and good schools......Altamonte Springs is probably the best area in Seminole county if you want to be around things to do.....i know that its not New York as far as the big city feel goes but Altamonte is a great suburb as far as most cities in the United States goes......Maitland is a nice area too and seems pretty safe and looks pretty as far as not having graffiti or trash everywhere on the streets.....Overall Seminole County is a better choice to move for a family but if you are single and have street smarts then i would pick Orange County.....Its not all terrible but its on a different level than Seminole in the safety department .......but there are places in Orange county that are not crime ridden but you really need alot of money for those communities.....as in every other city...good luck
Thanks. Can you tell me where is Altamonte Springs/Winter Park/Maitland relative to Casselberry - prefer to be close to Casselberry due to job but not necessary.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
I always looked at the biggest difference between Seminole and Orange county (the nice parts of orange like waterford lakes area) was just that Seminole was at a little slower of a pace, and more spread out. I also see less "box homes" thrown up by the big builders in seminole.

I live right near the waterford chase area, and being that it is right in the middle of Avalon Park and Waterford Lakes, it really is a great location. Your a good distance away from any bad area's, the schools in the area are top notch, and you are minutes to both the Avalon Park town center and the Waterford Lake shoping center. There are a ton of Parks in the area for the family, and Timbercreek high is known for being a great High school with LOTS of parent participation. Plus Waterford chase has some great deals on homes right now...not to say there aren't in Seminole as well.

Personally, I'd choose Waterford chase. But then again I'm biased since I live in the area.
Thanks. I drove by Avalon and they have zero lots. Need min. 5/3.5 with good yard, but only want tops $450K. In waterford chase communities, I noticed some have no gates to community and some do - I prefer the ones with gates into the community. Also what attracted me was that it was close to shpg, schools, etc. the lot sizes are ok too approx. 9K sf . How is the mgmnt's and communties track record, what I mean is relative to the hoa fees, their reserve - guest what I am trying to say is how reputable is the mgnt companies that run these communites. Though since you lived there & promote it you would know. The only issue is commute to work in Casselberry, how bad can it be.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
As far as the schools go, I'm afraid I'd have to pick Seminole County.....

My kids are grown so I don't really have to worry about schools myself.

Add Winter Springs to your list. My brother and his family live there and are very happy with the schools and the area in general.
Thanks. any communities you would suggest that have big houses and lot up to $450K. and perhaps close to Casselberry, better yet do you know of any in Casselberry?

Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelite View Post
We live in Altamonte Springs in the Country Creek Subdivision. The city is great because of all the opportunities for children. We have friends that moved to neighboring Longwood and they don't have any of the benefits we have in Altamonte Springs, swiming lessons, summer programs, etc. Check out the city web site for more information. We love our neighborhood. Not too many people know about it but it is a great place to raise a family.
Thanks. Does this subdiv have big houses and lot, what's the zip code so I can look it up in realtor.com. Is this close to casselberry?

Old 09-30-2007, 01:47 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGal View Post
Thanks. Can you tell me where is Altamonte Springs/Winter Park/Maitland relative to Casselberry - prefer to be close to Casselberry due to job but not necessary.
Altamonte Springs is the bordering city to Cassleberry.......it isnt a long commute at all back and forth......Maitland borders the south of Altamonte Springs, and to get to Cassleberry from there would be one exit away on I-4 but there are some backroads to get to Cassleberry from there too, it is about a 10 minute drive.......Winter Park borders Cassleberry to the south and it would depend on what part of Winter Park you pick whether or not it would be over a 10 minute drive.....but all those areas are right next to each other and shouldnt be that bad to get to either one of those places......usually people that complain about the traffic congestion here are talking about the drive on I-4 because that is the only major freeway going north and south that exits to each part of town and everyone "the majority" of people in the Orlando area have to take it so it gets really congested because its only 3 lanes wide in most areas....kinda retarted road planning by the city.....i lived in Nashville and most highways there had 5 lanes so Orlando is a little behind in that aspect.....Congestion on the roads here isnt the main issue its more of a road rage and aggresive driving issue that makes Orlando bad for driving.......there has been inccedents where people have gotten shot at stop lights for honking at the person in front when the light turned green and the person behind honked at the front car ....and there was a couple other shootings this year in traffic but its not overwhelming but it does happen more than other places ive lived......ive lived in Miami, Nashville, California, Texas....Miami is the only other place ive seen with this amount of aggresive driving..........but if you choose one of those 3 suburbs next to Cassleberry you wont have to really drive on I-4 at all....there are lots of back ways in those areas and if you did take I-4 it would be only 1 exit from Cassleberry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando