Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times

Advertisements

Seattle may have one of the best weather in the USA in July and August. It is a beautiful city as well. I live in FL, but if I was competing in track or soccer, I would much rather be running outdoors in Seattle than Orlando in July and August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Larger cities like Salt Lake City, Utah?
I wasn't aware they held the Summer Olympics in Salt Lake City Utah.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Orlando's climate will work against it. The humidity there is soo high, can you imagine how awful the heat would be for those athletes if they ran it any time during the summer months? Same goes for Houston and Dallas, I think San Fransisco and Seattle have the best chances.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM

129 posts, read 448,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
There are only a handful of cities in the United States capable of undertaking the Olympics with the public support for it, with the money to construct all the structures, and the mass transit and hotel rooms to sustain the visitors and athletes. I would suggest New York City as choice number 1, but they have no extra land to construct such massive buildings on. Cities with the best chance are:

Chicago
Philadelphia
Boston
Seattle
San Fransisco
Miami
Houston
Dallas

Those cities are also ranked in order of most likely to least likely.

There were 35 cities in the United States that entered their bid for the Olympic Games, these cities range from New York City, to Rochester New York, to Memphis Tennessee, to Indianapolis Indiana, to Detroit Michigan, to Orlando Florida.

Sorry Orlando, but you're one of the smaller cities on there that doesn't stand a chance against the larger cities.
Yeah, and they said the same thing about Atlanta in 96'. We have more hotel rooms than any city you listed above.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInGreenville View Post
Yeah, and they said the same thing about Atlanta in 96'. We have more hotel rooms than any city you listed above.
That may be, but they don't have the transit system of cities like Chicago, St. Louis, San Fransisco, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. It's not just about having the hotel rooms, this isn't just for the sake of Disney Land or a Superbowl.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
There are only a handful of cities in the United States capable of undertaking the Olympics with the public support for it, with the money to construct all the structures, and the mass transit and hotel rooms to sustain the visitors and athletes. I would suggest New York City as choice number 1, but they have no extra land to construct such massive buildings on.
NYC doesn't have to construct any massive new buildings as there are plenty of venues within the immediate NYC metro area and available space for any new construction needed in Brooklyn and Long Island City/Queens.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Larger cities like Salt Lake City, Utah?
Salt Lake City hosted the Winter Olympics which is significantly smaller than the Summer Olympics. Around 85 countries compete in 15 different sports at the Winter Olympics, versus over 200 in 28 different sports at the Summer Olympics. The types of venues make a huge difference with easily half of the competition space held on mountain slopes in the Winter Games while the Summer Games require multiple stadiums, arenas and aquatic centers.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,040 times
Obviously the USOC thinks Orlando is a good fit because THEY reached out to the city to ask if Orlando is interested in bidding. If Orlando did not meet the basic criteria or have any chance, they would not have wasted their time.

According to the USOC, the basic criteria include having at least "45,000 hotel rooms, an international airport, public transportation and a workforce of up to 200,000."

The IOC has stated numerous times that other factors, such as international appeal and recognition, a positive reputation around the world, and a willingness to build the needed infrastructure are other extremely important criteria. Orlando does not fall short on these, and (as I previously said) actually does better than many other cities, including Chicago and Philly.

I agree that the heat may work against us.

Considering Orlando just purchased a huge chunk of land in Parramore yesterday (for a new soccer stadium, no doubt), much of what we'd need would already be planned or under construction anyway (the new SSS, SunRail, Citrus Bowl improvements, Creative Village, additional trains in the works, several new hotels downtown, a large apartment building in the works that will go near the Creative Village site and could be used to house athletes, etc.).

I absolutely think Orlando could be a contender. However, this is an international competition, and I don't have high hopes that Orlando could win. Honestly, I don't have high hopes that any US city will win this one.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,040 times
Here is the full list of cities that received letters. Rumor has it that Tulsa, Baltimore, and LA (again) are frontrunners. No idea how accurate that is, though.

1 Phoenix Arizona
2 Los Angeles California
3 Sacramento California
4 San Diego California
5 San Francisco California
6 San Jose California
7 Denver Colorado
8 Washington D.C.
9 Jacksonville Florida
10 Miami Florida
11 Orlando Florida
12 Atlanta Georgia
13 Chicago Illinois
14 Indianapolis Indiana
15 Baltimore Maryland
16 Boston Massachusetts
17 Detroit Michigan
18 Minneapolis Minnesota
19 St. Louis Missouri
20 Las Vegas Nevada
21 New York New York
22 Rochester New York
23 Charlotte North Carolina
24 Columbus Ohio
25 Tulsa Oklahoma
26 Portland Oregon
27 Philadelphia Pennsylvania
28 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
29 Memphis Tennessee
30 Nashville & Davidson County Tennessee
31 Austin Texas
32 Dallas Texas
33 Houston Texas
34 San Antonio Texas
35 Seattle Washington

Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
Obviously the USOC thinks Orlando is a good fit because THEY reached out to the city to ask if Orlando is interested in bidding. If Orlando did not meet the basic criteria or have any chance, they would not have wasted their time.

According to the USOC, the basic criteria include having at least "45,000 hotel rooms, an international airport, public transportation and a workforce of up to 200,000."

The IOC has stated numerous times that other factors, such as international appeal and recognition, a positive reputation around the world, and a willingness to build the needed infrastructure are other extremely important criteria. Orlando does not fall short on these, and (as I previously said) actually does better than many other cities, including Chicago and Philly.

I agree that the heat may work against us.

Considering Orlando just purchased a huge chunk of land in Parramore yesterday (for a new soccer stadium, no doubt), much of what we'd need would already be planned or under construction anyway (the new SSS, SunRail, Citrus Bowl improvements, Creative Village, additional trains in the works, several new hotels downtown, a large apartment building in the works that will go near the Creative Village site and could be used to house athletes, etc.).

I absolutely think Orlando could be a contender. However, this is an international competition, and I don't have high hopes that Orlando could win. Honestly, I don't have high hopes that any US city will win this one.
That's exactly what I'm saying, for all this talk of Orlando has no chance or we don't belong.....the USOC invited us to submit a bid, we were the ones reluctant to do so. Again it all goes back to money, last time Chicago made a bid, A BID, for 2020 they spent over $100 million just to make the bid. What disgusted me more was when people cheered when Chicago lost the bid to Brazil because the Obama's backed their hometown bid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando