Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The track that closed, is that the Bithlo track you guys are talking about?

Down here in Far South Orlando street racing is just commonplace, comes with living in Hunter's Creek, Southchase or Meadow Woods, or any development adjacent to south OBT between Taft-Vineland and the Orange/Osceola Line. On OBT I hear it late at night all the time, people street racing up and down OBT from 2 till about 4 am

And over on John Young are the guys on Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha speed bikes racing up and down between CFL Pkwy and Hunter's Creek Blvd.

Both these races happen every night of the week here in the 32837
And then when they break their necks and end up vent dependent for the rest of their lives, it's the taxpayers who have to foot the bill. I say pull the plug. We euthanize dangerous animals and they are not humans if they want to endanger others like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:28 AM

511 posts, read 854,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
People want it but aren't willing to pay for it. As a taxpayer I don't care if it's there or not and am not willing to foot the bill for it. Pay for play. Unfortunately MORONS who street race refuse to pay, because they are entitled asses that think everything in life should be given to them for free.

You don't need to learn those skills if you slow down and drive responsibly.
Of course you do, what a silly thing to say, that's one of the skills it teaches as JUDGMENT which is critical to know as sometimes driving even SLOWER then a speed limit is required when necessary and car control since the road conditions are NEVER perfect and ALWAYS changing as is a persons vehicle. I personally would advocate that EVERY woman driver and most men be required to actually take driving courses such as this one BEFORE getting their license there'd be a lot less accidents and they are the ones (women) mostly driving with children in their big, clumsy SUV's and mini vans and have no clue what ever to do if it even begins to hydroplane on it's over sized tires for example..

A real hands on course like this instead of silly sit in driving school for infractions would have a legitimate and considerable impact on accident and insurance rates, should be MORE race tracks with more professional instructors.. Most of those entitled "morons" you speak about come from well to do families who definitely can afford to play, fast cars don't come cheap, most don't run beaters or bangers as they want to WIN!

^ I might add that you certainly have a harsh, rigid and ill informed perspective as how do you come to the mistaken assumption that race tracks are taxpayer owned or supported? They aren't, they're privately owned but overbearing regulations due to housing encroachment can render them useless which is often the case especially in the case of most smaller tracks.. Most tracks were there first and neighborhoods grew up around them like people who buy a house in the flight path of an existing airport and then have the temerity to complain about the noise .. That's a superior feeling of entitlement if there ever was one..

Last edited by HomesickFloridian; 08-26-2012 at 12:53 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Of course you do, what a silly thing to say, that's one of the skills it teaches as JUDGMENT which is critical to know as sometimes driving even SLOWER then a speed limit is required when necessary and car control since the road conditions are NEVER perfect and ALWAYS changing as is a persons vehicle. I personally would advocate that EVERY woman driver and most men be required to actually take driving courses such as this one BEFORE getting their license there'd be a lot less accidents and they are the ones (women) mostly driving with children in their big, clumsy SUV's and mini vans and have no clue what ever to do if it even begins to hydroplane on it's over sized tires for example..
Every WOMEN Driver? What type of crackpot POS are you? It's not the women causing these horrific accidents, it's MEN. If you want to legislate behind the wheel training before getting a license, I'm all for it. but to specify it's only applicable to females? That's pathetic.

As far as the racetrack (or airport) being there first, I agree with you. But the main reason these tracks close down is because it costs too much to operate them and those who use them would rather take it to the streets than pay to play.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The track that closed, is that the Bithlo track you guys are talking about?

Down here in Far South Orlando street racing is just commonplace, comes with living in Hunter's Creek, Southchase or Meadow Woods, or any development adjacent to south OBT between Taft-Vineland and the Orange/Osceola Line. On OBT I hear it late at night all the time, people street racing up and down OBT from 2 till about 4 am

And over on John Young are the guys on Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha speed bikes racing up and down between CFL Pkwy and Hunter's Creek Blvd.

Both these races happen every night of the week here in the 32837
Commission bans street racing at Central Florida Road Course

Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
People want it but aren't willing to pay for it. As a taxpayer I don't care if it's there or not and am not willing to foot the bill for it. Pay for play. Unfortunately MORONS who street race refuse to pay, because they are entitled asses that think everything in life should be given to them for free.

I agree, taxpayers should've have to foot the bill for those who want to play with their cars. Maybe some of you can equate it to community playground for kids, but these are supposed to be young adults. If they can afford to spend the money to put all these mods on their cars, then maybe tax them when they buy for high-performance parts, racing wheels, etc., so their fun can be funded on their own, but not at others' expense.

The point I was making is whether or not tracks exist for legal racing, they should not be participating in illegal street racing and putting other lives at risk. Some of these parents say it will get worse without a track for them to play on, which means they already give up on the fact that they, as a parent, should enforce it upon their kids and make them realize what they are doing. But instead, their attitude is, "they need a place to play", rather than take accountability for their parenting.

I know the problem exists not only here in Central Florida, but throughout the nation, and one of the arguments is that having the need for speed provides an inexplicable "rush", but you know what, so does cigarette smoking to some, and those folks get taxed more for their need to puff...

Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Even though I've got a roadster with $350 low profile tires and stupidly expensive rims, I'd gladly pay an extra 30% tax on them (if and when they need to be replaced--I drive the car less than 1000 miles a year) if it meant that some punks would be taxed out of owning cars they can't handle and shouldn't own.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Even though I've got a roadster with $350 low profile tires and stupidly expensive rims, I'd gladly pay an extra 30% tax on them (if and when they need to be replaced--I drive the car less than 1000 miles a year) if it meant that some punks would be taxed out of owning cars they can't handle and shouldn't own.
Despite that being ideal, you know there will always can be a black market created for performance parts if they do end up taxable (beyond the typical sales tax) one day, unfortunately

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Despite that being ideal, you know there will always can be a black market created for performance parts if they do end up taxable (beyond the typical sales tax) one day, unfortunately
True. The best defense is to throw the book at a few of them and raise the punishment levels. Once a few of them go to jail, be forced to clean the courthouse toilets among other items in a 1500 hours of community service condition of probation, and have to pay $5000 fines, it will make the others stop and think twice.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Every WOMEN Driver? What type of crackpot POS are you? It's not the women causing these horrific accidents, it's MEN. If you want to legislate behind the wheel training before getting a license, I'm all for it. but to specify it's only applicable to females? That's pathetic.

As far as the racetrack (or airport) being there first, I agree with you. But the main reason these tracks close down is because it costs too much to operate them and those who use them would rather take it to the streets than pay to play.
POS EH? You seem irritated and have displayed a serious chip on your shoulder, I've been suspended for less then that, I'm certain it falls under personal attack status..

I suggested it be specific to females did I? So what was this bit then?? "and most males" in my post?

I emphasized women due to the fact that though they don't get in as many accidents seemingly just like the old blue hair that goes shopping and runs several drivers off the road she has no clue about & continues on many incidents are created by overly cautious female drivers but more over they have less understanding of the dynamics of how a vehicle operates under certain conditions but with the most responsibility to know given the precious cargo they carry and how often they carry them and unrelated to THIS incident I am clearly talking about (though maybe it doesn't seem that to an emotional sort) driving in general not anything specifically related to street racing..

Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I agree, taxpayers should've have to foot the bill for those who want to play with their cars. Maybe some of you can equate it to community playground for kids, but these are supposed to be young adults. If they can afford to spend the money to put all these mods on their cars, then maybe tax them when they buy for high-performance parts, racing wheels, etc., so their fun can be funded on their own, but not at others' expense.

The point I was making is whether or not tracks exist for legal racing, they should not be participating in illegal street racing and putting other lives at risk. Some of these parents say it will get worse without a track for them to play on, which means they already give up on the fact that they, as a parent, should enforce it upon their kids and make them realize what they are doing. But instead, their attitude is, "they need a place to play", rather than take accountability for their parenting.

I know the problem exists not only here in Central Florida, but throughout the nation, and one of the arguments is that having the need for speed provides an inexplicable "rush", but you know what, so does cigarette smoking to some, and those folks get taxed more for their need to puff...
TAX??? FFS!! ON performance parts??? Not another one???? That's the silliest suggestion I've ever heard not to mention completely biased and probably unconstitutional....CHRIST!! Some won't be happy until we live in a complete nanny state!! I believe you'd prefer Russia or China much better then the U.S. so toddle off there will ya and allow the rest of us US citizens us to live our lives without constantly new, silly restrictive regulations will ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando