Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 PM

49 posts, read 127,447 times

Advertisements

I know this is a common title here on Orlando City-data but I have a slightly different question. Everyone I talk to says Windermere is the best place for a family to live in Orlando but it is the most expensive. I have been looking at houses on realtor.com and what I find odd is that I can find better looking homes in the windermere area than I can in the winter park area. I know that just seeing a picture of a house doesn't tell me everything I need to know about that house (like what the houses next to it look like) but still wondering if Winter Park homes are generally more expensive and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
I'm slightly confused.. are you saying the homes you find in Winter Park are more expensive than comparable homes in Windermere?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,466 times
The best way I could describe the difference between Winter Park and Windermere is; Winter Park is "old money" and Windermere is "new money". Winter Park is also closer to downtown Orlando and has great schools. Winter Park High is a top rated school.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
The best way I could describe the difference between Winter Park and Windermere is; Winter Park is "old money" and Windermere is "new money". Winter Park is also closer to downtown Orlando and has great schools. Winter Park High is a top rated school.
Parts of Windermere are old too. Itwas established in 1889. If anything, Dr Phillips is "new" money

Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I'm slightly confused.. are you saying the homes you find in Winter Park are more expensive than comparable homes in Windermere?
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. We haven't traveled the areas just doing research online before we fly down and tour each area.

Since you say winter park is "old money" maybe that is why the windermere homes online look better to me. My husband and I are more attracted to new homes than older homes. Our current home was built in 1924 and the next home we buy we will buy something much newer.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 AM

One other question. Do you think a different area besides these two would be better for a family of 4. DH and I are both nurses. We are just looking for a suburb with low crimes, close to the local hospitals and good schools.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethandTim View Post
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. We haven't traveled the areas just doing research online before we fly down and tour each area.

Since you say winter park is "old money" maybe that is why the windermere homes online look better to me. My husband and I are more attracted to new homes than older homes. Our current home was built in 1924 and the next home we buy we will buy something much newer.
Windermere has expanded its area over the years. Lots of stuff farther away is lumped into it. There are some cheap houses off Winter-garden vineland Rd. I think winter park is constrained by its area more.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,163 times
Different ways to look at the two:

Winter Park proper is close to everything, has street-side cafe's and shops, has always been the place for 'old money', has a different character with the older Florida style construction dotted throughout the community, land is a premium as it's scarce meaning if any pops up its very expensive.

Windermere although it has a few established communities is still growing and has vacant land for more, is typically considered new money, has new construction look and feel, is zoned 'horizon west' by Orange County with urban living including bike/walking trails, alleyway's with rear load garages, city centers designed to bring residents together, no gated communities.

This is the on the surface difference.

Hope this helps,

Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
There could be many factors at work for the price difference; quality of the construction, location, schools, etc.

An older home within walking distance to Winter Park's walkable downtown is going to cost a lot more than a new construction home out on 535, for example.

Windermere can be broken down into two areas: "Old Windermere" and "New Windermere". Old Windermere is the more desirable and expensive side. If you were to search "Windermere" on Google Maps, this is the area it would take you to- right in the middle of the chain of lakes and the immediate area. This is a beautiful area, with a mix of older and custom homes. This area is zoned for Olympia High School, a very good school. New Windermere is located off of 535, and is characterized by new construction homes built side by side on land that was sufficiently bulldozed, leaving little to no trees. These homes are generally cheaper and are zoned for West Orange High School, which receives a lower grade than Olympia. I know you want a new home, but definitely look into the quality of construction before making a decision.

I don't have as much knowledge about Winter Park as I have never lived there, but it does have a very upscale and charming downtown that I enjoy visiting, although I feel it can be a little stuffy. WP is very close to downtown and has its fair share of traffic problems in the immediate area. Winter Park High School is regarded as being one of the best in the metro.

In any case, I would personally prefer a home in Old Windermere over Winter Park (even though WP is a gorgeous area). I enjoy the SW side of Orlando more, and like being close to the theme parks, Restaurant Row, Mall at Millenia, etc. OP, I'd recommend you take a drive around both areas and look at the homes in person. That way you can really get a feel for the neighborhoods and which area you think would suit your family best.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
People vary on what parts of Orlando they think are more attractive. My favorite area of Orlando is downtown and its immediate area (Thornton Park, Eola Heights, Delaney Park), but homes are very expensive for what you get. My second favorite area is easily Winter Park, where we chose to buy a house. Winter Park and Downtown Orlando are denser, more urban, and have more local flavor. It is really totally different driving around Windermere than Winter Park. There are safe areas and good schools to be found in both, but one will appeal more than the other depending on your personal taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando