Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you move to the greater Orlando area?
Moved down for a good job or transferred with work 8 32.00%
To be close to friends and/or family (negative: illness, divorce, etc) 0 0%
To be close to friends and/or family (positive) 4 16.00%
Simply wanted a change of scenery and weather and thought "what the heck!" 3 12.00%
I just love that Mouse sooo much! 2 8.00%
School or educational experience 2 8.00%
I liked the area, moved in, and have been happy ever since 6 24.00%
I liked the area, moved in, and could just shoot myself 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 PM

239 posts, read 799,539 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what events lead all of us to this city and this area in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
i am a fla native, i finished college elsewhere, and i wanted to move back to fla. i still like fla, i am just unhappy w/ orlando. we have family here in orlando, and we also have family close by. family is the most important thing to my wife and i... but would i move here to orlando again? absolutely not.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
My parents moved here with my younger sisters because my fathers NYC pension was being taxed twice (NY and CT-where we lived). So I followed with the "grass is greener" syndrome.

Plus I have other family members that live here.

I was able to land the best job I ever had here (and may ever have with only a high school diploma), buy my first house, and make some new friends. However since having children here, my outlook on life and priorities have changed drastically to where I am thinking of giving up my job and home to move back to Connecticut for a better overall quality of life for my family.

I wrestle with this daily and some days I feel like I want to stay and then most other days I feel like I just want to default on my mortgage and leave.

Last edited by markhunt; 10-09-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i am a fla native, i finished college elsewhere, and i wanted to move back to fla. i still like fla, i am just unhappy w/ orlando. we have family here in orlando, and we also have family close by. family is the most important thing to my wife and i... but would i move here to orlando again? absolutely not.
I agree. My 3 years in Tampa were pretty good, and I have friends in other parts of Florida that I enjoy visiting. My problem is NOT with Florida. I really like it here, but Orlando is just not a place I can live for very long.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Well i was kinda forced to be here, but i was from Miami and living in Tennessee at the time and missed Florida because i was raised here.......but my mother got a job down here and i didnt have a job that i could afford to stay by myself in Tennessee with so i had to come here with her..... i like Orlando because of the weather (except the lightning)....and i like the amount of things to do but its hard if you dont have money to do anything and the drivers here are the worst anywhere ive lived....and the attitudes in this town are terrible considering it isnt a megatropolis.....but now i am kinda stuck here because i have no degree and can only find employment at jobs that i cant save enough money to do anything in my future so i have to take the good of Orlando with the bad and there is bad that people dont want to admit on these forums

Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,176 times
I'd been many times with family and always liked the area. Plus...I wanted to be in a larger area than my hometown. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM

Anybody else want to weigh in?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 AM

39 posts, read 116,074 times
my husband transferred with a really great job and i just got a good job in my field too. so we're here.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:42 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I moved to Florida because I had to move and could not afford anything in NJ at the time. Since then, Orlando's cost of living has gone up significantly. If anything, the cost of housing to wages in Orlando is totally out of whack. At least the housing and wages in NJ were more in synch with each other. The big expense in NJ is the property taxes, which are much higher than the property taxes here in Florida. It all means nothing though, if you cannot find a decent job in Orlando.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 PM

39 posts, read 116,074 times
the housing prices are due for a correction really -- in orlando and all around. the real estate broker we are working with she says that things are out of whack but if you look around the prices are coming down and are not totally down yet, i mean look at all the houses that are still on the market, there are tons and tons.

still nothing like new york and new jersey though, holy crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: