Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM

11 posts, read 59,535 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from the louisville area and are looking around the wekiva springs area.
I was wondering if anyone had any insights they could share on the Wekiva and Sabal Point elementary schools. Our daughter is gifted and going into second grade. Would love to get her into a magnet program but that could take years.
I already have a job and the commute is not a factor. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Big Woozle, Medium Woozle, Little Woozle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Both elementary schools are great schools but it's further down the line that you should be considering. Please take my advice with some caveats as I am not a parent, nor live in the district, but I went to school in this district. As far I know the biggest issue is that Sabal Point no longer feeds into Teague Middle and Lake Brantley High School whereas Wekiva still does. Teague and Lake Brantley are both considered very good schools, Teague has a great gifted program that I particpated in. Lake Brantley is very good school academically, athletically and arts. From last I heard, Sabal Pointe was redistricted to Rock Lake Middle (very good middle school) and Lyman High School (not bad, but not considered the same level as Lake Brantley). So I guess what I'm saying is that if I were a parent I would probably try to get into the Wekiva district to make sure my kids feed into the better secondary schools.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM

27,199 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
From last I heard, Sabal Pointe was redistricted to Rock Lake Middle (very good middle school) and Lyman High School (not bad, but not considered the same level as Lake Brantley).
Actually to set the record straight that's old news regarding Lyman High School. The administration has been hard at work improving standards over the past several years and this year US News ranked Lyman #35 in the state (#1 in Seminole County), just behind consistent high performing schools such as Ft Lauderdale Nova at #32 and Oviedo High at #33 and ahead of others like Winter Park High at #37 and Winter Springs High at #44. 63% of students enrolled at Lyman are involved in AP (Advanced Placement courses) and it has an Engineering magnet program. Lake Brantley while currently a good school, was not ranked. I know these ranking systems always create all kinds of conjecture, but given the other schools mentioned/ranked and their historical excellence it appears fairly accurate. The criteria used was a College Readiness Index, Math and Reading Proficiency and Student/Teacher Ratios.

Lyman High School in LONGWOOD, FL | Best High Schools | US News

Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Wekiva almost closed and still may so the districts could shift again.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 59,535 times
Thanks, for all the help.
I think we will be OK with either school.
My wife want to be less than 2 mile from whichever we select.
Thanks again,

Big Woozle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando