Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,973,150 times

Advertisements

After living in Tallahassee for the past 15 years (Miami before that), my husband and I have pretty much decided to move to central FL in the latter part of 2013. We want to be nearer to kids and grandkids who live in various parts of the Orlando area. I'm mid-60's, DH is mid-80's and wheelchair-dependent.

We've narrowed the search to Maitland-Altamonte Springs-Casselberry-Winter Park. We'll be looking for a condominium (I never want to do yard work again ever ever ever) with a max price of $250K. I'd actually prefer to rent, but I'm not sure how wheelchair-accessible a rental would be. I'd like a relatively safe, relatively walkable area. Water view is not required.

I've been playing fantasy real estate online in those areas for a while, and I've looked at walkscore.com, and tried to make sense of the crime maps in Seminole and Orange counties. Those maps are not the most user friendly.

Can y'all please help me out by giving me an idea of which parts of Maitland-Altamonte Springs-Casselberry-Winter Park I should focus on and which parts I should avoid? (For example, if there's an area that is heavily populated by undergraduates, I'd like to know about it so I can look elsewhere.) And if you locals know of some condominiums that have been financial horror stories, I'd appreciate a warning in that direction.

We plan to drive down in a couple of months to explore neighborhoods. I'd appreciate any guidance you can give.

wsm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM

26,975 posts, read 43,502,112 times
Of your search area I would opt for Maitland, particularly the area along 17-92 between Horatio Avenue and Lake Avenue where there are a few condo communities to choose from. It's a very walkable area with shopping nearby and isn't horribly traffic congested like Altamonte Springs and parts of Winter Park. Downtown Winter Park is nice (and walkable) but it doesn't have everyday conveniences nearby such as a grocery store. Casselberry would be my second recommendation, in particular the area along Aloma Avenue east of Tuscawilla Road and west of the 417. There are some condos in the area that are convenient (walkable) to shopping though I think they might mostly be townhouse style which wouldn't help in the handicap accessible department.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,307,867 times
Each city you've mentioned is schedule to have a Sunrail station except Casselberry. Each station except Winter Park has plans for developments around the stations that will be walkable and accessible communities, Winter Park already has that. I"m not sure what he timeline will be on those developments but I imagine they should coincide with the start of Sunrail commuter service. I would recommend looking around the Sunrail stations as the planned projects around the stations should fit your criteria. Maitland is probably your best bet as they have already started developing a nice walkabe community around Lake Lilly/downtown Maitlland. With all the planned Sunrail projects nearby it should be a good fit for you.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 AM

3,259 posts, read 4,973,150 times
Thanks very much for your thoughtful responses. You've given me something I can work with.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,163,380 times
Find your doctor/medical facility that will be close(er) to your choice. With your husband's limitations you don't want to be spending a lot of time in traffic, especially I-4 etc....I like Maitland area and it is pretty quiet, cheaper than Winter Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando