Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,543,156 times

Advertisements

As of late, I guess I've been so bored I decided to go on a nostalgic road trip. I've been looking at videos on Youtube from the old days of the entertainment industry when acts like Backstreet Boys, Britney, Nsync, Aguilera, and others were at their prime. And of course children's television shows like Kenan and Kel and All That were huge. I noticed and remembered how alot (or most) of the biggest acts and companies that changed the face of the entertainment industry came out of Orlando and/or were based here. It boggles my mind when I look at Orlando today and think about how it was once the LA of the south before ATL and New Orleans. We had music studios, television studios, film studios, dance studios churning out stars and successful tv shows one after the other. Most of the major pop acts of the late 90s and early 2000s resided here. Now, there's nothing. What happened? Orlando seems to have basically been stripped and raped of any of it's former Hollywood glory.

Last edited by allenk893; 01-28-2013 at 01:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,030,116 times
Nickelodeon Studios moved its production and closed down here. Lou Pearlman was convicted for running a massive ponzi scheme, sued by nearly every musician he founded, and TransCon closed down. Pearlman is also in prison until 2029.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
You don't know what you're talking about--at least as far as music goes. Five bands/artists from the greater Orlando area have been signed to major labels within the past three years. None of them are bubble gum pop like Perlman was producing. In other words our entertainment scene has matured. The crap Perlman and Universal/Disney were pumping out had very short life-cycles. The entertainment we are producing now will lave a longer life-cycle.

Don't forget about EA and the copious amounts of entertainment product they are delivering.

By the way, "changed the face of the entertainment industry" is laughable. All of the artists you mention were simply clones of artists that came before them. The Osmonds, Jackson 5 (and Michael solo), New Edition, NKOTB, Janet Jackson, Debbie Gibson, THEY were the ground breakers. The rest were nothing but cheap imitations.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM

388 posts, read 787,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You don't know what you're talking about--at least as far as music goes. Five bands/artists from the greater Orlando area have been signed to major labels within the past three years. None of them are bubble gum pop like Perlman was producing. In other words our entertainment scene has matured. The crap Perlman and Universal/Disney were pumping out had very short life-cycles. The entertainment we are producing now will lave a longer life-cycle.

Don't forget about EA and the copious amounts of entertainment product they are delivering.

By the way, "changed the face of the entertainment industry" is laughable. All of the artists you mention were simply clones of artists that came before them. The Osmonds, Jackson 5 (and Michael solo), New Edition, NKOTB, Janet Jackson, Debbie Gibson, THEY were the ground breakers. The rest were nothing but cheap imitations.
Who was signed to majors from here? I should get out more often, as I've only been to will's pub and the social a couple times.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Who was signed to majors from here? I should get out more often, as I've only been to will's pub and the social a couple times.
Anberlin (Lakeland but were A&R'ed in Orlando)

Blonds

The Supervillains

Alter Bridge

Between the Trees

Indorphine

There's also another one just signed but I can't give the details yet, as I was given the info in confidence and the band hasn't made it public yet.

Matchbox Twenty/Rob Thomas

Trivium

Sleeping with Sirens

No Address

Creed

There are three others I can think of off the top of my head but I can't remember their names. One was indie-pop signed a couple of years ago, one is a blues rock signed about four years ago, and one is jazz, signed within the last 18 months or so.

Also members of the following bands did/do call Orlando home:

Shinedown
Alter Bridge
Creed
Trivium
No Address
Hall & Oates
Puddle of Mudd
Evanescence
Black Label Society
Static-X
Dark New Day
10 Years
Pat Travers
and many others...

Additionally multi-plantinum producer Michael Baskette lives and works in Orlando.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,030,116 times
Um I don't know which is stranger, that you just named a crapload of bands I've never even heard of, that you called the music the OP asked about crap but named what you just did, or that most of the well known bands you did name aren't from here??

Creed isn't from Orlando
Puddle of Mudd isn't from Orlando
Static-X isn't from Orlando
Evanescence isn't from Orlando

The only other band even remotely known on your list is Matchbox 20 which formed in 1996. N*SYNC came out in 1996.

I'm confused?? What am I missing here.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,480,881 times
Universal was one of the major spots for television and film production in the 90's; what I've heard is that it became increasingly expensive and a hassle to fly talent and production crews to Orlando rather than just film everything in LA. I don't the city at the time (or now, even) was large enough to support what was promised to be "Hollywood East". However, Universal does have some major productions being filmed right now, so who knows what the future has in store.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM

388 posts, read 787,019 times
I'd sooner mention Paramore and We the Kings if we're talking about the rest of FL, since they're a lot more current and have made a bigger impact, than some of the other local bands you mentioned. Copeland was also from Orlando/Lakeland as well, but broke up a couple years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Anberlin (Lakeland but were A&R'ed in Orlando)

Blonds

The Supervillains

Alter Bridge

Between the Trees

Indorphine

There's also another one just signed but I can't give the details yet, as I was given the info in confidence and the band hasn't made it public yet.

Matchbox Twenty/Rob Thomas

Trivium

Sleeping with Sirens

No Address

Creed

There are three others I can think of off the top of my head but I can't remember their names. One was indie-pop signed a couple of years ago, one is a blues rock signed about four years ago, and one is jazz, signed within the last 18 months or so.

Also members of the following bands did/do call Orlando home:

Shinedown
Alter Bridge
Creed
Trivium
No Address
Hall & Oates
Puddle of Mudd
Evanescence
Black Label Society
Static-X
Dark New Day
10 Years
Pat Travers
and many others...

Additionally multi-plantinum producer Michael Baskette lives and works in Orlando.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Um I don't know which is stranger, that you just named a crapload of bands I've never even heard of, that you called the music the OP asked about crap but named what you just did, or that most of the well known bands you did name aren't from here??

Creed isn't from Orlando
Puddle of Mudd isn't from Orlando
Static-X isn't from Orlando
Evanescence isn't from Orlando

The only other band even remotely known on your list is Matchbox 20 which formed in 1996. N*SYNC came out in 1996.

I'm confused?? What am I missing here.
Maybe you missed members of the following bands did/do call Orlando home. I didn't say the band was from here, but rather a member or members are. You really need to get out more if you haven't heard of most of those bands.

Although Creed wasn't formed here, two of the members were originally from Orlando and both owned homes in the area (one still does) during their height.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
I'd sooner mention Paramore and We the Kings if we're talking about the rest of FL, since they're a lot more current and have made a bigger impact, than some of the other local bands you mentioned. Copeland was also from Orlando/Lakeland as well, but broke up a couple years ago.
Paramore was one of the bands I was trying to think of, and there's another whose name is on the tip of my tongue but I just can't remember it who were in the same genre who got signed about three years ago.

I consider We the Kings more of a Tampa band. I'm not familiar with Copeland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando