Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:18 PM

158 posts, read 371,788 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure those kids only use the internet to upload "gangsta" pics to their facebook page. But going back to what Davie said, I always thought Orlando would make a great setting for a GTA game. I wonder what fictitious name they would call the city. Maybe Touristan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Good thing you thought that, and didn't claim to know like your normal know-it-all routine, because after living in the Oak Ridge area for a long time now, that certainly isn't true. Shame how people think , though it is what it is.
I still think that of everywhere in the metro area, that's going to be ground zero for a turf war some day. Hope you aren't caught in a crossfire.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I still think that of everywhere in the metro area, that's going to be ground zero for a turf war some day. Hope you aren't caught in a crossfire.
You do realize half of these kids put up fake personalities to impress others right?
Not only that, but ground zero for a turf war is absurd. That requires years of hatred and beef between two or more opposing sides of culture, race, or some kind of authority which currently does not exist and has not. No war is in sight. Not in Oak Ridge anyway. Whether a personal shot or not, I'm cool with so many people over here and MANY/MAJORITY of the population over here wants to make their living, and live life the right way. Too many of these people have worked hard for their homes in Sky Lake and Oak Ridge, raised families, and continue to earn an honest living to let any of the non sense that does happen around them suck them in. Oak Ridge isn't a Parramore. People over here actually care. And Quite frankly OCSO does a great job tackling issues over here.

For the record Orlando doesn't have any well recognized groups for consistent crimes and violent such as cities as Denver, L.A., Oakland, Phoenix, etc.

If anything forum, the only thing I've noticed from living in Oak ridge area, is drugs. Of course guns are everywhere but rarely do you hear about someone actually shooting someone out of pure anger and hatred. It's usually a robbery, or altercation which results in someone losing complete control of their actions.

This can be said for any sane person in any neighborhood anywhere in the country that loses their cool.

And if there was a neighborhood center over here besides the YMCA which isn't as family friendly as your local community center (IMO) there would be children who had things to do rather than get in trouble. I see it everyday. These children now being off from school for a while have very little to do in the area. There is no park, courts, community centers for children to have some organization, guidance, and options besides finding activities to do (Which usually involve getting in trouble)

Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM

Maybe their PARENTS ought to take responsibility to keep them occupied and out of trouble.

I'm not saying that the problem is there right now, but rather that as more and more people come into the area from other places, the likelihood of them bringing gang activity along is increasing.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe their PARENTS ought to take responsibility to keep them occupied and out of trouble.

I'm not saying that the problem is there right now, but rather that as more and more people come into the area from other places, the likelihood of them bringing gang activity along is increasing.
In a neighborhood where the mother plays the role of both parents or works two jobs, this is why they have community centers. IDK if you've even taken the time to venture through less fortunate community but it's the same everywhere. You can put the blame on the parents sure, no doubt, but the option of having something to do besides neighborhood trouble should be available to citizens . IMO anyway. It only helps what some rents are not able to accomplish.

Not everybody has the stay at home mom, or one job parent that has time. Different situations, different neighborhoods do exists outside of your utopia.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
FloridaBorn, when you mention community centers, do you mean like YMCA's? Because even here in Dr. Phillips we don't have any sort of community center for kids unless you have a membership to a gym or it's a part of a subdivision. I don't recall any of my friends or myself hanging out at any community centers while growing up.. but getting in trouble was simply not an option. Don't Oak Ridge schools don't have some sort of aftercare program to help kids out?

My single, working mom lived in Oak Ridge for around 3 years when I was a kid. I lived with her every other week. I remember riding my bike around the neighborhood or walking my dog while roving "gangs" of 10 year olds would try and mess with me (once they actually kicked my dog). I was just raised with a totally different mindset, a different cultural experience than those other kids. I think that plays a part in it.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
In a neighborhood where the mother plays the role of both parents or works two jobs, this is why they have community centers. IDK if you've even taken the time to venture through less fortunate community but it's the same everywhere. You can put the blame on the parents sure, no doubt, but the option of having something to do besides neighborhood trouble should be available to citizens . IMO anyway. It only helps what some rents are not able to accomplish.

Not everybody has the stay at home mom, or one job parent that has time. Different situations, different neighborhoods do exists outside of your utopia.
I grew up in a household with two working parents. Difference being that back then they didn't whine about it, dad worked days while mom worked nights so someone was always home with the kids. They worked evenings, weekends, etc. because it wasn't "all about them" like it is with parents these days. They knew where we were, who our friends were, and what we were up to, and there were serious consequences for bad behavior.

I lived for a number of years in "the hood" because it's what I could afford while I was working two jobs and putting myself through school. The lady downstairs from me was a wonderful single mom. She was engaged with her kids and they were polite and well behaved. She didn't make excuses for them or herself.

If parents can't take care of their kids, they shouldn't have them to begin with. They shouldn't squat them out and then expect the rest of the world to take care of them--financially, emotionally, or physically. Posts like the one above are a compelling case for mandatory temporary sterilization for everyone until they can prove they have the ability to care for ALL of a child's needs.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugie View Post
I'm pretty sure those kids only use the internet to upload "gangsta" pics to their facebook page. But going back to what Davie said, I always thought Orlando would make a great setting for a GTA game. I wonder what fictitious name they would call the city. Maybe Touristan.
How about "Chopper City"
Read definition number 2
Urban Dictionary: choppa city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't have thought that either but with the recent Puerto Rican influx into the Goldenrod area it makes some sense. I would imagine new gang activity takes a bit to get a handle on and squelch in terms of figuring out the who/what/wheres of involvement.
I live in a majority Puerto Rican area and we do not have a gang issue here in the far south, and if there are gangs, they aren't really doing anything. The most cops have to worry about around here is busting a wild house party, or busting a street race. So to suggest Puerto Ricans are the sole cause of the gang issues on the east side is narrow minded among other things

Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
East Orlando is really the only gang related activity I've ever heard of anything in Orange County.

Gotta remember Oak Ridge technically isn't Orlando while some of Pine Hills is in Orlando. Neither is South Apopka. So when you say town in this sense, I assume you mean Orlando. City Limits do not include Oak Ridge and some of Pine Hills, which makes Orlando, (the city) seem a lot dangerous than it really is considering the whole area is a bunched together. Orlando feels consolidated with Orange County at times.
Perhaps the County Gov't should be abolished and have each town/city annex its respective zip codes

I'm well aware that Oak Ridge and Americana are not part of Orlando proper, but it still holds ground because they do have Orlando zip codes of 32809 and 32839, both of which Orlando city limits are a part of, even if it's small

Old 12-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Perhaps the County Gov't should be abolished and have each town/city annex its respective zip codes

I'm well aware that Oak Ridge and Americana are not part of Orlando proper, but it still holds ground because they do have Orlando zip codes of 32809 and 32839, both of which Orlando city limits are a part of, even if it's small
Which Parts of 32839 and 32809 are city? I know Edgewood for 32839 and Belle Isle for 32809 but thats it. Unless Southport is 32809 which I think it's 32824 then I'm not sure.

But the city limits are crazy anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando