Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:45 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times

Advertisements

If you're not from around here (Orlando), you could end up walking around in a bad area without even knowing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:52 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
If you're not from around here (Orlando), you could end up walking around in a bad area without even knowing it.

That's what im saying.....you can ride down Colonial through Pine Hills and it doesnt "look" that bad but if you turn down the wrong street you better be packing a gun

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I don't know what you call the area on kirkman just north of Metrowest so i label it as metrowest..and that area is one of the areas that the police say is high crime area....still is high crime......maybe not so much metrowest itself but the area right around that is high crime.....
I agree that the surrounding areas of Metrowest is a high crime area and sadly it is those individuals that brings the crime in the Metrowest area. Nevertheless, the increased police presence has proven to be effective as crime in the Metrowest area has dropped significantly. So much that areas such as Dr. Phillips are now seeing an increase in crime and are planning on implementing a strategic task force just as the residence and business owners of Metrowest have done. Last I read on the news, the I-Drive areas are also looking into private security and increased police presence just as Metrowest did due to the success of the project.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:09 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Getting back to the original question and ignoring the usual malcontents......
Greg's answer was right on target. I for one would choose Winter Park. It's a charming area and more central to the great shopping and activities than Celebration.
For schools I would pick Lake Mary, Oviedo or Heathrow. Only because they are in Seminole County and Seminole County has a better school district.

Good Luck in your search.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
I agree that the surrounding areas of Metrowest is a high crime area and sadly it is those individuals that brings the crime in the Metrowest area. Nevertheless, the increased police presence has proven to be effective as crime in the Metrowest area has dropped significantly. So much that areas such as Dr. Phillips are now seeing an increase in crime and are planning on implementing a strategic task force just as the residence and business owners of Metrowest have done. Last I read on the news, the I-Drive areas are also looking into private security and increased police presence just as Metrowest did due to the success of the project.

That is true.....hopefully Doctor Phillips follows Metrowest in it's crime prevention plan because it works so far in the area of Metrowest....crime has dropped dramatically there.....it is tougher nowadays because the older people in bad areas are recruiting young teens to commit crimes because they wont serve as much time as criminals that are 18 and over ...look at the case with that off-duty retired OPD officer that was robbed and killed while getting money out of an ATM machine in early October/2007

Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Please get back on topic.. if you want to discuss crime create a new thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:17 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Default manrjen

There are so many nice areas in town. the two you mentioned are nice though very different. There is so much to be said of any area. much of your choice will come down to where you will be working. avoid the long commute as iit will help your budget with $3 gas prices, and who needs the stress of traffic? the next factor will be budget and schools. the areas vary greatly as to school quality and prices celebration starts at 320k and goes up to 5.5M, Winter Park -200k-8M, the East side 200k - 1..5M ( waterford,avalon park, stoneybrook, Eastwood. Winter Park - 200k-2M, and so on. There are places for most any budget and tastes here. Good luck annd welcome to the area when you make it

Old 12-08-2007, 11:47 AM

64 posts, read 202,332 times
There are a lot of people complaining about crime. I don't see much of it because I use common sense and don't go to the tourist areas much. If I do go, I stay alert.

I teach advanced placement environmental science & coach basketball at a local Seminole County Pulblic High School. In addition, my children have attended Seminole county Public Schools their entire lives from elementary to high school. We have been very happy.

If you are worried about the crime check out the gated communities. Heathrow, Alaqua, etc. There are home owner association fees, but you don't have to worry about crime in your neighborhood. In addition, Lake Mary just finished #4 in Money Magazines Best Places to Live.

If you have any questions about Seminole County Public Schools you are welcome to send me a private e-mail. It's great to chat with people interested in their children's future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando