Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM

172 posts, read 438,334 times

Advertisements

We are planning a trip to Orlando in March. We would like to take the kids (15 and 9) to the beach since they don't get to see the ocean often (we live close to Chicago). Which beach would you suggest? We know we will have to drive a few hours at least. We would like to spend a few hours at the beach, maybe go to a restaurant for lunch, and then spend a few more hours at the beach. We would prefer the Gulf. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM

22 posts, read 61,169 times
My favourite is Clearwater There is parking right next to the beach and lots of restaurants. It takes around an hour and a half (assuming you are going from the Disney area).

Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinsessa View Post
We are planning a trip to Orlando in March. We would like to take the kids (15 and 9) to the beach since they don't get to see the ocean often (we live close to Chicago). Which beach would you suggest? We know we will have to drive a few hours at least. We would like to spend a few hours at the beach, maybe go to a restaurant for lunch, and then spend a few more hours at the beach. We would prefer the Gulf. Thanks
Drive a few hours? Not to get to any beach no, Max 1 hour 32 minutes Clearwater Beach Which In My opinion is the best beach in Central Florida. On the Gulf coast, then you have the Atlantic Beaches . But Watch out for Sharks and other Ocean creatures. New Syrmna is SHark Bite Capital of the world. '

Ormand Beach
Canaveral By The Sea
Clearwater Beach
Anna Maria Island
St. Pete Beach
Treasure Island
Cocoa Beach just to name a few.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinsessa View Post
Cocoa Beach is fine. It's really the closest beach to Orlando. Clearwater and Gulf beaches will be a much further drive (1.5 hours at least)

Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
St. Pete/Clearwater... my favorite beaches, by far. I'm not really a fan Cocoa.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
The Gulf beaches are better than the Atlantic beaches in this part of the state. The sand is like white powder versus granular silica that burns your feet, the water is calmer and more clear, and the beach towns overall are nicer. Clearwater Beach is probably the best bet and easiest to get to. It's essentially a straight shot west on I-4/I-275 and then SR60 across Tampa Bay to where it dead ends at Clearwater Beach.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Gulf beaches are better than the Atlantic beaches in this part of the state. The sand is like white powder versus granular silica that burns your feet, the water is calmer and more clear, and the beach towns overall are nicer. Clearwater Beach is probably the best bet and easiest to get to. It's essentially a straight shot west on I-4/I-275 and then SR60 across Tampa Bay to where it dead ends at Clearwater Beach.
you've obviously never been to Ponce Inlet (south of Daytona Beach). The gulf beaches are nice and siesta key probably take the cake.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Depending on where you are staying, you can get to New Smyrna Beach in an hour give or take. You can have lunch right on the beach at Breakers Restaurant. It's reasonable in cost for the location. They were voted to have the best burgers.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I would second Clearwater. If you're willing to drive about another hour, Venice beach near Sarasota is also great but for what you desire, Clearwater would fit the bill.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Looking at this question from the kids point of view. What do they want to do at the beach? Bet the 15 year old has heard of Ron Jons up in Illinois and would rather go there than the Gulf beaches, My nephews bring teenage church groups down to work here in Florida helping repair and clean up properties of elderly people or after floods and storms . No matter which side of the state they come down to help they always make a beeline to Ron Johns and cocoa Beach because that is where the teens want to go.

My kids liked the Gulf beaches when they were pre-school-1st or 2nd grade, but once they started liking the waves boogy boarding and surfing took them to the East Coast beaches instead.

If the kids want to play in the water like in a pool, then the gulf is usually calmer, but if they want to body surf, jump waves, boogy board, watch surfers, etc than really take them to an ocean instead of Gulf of Mexico.

And for the posters stating there are sea creatures like sharks in the Atlantic....they are in the Gulf waters too. Personally, we love finding sea creatures when we are on the beach.....well except for sharks when my sons iare surfing or when we are in the water. <VBG> But give them space and a little time to swim off and its a go.

To the OP what month are you coming to Florida? Water is chilly till about end of March beginning of April....right now it is about 69-70 degrees on the east coast so it is comfortable walking in it and it seems to feel warm after a while. Son has not pulled out the long sleeve wet suit yet this year, but is using the 1/2 wet suit that has short sleeves..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando