U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 PM

206 posts, read 420,721 times
Default Beaches near Orlando

We are driving down from Knoxville, TN to go to Disney on Saturday Oct. 20.. we are leaving a day early wanting to stay on the beach for a day.. any beach suggestions that are close to Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 PM

266 posts, read 1,038,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie0929 View Post
We are driving down from Knoxville, TN to go to Disney on Saturday Oct. 20.. we are leaving a day early wanting to stay on the beach for a day.. any beach suggestions that are close to Orlando?
Disney is in Lake Buena Vista, FL. From there, the closest beach is Cocoa Beach. It is about a 1 hour drive east on the Bee Line Expressway from Disney.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:02 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,444,304 times
I think most people head out to Cocoa Beach .. its about an hour away from Kissimmee, right around where the Space Center is.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,260,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie0929 View Post

I know Cocoa Beach is closest by a few minutes but i think it's kinda dirty as far as the water and shells all over the sand goes.....compared to the west coast of Florida.....saying that..i would go to either coast if i was with friends ...BUT.....I really think you should go to Clearwater or Siesta Key ...those beaches are the top beaches in Florida and only an hour away from Orlando ...which really isnt that far of a drive here because you have Lakeland and Haines City to go through which makes it a faster drive because it isnt all open spaces with boring scenery....please check out the Tampa/St.Pete area and escpecially the Sarasota area beaches ..they are among the top 10 in the world almost every year....trust me you won't be disapointed...it's really worth the trip over there....The white soft sands ....and the clear water is awesome compared to the brownish sands in Cocoa and the water over there too.....trust me...no disrespect to Cocoa....I would go there too since its convienient and better than alot of U.S. beaches but there is better just an hour away from Orlando......

here are some pics from Siesta Key when i went last April....

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 AM

266 posts, read 1,038,616 times
I agree that the beaches on the west coast are 10 times better than those on the east, although I wouldn't say they are the top beaches in the state. However, the only way to get there in an hour from Disney is if you drive 100 miles an hour. From Lake Buena Vista, Clearwater Beach is about 95 miles. It will take at least an hour and a half or one hour and 45 min. if traffic in Tampa is good. Siesta Key is about 125 miles and will take at least 2 hours.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
I agree that the beaches on the west coast are 10 times better than those on the east, although I wouldn't say they are the top beaches in the state. However, the only way to get there in an hour from Disney is if you drive 100 miles an hour. From Lake Buena Vista, Clearwater Beach is about 95 miles. It will take at least an hour and a half or one hour and 45 min. if traffic in Tampa is good. Siesta Key is about 125 miles and will take at least 2 hours.

I drove over there about 7 or 8 times..and it took about an hour and 10-20 minutes to Clearwater going 75-80mph...its a 70mph speed limit most of the way but im not perfect and maybe you drive differntly...just saying how long it took me....but thanx for agreeing about how much better the west coast was to the east coast

Old 10-17-2007, 05:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,659,278 times
Great pics Thaspecial. I totally agree with the Golf beaches being the best. Although when we went to Ft. Meyers a few months ago I was disappointed but Clearwater is our favorite.

BTW - I tried to give you +1 but I guess I have to "spread some rep" before giving it to you again.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Great pics Thaspecial. I totally agree with the Golf beaches being the best. Although when we went to Ft. Meyers a few months ago I was disappointed but Clearwater is our favorite.

BTW - I tried to give you +1 but I guess I have to "spread some rep" before giving it to you again.

thanks for the comment and for trying to give some rep....ill see if i can do it for you now......by the way ....how long of a drive is it for you distance wise and time driving to Clearwater from where you live?

i just tryed giving rep to u also but i guess i gave some a short time ago or something

Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,659,278 times
Thanks Thaspecial.
I live in Kissimmee so it is about 90 minute drive and about an hour to Cocoa. That extra half an hour is so worth it!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM

490 posts, read 1,248,679 times
I would take the extra time and go to the west coast there is red tide on the east cost right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando