Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM

430 posts, read 1,390,654 times

Advertisements

Good idea for positive change, -persuasion with ideas for solutions while welcoming feedback! -I think people can make a difference, -but usually only a small one for each person in the larger scheme of things. but, those small efforts DO add up! -Plus, for those who one is close to, and SOMETIMES in the local community at large, -one person can make a world of difference! -That can of coarse be for better OR worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojow View Post
People can say that it's happening everywhere, but when they say that, it can sound like they are saying "Accept it and move on". But people who are voicing complaints probably (I felt this way) feel that it's not too late to nip things in the bud. Things here are beginning, and instead of letting things run the course, nip it while it's small?

I went through a period where I made complaints and brought up issues to people, and without realizing it, my motivation was that if enough people saw what I saw, and got angry enough, maybe people would pull together, start working together to make changes, become organized. One person alone has no power. But 80% of the people in a given area, if they organize, can impact things. Supposedly.

I'm not sure what I thought. Maybe enough people writing senators, or maybe if people rallied, lobbied.... I think cities have meetings where the public can go and make their voice heard? I don't know.

But now I see that can't happen. People are too busy just trying to make a dollar. Or they don't know what to do, or think that nothing can be done.

Or, they are, as the one poster said, living in a great house, kids going to a great school, etc, so why should they care what's happening in other sections.

Anyway, I think I know how you feel and I can completely relate (3 months ago.... bag of body parts found up in BVL.... 17 yr old found stabbed to death in his car also in BVL.... St Cloud, 20 yr old found dead in pond close to sheriff's office)...

But I'm asking you what you want to happen after you make people "see"?

If it really is your goal to dissuade people from moving here, you have to specify to people that if they are coming here with low earning potential, then here's what it's like in your opinion, simply put. But you can't dissuade every one from moving here because other people who have skills that are in demand in the job market and that'll get them a better paying job, will be able to live in an area that won't be as affected. My sister has a great life here. The has money to drive expensive vehicles, take vacations and go parasailing, etc.

But if your goal is to get people to open their eyes and see what the conditions are for other people like yourself, and maybe from there, enough people can make a difference.... then you might be on the wrong forum and will have a tough battle.

People might be able to offer better responses if you simply say what the problem is, and then maybe bring up a possible solution and ask for feedback on it. It's easier for people to listen to a problem, when it comes bundled with an idea for a solution.

If you just want them to "see" so that you don't feel invisible..... ahhh. I can relate. Good luck.

Noodles.... really? "waaaaaaahhh!"??

Is that a crucial beam in the structure of support of your stance?
-Emil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 PM

6 posts, read 22,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I know some people are really oblivious on here so i'll post some proof about why it's not safe ....and you positive people can post about why things are safe...show proof why things are so safe for "everybody" in the area though..

Body Found In Parked SUV - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/14386487/detail.html - broken link)

Boy Misses School Bus, Helps Nab Burglar Inside Central Fla. Home - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/14383955/detail.html - broken link)

Officer Arrested On Grand Theft Charges - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/14362770/detail.html - broken link)

Police ID Men Found Dead In Kissimmee Car - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/13881004/detail.html - broken link)

These are facts.....not negativity

that is normal here in miami

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,067,479 times
Crime is in every big city not just in Orlando or Kissimmee.
Tampa has a lot of crime too.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,190,297 times
umm... yup. that is true. every big city has crime. but to what extent? orlando has more crime than many cities that are bigger. and for sure, kissimmee has a lot of crime for it's size. tampa has been a crime ridden city for yrs.

but you can compare a town like orlando to a place like charlotte, and orlando has more crime.

you can compare kissimmee to a place like asheville, and kissimmee has much more crime. tampa has as much crime as orlando or atlanta on a per capita basis.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:15 PM

21 posts, read 100,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post

These are facts.....not negativity
Obviously if you take the time to find these "facts" you are trying to be negative. IMO i don't care how safe Kissimmee is because because i don't live there, I have been there on vacation and it seemed fine!

The "fact" where the young boy was hit, it was just an accident. Basically, most crime occurs if you or your family are criminals, if you are a crack dealer, you are more likely to get shot because of drugs than someone who isn't, etc. Do you get where i'm coming from?

Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 28,718 times
Yes, Florida does have high crime. It's a fact. Because of the mild climate, Florida is a nesting place for all kinds of people from all walks of life, all backgrounds, and all income brackets. I feel like living here is a trade-off in a way. I could live in a more secure, but less desireable area. But I choose to stay here, be more aware of the dangers, and be more educated about what I can do to protect myself and my family. There are a lot of ways to deter or prevent crime, and awareness is key. The numbers are scary, and should motivate all of us to make our homes, and our families safer from the crime that is out there.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,259,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAguy View Post
Obviously if you take the time to find these "facts" you are trying to be negative. IMO i don't care how safe Kissimmee is because because i don't live there, I have been there on vacation and it seemed fine!

The "fact" where the young boy was hit, it was just an accident. Basically, most crime occurs if you or your family are criminals, if you are a crack dealer, you are more likely to get shot because of drugs than someone who isn't, etc. Do you get where i'm coming from?

So robberies and home invasions and assualts are only a problem if you become a drug dealer or user?....LOL....That is not reality.....do you truly believe what you said or are you trying to change my opinion on facts?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:23 AM

Im not trying to change your opinion but I live in England and most crimes occur due to drugs - where i live in Widnes (I'm moving to Florida next year) there is quite a lot of crime - shootings, assaults and rapes but most of these are revenge of drug dealers because Widnes is drug-ridden and I know burlaries, thefts etc. happen to innocent people, but ive read most Kissimmee crimes are drug related - so if you are a drug taker/dealer - you are more likely to get caught up in it!

Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Florida is very touristy as well - and ask anyone, Florida and California have higher crime than say, Iowa and Minnesota because of tourists! Tourists cause most of the crime - I am sorry to say though that Britons (like me) cause most problems - but because i'm from the UK doesn't mean ive caused any problems!

Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 AM

242 posts, read 611,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAguy View Post

A case about a year ago, the store manager abducted from the parking lot late at night... Was probably a crack dealer on the side.... A negative one at that.... Looking for facts, or hoping one would find her?

Thaspecial, remember that one weird case? The guy was breaking into peoples' homes when they were sleeping and messing with their feet? I can't remember if he was only stalking old ladies or if that mattered. Lol. So he must have considered himself The Crack Dealer Foot Fondler, and he stalked only the negative crack dealers who were trying to find facts.

So basically if the house next door is broken into, I don't have to worry about it. Heck, that just means they were crack dealers, and since I'm not one, I'm alright.

Also since I don't want to be considered "negative", I'll just turn away and not notice or someone will think I was "looking for a fact".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando