Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Watch out if you're traveling in South Orlando this weekend

Westbound lanes on Interstate 4 to be closed Sunday night for resurfacing - Orlando Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:54 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalbluez View Post
I am extremely afraid of traffic, may I ask for insights between Hunter's Creek to Celebration? Is that area also congested frequently as well?
If you use the 417 to get from Hunter's Creek to Celebration, there is virtually no traffic, but there will be some tolls. But you will have a 70 mph speed limit

I-4 gets congested from time to time whenever the parks are opening in the morning and closing for the night

But for the most part traffic in this area moves pretty smoothly and at the speed limit

Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 PM

112 posts, read 328,038 times
If the traffic on I-4 is really bad (at a standstill due to accident or construction) you can easily just get off at the next exit and then figure out an alternate route using a smartphone or use a toll road or something.

If you're really in a hurry you can just pay some tolls and use 429 or 417 to avoid the traffic prone areas of I-4 completely (disney, universal, downtown orlando, etc.).

Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerveza View Post
If the traffic on I-4 is really bad (at a standstill due to accident or construction) you can easily just get off at the next exit and then figure out an alternate route using a smartphone or use a toll road or something.

If you're really in a hurry you can just pay some tolls and use 429 or 417 to avoid the traffic prone areas of I-4 completely (disney, universal, downtown orlando, etc.).
People are too stupid and lack sense of direction or geographic location to do s. Plus they are lazy to help themselves.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
People are too stupid and lack sense of direction or geographic location to do s. Plus they are lazy to help themselves.
^^^^^
This!

I've gotten a pretty good idea of how to get around in Orlando. Having lived in every one of the 4 counties at one point or another, and having to constantly use Lynx to get everywhere up until 2009 really helped me learn the city

Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Even more so, many are too cheap to shell out a couple bucks in tolls and would rather spend a couple bucks in gas sitting in a traffic jam for three hours.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Even more so, many are too cheap to shell out a couple bucks in tolls and would rather spend a couple bucks in gas sitting in a traffic jam for three hours.
Others dont always have the cash on them

Old 08-26-2012, 12:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Others dont always have the cash on them
Sun Pass.

I always keep a few dollars in coins in my car, you never know where you'll need to feed a meter (or a toll basket.)

Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
This is true. At least on my side it's virtually like having free highways. I 4 is free of course. And so is a portion of the 528 heading west after the OIA tollbooth. I get on an be to international or Disney areas in 10 minutes or fewer. Plus we pay. 75 to get on turnpike and can be in Clermont area in 20 minutes or so. They built these tolls because they know what options people would have driving. If one chooses to live in Traffic they must deal with it. As you said, don't want to dish out any money. I have zero problems paying the toll. I know so many back ways in Orange County. I could see if your visiting an area but to be a resident and not know how to avoid traffic is baffling.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Sun Pass.

I always keep a few dollars in coins in my car, you never know where you'll need to feed a meter (or a toll basket.)
I have my old E-Pass from 2009-2010 when I lived here before. I haven't reactivated it because I simply dont use the toll roads like I used to. And I dont have the $25 to reactivate it and I don't see a point if I use it less than once a month.

Before, I used to use it several times a week. One trip on the 417 to see one friend on the east side. Another trip the next day on the Turnpike to visit another friend in Pine Hills. Though I've probably clocked more miles on the 417 than any other toll road in Orlando. I simply dont have the disposable cash like I used to. Now if I need to go to the east side of Orlando, I will take I-4 to the 408 instead which in tolls costs $2.25 one way instead of $4.50 taking the 417

And yeah as much as it sucks, because of my lack of funds, I spend a majority of my life the same way I spent it in Vegas, stuck in traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando