Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 4,776 times

Advertisements

So I I'll be moving to the orlando area and I want to make these questions fast and simple as possible. So here are my questions.
What would be a good place to live that is within 30 or 20 minutes from the city that won't totally kill my pay check? I will soon be a veterinary assisstant so I must know.

What would be better for me at first? Getting an apartment or living with friends I have in orlando until I find a place?

What would your best suggestion be for coffee shops? I ask because I'm a huge coffee shop person.

What is the best place to take your dog to the dog park?

Anyone have any favorite farmer's markets? one that sells fish as well as other things even though I'm sure every single one down there does.

Any suggestions on cool places to visit that aren't just themeparks?

Restarant recommendations? Im not interested in fancy places but anywhere that's good to have friends.

Bar recommendations?

Best places to go shopping? Such as best mall or cool stores I should check out? I'm not much of a shopper but if I ever get that feeling to get something new I'm open to check out new places.

Lastly what is life like for n average 23 year old out there. I am 23 so I must ask!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Oh forgot to ask how the culture is, and how the people are? What is the best place to make new friends too? Excuse me for asking I'm just excited and I talk quite a bit. If you see typos too blame my tablet, it doesn't type very well.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,507,724 times
I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. I'm 22, so I can give you a rundown of the area from another young person's perspective Remember that Orlando is very spread out, so your daily life is going to revolve a lot around what is closest to you for the most part. Do you have any idea of where you'll be working?

For living arrangements, you'll most likely need to find a roommate. Most young people in the area live with them unless they have a very high paying job. It's also an immediate support system in a new city; that is, if you have a good relationship with them. If your friends are looking for roommates that's probably the best place to start.

I love coffee but there's nothing around me really except for Starbucks, but there are definitely coffee shops around. Stardust Video and Coffee is in Audubon Park (near downtown) and is kind of a enclave for hipster/crunchy types. It also has a small but awesome farmer's market on Monday nights. I don't recall any meats (like fish) being sold, though. You might try the big Lake Eola Farmer's Market on Saturdays right in the heart of downtown. I haven't been yet.

I've only been to two dog parks.. one was the West Orange Dog Park in Winter Garden and the other was at the Dr. P Phillips Park in Dr. Phillips (close to Disney). You can do a search on Yelp to find the best rated ones. There's supposed to be a great one in Winter Park. It really depends on where you live and how far you'll want to travel.

What kind of stores do you like? What are you interested in buying/what's your style? I have my favorites but they could be totally different than yours. My favorite mall is The Mall at Millenia. As for restaurants, my favorite places for casual meals with friends include Dandelion Community Cafe (downtown; vegan), Yellow Dog Eats (Gotha; BBQ/sandwiches), Press 101 (Dr. Phillips; sandwiches) and Bento Cafe (Dr. Phillips; Asian Fusion). I'm not really a bar/club person, so I just go wherever my friends drag me. I liked Ibar which is downtown, but I've only been there once. As for cool places to visit: one of my favorite things to do is swim in the natural springs in the area. The water is crystal clear (and freezing) and the scenery is beautiful. Rock Springs in Apopka is my favorite, although Wekiva Springs is good too. I love walking down Park Avenue in Winter Park, or going to the various museums around downtown Orlando.

I've met all of my friends through work or school. It has been my experience that although people are friendly here, most people tend to stick with people they know through some sort of mutual interest or their profession. But your experience could be totally different.

If you want some ideas on what to do here or get a feel of the area, check out The Daily City and Orlando Weekly.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klownykritter618 View Post
So I I'll be moving to the orlando area and I want to make these questions fast and simple as possible. So here are my questions.
What would be a good place to live that is within 30 or 20 minutes from the city that won't totally kill my pay check? I will soon be a veterinary assisstant so I must know.

What would be better for me at first? Getting an apartment or living with friends I have in orlando until I find a place?

What would your best suggestion be for coffee shops? I ask because I'm a huge coffee shop person.

What is the best place to take your dog to the dog park?

Anyone have any favorite farmer's markets? one that sells fish as well as other things even though I'm sure every single one down there does.

Any suggestions on cool places to visit that aren't just themeparks?

Restarant recommendations? Im not interested in fancy places but anywhere that's good to have friends.

Bar recommendations?

Best places to go shopping? Such as best mall or cool stores I should check out? I'm not much of a shopper but if I ever get that feeling to get something new I'm open to check out new places.

Lastly what is life like for n average 23 year old out there. I am 23 so I must ask!!!
Wow, go read the other threads....

Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Looking To Move to the Orlando Area? Want Info? Read This First!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,853,744 times
2 other dogs parks are in Baldwin Park and on Colonial around Dean(?)

Barnies is another coffee shop. like the chain types.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM

ok i thought this would be asier to answer questions this way

Where you'll be working. We don't need to know the company, but give us a general idea, ie. downtown Orlando, Lake Mary, Disney, Lake Nona, etc.

1. unsure as to exact location i have friends spread all over the place, but i will most likely be working for a vet's office since i will be a veterinary assistant

If you need to be on a bus line. (If you do and work shifts that aren't typical office hours, you need to tell us that, too.)

2. probably wont need a bus but maybe if i really reall badly need to ride a bus

If you have kids and what grades they will be in if schools are important.

3. no kids! lol

If you'll be looking to rent or buy, and what your monthly rent budget is or the price range to buy. Also how many bedrooms and baths you want.

4. Making arrangements to live with friends so i'll have A bedroom and probably a bathroom that will be shared

If you have pets.

I will be adopting a dog when i move

If you have specific "wants" like want to be near bar/club scene, want a suburban setting, want to be near an off-leash dog park, etc.

i dont HAVE to be right on top of these neat things but as long as these things are at least a 20 minute ride away i'm happy. i'll most likely be in a decent neighborhood where i wont die lol.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM

[quote=brinkofsunshine;27687319
What kind of stores do you like? What are you interested in buying/what's your style? I have my favorites but they could be totally different than yours. My favorite mall is The Mall at Millenia. As for restaurants, my favorite places for casual meals with friends include Dandelion Community Cafe (downtown; vegan), Yellow Dog Eats (Gotha; BBQ/sandwiches), Press 101 (Dr. Phillips; sandwiches) and Bento Cafe (Dr. Phillips; Asian Fusion). I'm not really a bar/club person, so I just go wherever my friends drag me. I liked Ibar which is downtown, but I've only been there once. As for cool places to visit: one of my favorite things to do is swim in the natural springs in the area. The water is crystal clear (and freezing) and the scenery is beautiful. Rock Springs in Apopka is my favorite, although Wekiva Springs is good too. I love walking down Park Avenue in Winter Park, or going to the various museums around downtown Orlando.
[/quote]

My style ranges, and when I say ranges I mean RANGES! I like hippy clothes, i like gothic/street style clothes, cute girly clothes and a style that's out of the ordinary, i like having clothes for all occasions, i'm such an open book. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando