Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 PM

12 posts, read 81,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I believe UPS, Home Depot, Walmart and Lowe's do being it's the type of felony. Landscaping and labor jobs for the most part do as well.

I understand, just b/c your fiance is a felon, it doesn't make him a bad person either.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Horribly judgmental people!

Has he thought of self-employment?

Many blue-collar, private companies might hire him - especially if he is well-qualified, has experience, and presents himself well.

Last edited by imcurious; 07-14-2012 at 12:04 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I have heard through the grapevine that the trucking company JB Hunt is a good place for ex cons to try as they are into giving people a second chance.You might look for a depot or wharehouse in your area and give em a call. doing a quick search comes up with some advice ..

Job Hunting for Ex-Offenders: How Felons Can Get Back into the Workforce - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 PM

12 posts, read 81,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have heard through the grapevine that the trucking company JB Hunt is a good place for ex cons to try as they are into giving people a second chance.You might look for a depot or wharehouse in your area and give em a call. doing a quick search comes up with some advice ..

Job Hunting for Ex-Offenders: How Felons Can Get Back into the Workforce - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

we've done online searches and made tons of calls as well. Any bit of advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
With a bit of creative thinking maybe you could start your own company..

Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
A difficult situation you find yourself in these days. There are so many college graduates without a job that it makes sense that employers would hire them rather than your boyfriend. You should just go back into your own business and adjust the work level to your ability to do the work.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 AM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
^ That's worded much better then previous posts, and it is sensible, OP you may not have much choice but to build up that business you had before just don't take on more then you can comfortably handle with time off on your terms to avoid burn out..

Old 07-14-2012, 06:43 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
I would never hire a known convicted felon. Here's why:

1). Legal liability - Because there're ambulance chasers, employers are taking too much risk when hiring a felon. For example if the felon has a violent past, he's hired and beats up an employee, that employee can sue the owner for negligence.

2). Behaviors don't change easily - You can call them the product of the system, but people thatre convicted felons are classified just for that reason. They commit acts that majority of good people won't commit. Most of the times felons have a long history of felonies/misdemeanors. This applies to hiring when an employee comes in and says I'm a great person just give me a chance. From experience that's a 1:15 to 1:20 ratio meaning for every 1 that'll be okay 15-20 will cause harm to your business usually for the same reasons of their felonies, drugs, assault, theft, take ur pick.

3). They deserve a second chance? - The same people proclaiming this, this is what I'd recommend. The next time you need something done around the house, hire a convicted felon, give that person that second chance at life because they paid their dues. Or next time you want somebody watching your kids, hire a convicted felon as long as they havent been convicted of crimes against children or are sexual offenders, what's the big deal?

4). Background screening - Most companies go through background checks and red mark any felons because it could cost them their jobs. If a manager hires a known thief and that person steals on the job, the manager could face termination for hiring that person to begin with.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
I would never hire a known convicted felon. Here's why:

1). Legal liability - Because there're ambulance chasers, employers are taking too much risk when hiring a felon. For example if the felon has a violent past, he's hired and beats up an employee, that employee can sue the owner for negligence.

2). Behaviors don't change easily - You can call them the product of the system, but people thatre convicted felons are classified just for that reason. They commit acts that majority of good people won't commit. Most of the times felons have a long history of felonies/misdemeanors. This applies to hiring when an employee comes in and says I'm a great person just give me a chance. From experience that's a 1:15 to 1:20 ratio meaning for every 1 that'll be okay 15-20 will cause harm to your business usually for the same reasons of their felonies, drugs, assault, theft, take ur pick.

3). They deserve a second chance? - The same people proclaiming this, this is what I'd recommend. The next time you need something done around the house, hire a convicted felon, give that person that second chance at life because they paid their dues. Or next time you want somebody watching your kids, hire a convicted felon as long as they havent been convicted of crimes against children or are sexual offenders, what's the big deal?

4). Background screening - Most companies go through background checks and red mark any felons because it could cost them their jobs. If a manager hires a known thief and that person steals on the job, the manager could face termination for hiring that person to begin with.

Thank you for reminding me why the "Welcome to Georgia" sign on I-95 was the greatest sight I have ever seen.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Thank you for reminding me why the "Welcome to Georgia" sign on I-95 was the greatest sight I have ever seen.
I thought common sense was universal? They don't have common sense in Georgia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando