Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugie View Post
Ahh...thanks for clearing that up for me.
My family lived in the Rio Pinar area off Lake Underhill and Chickasaw in the 1990s before moving to Metrowest. My father's job was off Narcoosee at the time, and I remember Goldenrod cutting off at Narcoossee at the time.

When we returned to Orlando in late 2005, Goldenrod ran all the way to 528 with an at the time toll of 50 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 AM

329 posts, read 700,245 times
You think we've got it had here in Florida? It sure beats having neglected, beat up roads such as I-95 and I-4.

If we didn't have toll roads in Orlando, traffic here would be a nightmare. I commute from Celebration to the FDOT office on Semoran and take the 417 eastside to the 408 to go west to the exit. If I had to take I-4 during my morning and evening commute, I would easily have an hour drive to downtown and an hour drive back home, versus the 30 minutes taking the 417.

Not to mention also that our toll roads are in my opinion very well kept and very up to date. The lighting along them is especially impressive along with the newer pavement most of ours have, beats taking the interstate any day in my opinion.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
It's a scam and a fraud whichever way you slice it.
Yeah, paying by use is such a scam! It's better just to have people who will never use the roads subsidize them with federal taxes!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
You think we've got it had here in Florida? It sure beats having neglected, beat up roads such as I-95 and I-4.
I-95 isn't that bad. The only stretch I've seen that's rough is the area of construction in northern brevard.

Quote:
If we didn't have toll roads in Orlando, traffic here would be a nightmare. I commute from Celebration to the FDOT office on Semoran and take the 417 eastside to the 408 to go west to the exit. If I had to take I-4 during my morning and evening commute, I would easily have an hour drive to downtown and an hour drive back home, versus the 30 minutes taking the 417.
It's true. Orlando grew so fast as a city that these toll roads came about as a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yeah, paying by use is such a scam! It's better just to have people who will never use the roads subsidize them with federal taxes!
We all subsidize roads with our gas taxes. The problem is that gas taxes have been flat for decades

Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I-4 is not that bad, especially between Sand Lake and Conroy where it was all just repaved. It's a nice ride actually

Between OBT and Lee Road is a different story, that's about the only part of I-4 I would say is 'beat up' the pavement seems like its original from when I-4 was built in the 1960s. And that stretch of I-4 reminds me of freeways in LA with its old look

Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I-4 is not that bad, especially between Sand Lake and Conroy where it was all just repaved. It's a nice ride actually

Between OBT and Lee Road is a different story, that's about the only part of I-4 I would say is 'beat up' the pavement seems like its original from when I-4 was built in the 1960s. And that stretch of I-4 reminds me of freeways in LA with its old look
I agree with that observation, I wouldn't say I-4 and I-95 are THAT beat up as they also get regularly updated but I would much rather avoid the tourist traffic that is caused by idiots who think they know how to drive here. Living in Celebration definitely has it's downs, I-4 is sometimes unusable in the morning due to the accidents caused by overly aggressive drivers from the East Coast...

Oh and also I think Orlando's growth pattern would be dramatically different if we didn't have toll roads such as the loop and the East-West.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I agree with that observation, I wouldn't say I-4 and I-95 are THAT beat up as they also get regularly updated but I would much rather avoid the tourist traffic that is caused by idiots who think they know how to drive here. Living in Celebration definitely has it's downs, I-4 is sometimes unusable in the morning due to the accidents caused by overly aggressive drivers from the East Coast...

Oh and also I think Orlando's growth pattern would be dramatically different if we didn't have toll roads such as the loop and the East-West.
I went to Celebration High School my junior year in high school, we lived off 192 and Old Lake Wilson Road, I HATED all the tourist drivers in that area, the traffic on 192 going west from Disney is absolutely unbearable sometimes

I live in Hunter's Creek now and work in Dr. Phillips and I see tourists on I-4, as well as Sand Lake Road and their driving habits are atrocious, along with all these cab drivers who drive so recklessly

If I had my way, I would move back to the east side of town where there isn't a tourist around for 10 miles at least

Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I went to Celebration High School my junior year in high school, we lived off 192 and Old Lake Wilson Road, I HATED all the tourist drivers in that area, the traffic on 192 going west from Disney is absolutely unbearable sometimes

I live in Hunter's Creek now and work in Dr. Phillips and I see tourists on I-4, as well as Sand Lake Road and their driving habits are atrocious, along with all these cab drivers who drive so recklessly

If I had my way, I would move back to the east side of town where there isn't a tourist around for 10 miles at least
Yup I'm looking to move near Narcoossee Road perhaps, the commute is taking it's toll on my budget for sure.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
I like the Toll Roads, I use the toll -roads and I won't stop using the toll roads.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 AM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Which is apparently the portion (or part) that is going to be torn up soon for an improvement project. I cannot imagine what that's going to do in terms of traffic congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando