Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,916 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Question. I have been told that neighbors do not leave any outdoor lighting on at night in the area that i will be living, so it will be very dark. Will the darkness draw in the bears, and other animals or will having outside lighting on draw them in? Just curious.

What do you think about these?
Amazon.com: Nite Guard Solar NG-001 Predator Control Light, Single Pack: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I would love to buy a few of those.. Just not sure about keep them mounted at eye level of the animals.. (All animals are at different levels..who knows how tall the bear that may walk up to our home may be...lol

Also, a neigbhor leaves her garage door cracked open and keeps cat food in there all the time. It recently attracted a different animal I was told. Do you t hink bears would like cat food as well? I've heard they will come for bird seed, so I'm concerned with this cat food.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 AM

511 posts, read 850,547 times
Another irresponsible cat owner eh? Yes ANY food will attract all range of animals, Florida is a wild area and as such has all range of wild animals I think you're over-reacting a fair bit IMO.. You're going to drive yourself crazy and your children too with all of this OTT concern and preparations as a determined animal will over come ANYTHING you use if they are really so inclined to do so.
Just do some Internet searching and educate yourself about how to reasonably stay safe without obsessing over it and use common sense and then pass that on to your children, beyond that much more and you're delving into OCD..

Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,233,496 times
Not far from Sanford

4 bears killed after Florida woman attacked | Lake Mary, Seminole Co.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:28 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,199,136 times
More on this story. Black bears are not just fuzzy, harmless pets out of some Disney movie, they are predators. There is a dangerous trend to underestimate them as threats, some viewing them as easily frightened away. This attitude could get you maimed or killed. The bear that attacked the woman was a 200 pound female, larger than the average Florida female bear. Males are nearly double the size of females, and more aggressive.
www.today.com/news/bear-attack-survivor-i-could-hear-teeth-going-through-my-2D79526243

Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 AM

26,882 posts, read 43,372,110 times
People aren't taking the necessary precautions which is why the event happened the other day. The resident attacked has their household trash in the garage and had the garage door up which is basically an invite for bears to come in and have a buffet. In other areas of the country where there is a significant bear population trash is taken outside to a receptacle area not next to the house and kept in containers that don't allow for them to pick up the odor or get into them. Blaming the animals and killing as many as they can find is barbaric, and typical of Florida unfortunately.

Bear Proof Garbage Cans Offered For The Standard Homeowner

Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 PM

596 posts, read 1,235,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cduser2012 View Post
Thanks Kyle. 912.. it's something I can afford at the moment so I don't have alot of options. I didn't think about the bears until I starting googling Bears in Sanford and found all the Youtube videos.

Is there something I can buy to carry with me to walk from the house to the car in the early mornings? any suggestions?

Thanks.
Bass Pro Shop sells Bear spray, as I would think other major sporting good stores would ! They say to make noise when walking in their habitat, by clapping your hands etc. so you don't startle them when it's too late, and could possibly attack, they usually run from noises, at least that's what they told us when we camped at Yellowstone National Park !

Old 04-16-2014, 01:39 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,272,941 times
Problem is these are not park bears and have been humanitized so they no longer are skittish and fearful. They do not run. They are predators and are acclimating to new prey.

People deliberately feed them. People leave trash and garage doors open. People leave food out for their cats. People buy homes by nature and wilderness areas and wonder why bears leave the woods to get food they find in housing areas.

Florida is a world of all sorts of animals. Snakes, bears, boar, gators, and my personal unfavorite frogs . We have to learn to live with nature and be thinking in what we do.

OP your best option is to use good sense and be aware of your surroundings. Keep your garage doors closed. Don't allow the children or dogs to splash in anything but a city pool. Look at where you step. look before you put your hands down to pick something up. Wear good shoes, gloves, jeans and take a stick when out working.

You really have more to fear from the two legged predators. Keep your garage door and doors locked.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM

9,501 posts, read 16,393,888 times
It's amazing as crowded as Florida is, that bears would even find a habitat to live in. That poor woman was really torn up by that bear.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,199,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
They say to make noise when walking in their habitat, by clapping your hands etc. so you don't startle them when it's too late, and could possibly attack, they usually run from noises, at least that's what they told us when we camped at Yellowstone National Park !
In YNP there is a very real danger of a confrontation with grizzlies, a much less likely one with a black bear. A Wyoming grizzly is a much different animal than is a Florida black bear. Double the size and far more aggressive, big males are almost fearless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando