Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Been meaning to tell you this mongo, its great to see you posting again. I missed posting with you on this forum. Good to see some more positive people on here

For what its worth, I chose not to go the roommate route for these reasons

-I have had roommates in the past and it did not work out, my food and laundry soap was stolen many multiple times, others were loud obnoxious drunks, others were insane
Again this comes down to finding the right roommate. You can't just grab the first moron that comes along. You need to find someone mature and responsible. Answering an add for a share that's "420 Friendly" in a five bedroom house full of college kids is probably not a good idea. Instead you should find a prospective roommate, agree on everything from how to split the costs (don't forget stuff like paper towels and salt and pepper), agree on your budget and make sure both of you can comfortably afford it, and have a frank discussion on things like overnight guests, parties, what the thermostat will be set at, if you'll be getting any pay channels on the cable, who covers the costs for various deposits, and what happens if one of the roommates needs to break the lease.

Quote:
-Of my circle of friends
--One is married and has a kid and him and his wife have a mortgage in Winter Garden
--One is both unemployed and has no car, lives at home and isn't really actively seeking work
--One is an employed but single mom, who has a place to stay
--Another wants to move out but refuses to pay more than $200 a month once he does
--The rest all live at home (both employed and unemployed) and have no desire to move out of their parents' homes (and unlike me they have normal functional families)

Perhaps I need new friends?
Again, friends don't make good roommates. Ask your (responsible, employed) friends if they know anyone who is looking for someone to share a place with. The guy in Winter Garden sounds like a great place to start. He works and probably knows people at work who might be looking for a new living situation. Or perhaps one of his neighbors has one of their young adult children still living at home who is in the same boat you are. I'd also suggest asking people you work with--particularly managers, pharmacy people, the ones who are settled and have a generally responsible network around them.

Quote:
Reasons I am moving out
--Mom is a hoarder (though she's slowly improving)
--No tv, nothing to do at home, I like being out and about
--Constant complaining and arguments among other family members
--Family members eat ALL my food I buy (spent $100 on food last Thursday, 5 days later its all gone and I'm left hungry )
--I sleep in the living room on a futon that my mom's dog treats as his personal toilet, I dont even have my own bedroom

Are those valid enough reasons to stretch my money to the limit if it means I can live in a safe, sane, normal, clean environment? Where nobody will steal my groceries, or my Tide laundry soap? Where I can have some peace and quiet after a stressful day at work? Where I can bring home a girl after a crazy alcohol fueled night downtown? You know I can bring her home and not wake anybody up (unless she's a screamer and it wakes the neighbors )
I can't blame you for wanting to move, but I do think you need to seriously think about finding a great roommate.

Quote:
I actually really like the roommate advice, it would really be a help to me especially if I can save money. But finding a halfway decent person male or female to room with is almost impossible

This is why I want to have my OWN apartment. Do you see why I want to jump the gun so badly now? I dont care if the devil is in the details....I want to be in a sane, sanitary environment again

PS If I can find a cool roommate around my age who is employed....then I will go the roommate route, I will take your guys' advice. Until then though, I'm like Iyaz, I
m "Solo"
I wouldn't worry about the "around my age" part as much as I'd look at someone you are compatible with and who is responsible. You might very well find that your ideal roommate is a divorced 45 year old female with no kids and a pet goldfish who works full time as a title clerk and is working on their college degree part time who wants a quiet, clean, responsible roommate with no pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
This thread does have something to do with Orlando. It has to do with Orlando in a sense that a young ambitious guy wants to know if he can make it on 2 part time jobs in this city and if the cost of living will allow it

I am looking at some restaurant jobs, earning tips will be a huge help, I'm headed to 3 restaurants to apply and interview tomorrow

Btw, I know people who did exactly what you suggest, starting at Valencia and then transferring to UCF, and lo and behold 4 years and a degree later, they owe $10s of thousands in student loans and are unemployed and living at home, while I have no degree, work for an excellent and stable company and am planning to get another job to afford my own apartment. One way or another I'm going to do this and I WILL succeed
Davie,

Start at community college. It's very inexpensive, you should be able p/t tuition without loans.

And don't ever think you can count on tips. I worked in a restaurant for a number of years and tips went up and down depending on the season and night of the week. Also, most restaurant jobs require you to work during the day to start when there aren't as many customers and tips are low. After you tip out the hostess, bartender, and busser, you could make as much in a shift as you would have working the same hours at Publix.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,278 times
Quote:
This thread does have something to do with Orlando. It has to do with Orlando in a sense that a young ambitious guy wants to know if he can make it on 2 part time jobs in this city and if the cost of living will allow it
I am looking at some restaurant jobs, earning tips will be a huge help, I'm headed to 3 restaurants to apply and interview tomorrow
Btw, I know people who did exactly what you suggest, starting at Valencia and then transferring to UCF, and lo and behold 4 years and a degree later, they owe $10s of thousands in student loans and are unemployed and living at home, while I have no degree, work for an excellent and stable company and am planning to get another job to afford my own apartment. One way or another I'm going to do this and I WILL succeed
What do they have a degree in? Bet you its not nursing or computer related. You have to be smart in college and not pursue a worthless degree.

Do you have any experience as a server? Don't look at the money first be realistic. If you have little experience, cross high volume restaurants off your list unless they're hiring graveyard or need you from 2p-4p everyday. Go into your interviews humble, don't touch your nose/ears/face or look around. Politeness is key.

Not saying it's not possible but with your current financials, unless you're eating a pbj everyday, its not happening.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Well folks it happened....I got a 2nd part time job today as a food runner at a restaurant on I-Drive Its going to be $8.25 an hour plus tips and I will be working weekends so this still gives me the ability to maintain my hours at Publix

Now I just need to start saving my money and I'll have an apartment before you know it

Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Quote:
Well folks it happened....I got a 2nd part time job today as a food runner at a restaurant on I-Drive Its going to be $8.25 an hour plus tips and I will be working weekends so this still gives me the ability to maintain my hours at Publix

Now I just need to start saving my money and I'll have an apartment before you know it
Congrats!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:43 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:

Don't go to school if you have to do it with a loan. Don't do something just because it's guaranteed income (especially if you are borrowing money to pay for it). You may end up being a bad nurse or computer programmer because you did it for the wrong reasons. I wish I took the loan advice when I started. Thankfully, I've been employed in my field and paid of my loans in 6 years by living on bare bones. Did the Dave Ramsey thing.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Hurrah! Best of luck with the new job!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Quote:

Davie doin' the dayum thing! Don't forget us when you start livin like a boss! Godspeed man!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
^^hahaha.

good job, davie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando