Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM

160 posts, read 553,363 times

Advertisements

I am currently a part time Disney Store employee and live in Miami. I am planning on moving to Orlando by June 1st. I have decided to start officially applying at Disney Careers.com by March 15th. My concern is that all I ever see listed on that site are Manager positions. Does Disney not believe in promoting from within? My ideal job would be with Disney Cruise Lines in an area outside of reservations. I currently work full time for a cruise line in Miami and have over 10 years of experience. I have done everything from reservations to human resources. My question is how hard is it to get a job with Disney that is not in the parks or as a manager. I thought Disney was big on promoting from within so why are they always looking for managers.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times
I wish I could be more of help, but I would suggest looking on Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more and searching the position you want. Many of the interview posts explain how they came across that position and the process they went through.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM

THanks

Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 PM

135 posts, read 437,953 times
Do you have access to the Hub?? Do you know what that is? If you work for the company you should have access to the Hub and then go explore the jobs listed on there! That way it would be an internal transfer instead of from the outside. I saw reservation jobs listed I think last week on indeed.com. You could try there also. The other thing is to google hourly jobs at Walt Disney cus the website you have been going on is for mostly Managers and the reservation jobs are listed under hourly jobs. Hope this help somewhat. No longer work there as of a month ago but hubby still works there!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
Do you have access to the Hub?? Do you know what that is? If you work for the company you should have access to the Hub and then go explore the jobs listed on there! That way it would be an internal transfer instead of from the outside. I saw reservation jobs listed I think last week on indeed.com. You could try there also. The other thing is to google hourly jobs at Walt Disney cus the website you have been going on is for mostly Managers and the reservation jobs are listed under hourly jobs. Hope this help somewhat. No longer work there as of a month ago but hubby still works there!
would the hourly jobs also be listed in the "hub"?
Thanks

Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
Unless something has changed, you can't apply for one division of the company while working for another--there used to be a 30 day wait, I'm not sure if there still is. The only exception is the most senior management. The killer is taht you lose your seniority after six months.

You should be able to view hourly job openings on the Disney Careers site.

As TDS cast you don't have access to the Hub.

Disney does do some promoting from within, but it's a long, slow process. There are very, very few openings for administrative type jobs--and many of those are still hourly roles. Those are posted on the Careers site when they come up, but like I said, that is very, very seldom. Disney posts jobs publicly even when they have an internal candidate, they don't always simply "promote" but rather you have to climb the ladder by applying and interviewing for other jobs. It's not like in the stores where they'll ID a CM for a lead position, a lead for an ASM position, an ASM for a SM role, or a SM for a DM job. They'll do that with the hourly roles in the parks, but no in administrative type jobs.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unless something has changed, you can't apply for one division of the company while working for another--there used to be a 30 day wait, I'm not sure if there still is. The only exception is the most senior management. The killer is taht you lose your seniority after six months.

You should be able to view hourly job openings on the Disney Careers site.

As TDS cast you don't have access to the Hub.

Disney does do some promoting from within, but it's a long, slow process. There are very, very few openings for administrative type jobs--and many of those are still hourly roles. Those are posted on the Careers site when they come up, but like I said, that is very, very seldom. Disney posts jobs publicly even when they have an internal candidate, they don't always simply "promote" but rather you have to climb the ladder by applying and interviewing for other jobs. It's not like in the stores where they'll ID a CM for a lead position, a lead for an ASM position, an ASM for a SM role, or a SM for a DM job. They'll do that with the hourly roles in the parks, but no in administrative type jobs.

So getting an administrative type of job with Disney is going to be a challenge?

Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
So getting an administrative type of job with Disney is going to be a challenge?
Yes. They have hundreds of applications for each open position, and those positions don't open very often. Both of the people I know who have been hired for administrative positions over the past couple of years had stellar resumes. One has a masters in statistics and is fluent English, German, and Spanish--she works in retail procurement. The other has a BA in marketing and is working on a masters, she had five years experience and is fluent in English and Japanese, she got in as a marketing assistant.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM

To add--I had five years experience with the company and 20 years of marketing experience and was not able to even get an interview for the 30+ Disney administrative jobs I applied for. I was over qualified for some and a few were stretches, but there were a dozen or so where I was an exact fit, and all I heard was crickets.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM

my bubble has been burst. i want to work at disney but i cannot afford to be working for minimum wage at an attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando