Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM

511 posts, read 854,799 times

Advertisements

Sorry but the reality is we definitely need more construction unless you're willing to compensate all of those poor souls who have construction trade jobs or similar related jobs like Home depot, Lowes, tool rentals, cement, lumber, appliances, you are clueless how many professions rely on construction in order for them to feed their families. Which BTW will also add to the foreclosed housing glut as they also succumb to the lack of income..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Sorry but the reality is we definitely need more construction unless you're willing to compensate all of those poor souls who have construction trade jobs or similar related jobs like Home depot, Lowes, tool rentals, cement, lumber, appliances, you are clueless how many professions rely on construction in order for them to feed their families. Which BTW will also add to the foreclosed housing glut as they also succumb to the lack of income..
I agree, however there's a balance between building willy-nilly wherever there's some open land and restricting completely. Seminole County needs to adopt some kind of comprehensive zoning plan that allows for responsible growth. However in terms of the number of people here reliant on construction jobs bear in mind many moved in from out of state during the housing boom 10 years ago and are still here. The number of trades people living here is disproportionate to the amount of work and like many in similar positions in other job sectors across the country need to relocate to where the opportunity is, because it's more than likely not going back to where it was before.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 AM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, however there's a balance between building willy-nilly wherever there's some open land and restricting completely.
Well THAT point has never been in contention at least not as far as I'm concerned but there's been a host of blanket statements and generalizations without qualifying them about seemingly NOT having construction across board and not just limiting or relating those comments to specific areas..

The rest I don't see as much of a change, Florida has ALWAYS had a strong transient based construction industry due to the obvious change in weather and work availability, most of those workers though, coming from the north, go back when the weather changes because the pay is better then here, so I don't see that having changed much. Those people for the most part are still transient or would be as soon as the work went away, they're kind of like carnies in that sense.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I see construction all over downtown, the Hospitals, along 17-92, by the future Sunrail stations, etc and I think it's a great thing. Nobody wants to see our area grow stagnant, but we want smart growth with comprehensive zoning and planning. This development was not smart growth. You want to see what unrestrained, unplanned growth looks like? Take a ride around East Lee County and Lehigh Acres and let me know if that's what you want for Central Florida. I'd rather see us develop like Altamonte Springs/Lake Brantley/Wekiva/Sweetwater area. Nice commercial core by the mall, commercial developments along major thoroughfares, large single family home neighborhoods behind the commercial, greenspaces, trails and parks, multifamily complexes sprinkled throughout and than areas like Bear Lake and Sand Lake with single family homes on mid-large acreage. Something for everyone but still preserving greenspace. Sweetwater and Wekiva start backing into the the Wekiva River Basin but they've done a decent job of keeping the denser development away from that area. Just using it as an example, it's not perfect but it's what I would consider balanced growth. Not to mention there are still large undeveloped tracks along 436 and Sand Lake Road. I'd much rather see new home developments go up in that area than in a rural area in Oviedo. And there are places like that all over Central FL that we can develop or redevelop without eating up our greenspaces. Most of the city of Orlando appears to be favor denser development. There's plenty of land in Lake Nona for new homes. There are parts of east Orlando along Lake Underhill road that are more suitable for development. List goes on and on. My point is we have options to keep developing in already developed areas and leave the untouched areas or rural areas alone. I think it's nice that on my drive to beaches there are wild stretches of untouched nature, I'd hate to be driving the same route 10 years from now and all I see is cookie cutter homes. No thanks.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:34 AM

57 posts, read 113,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I understand the economic impact and I agree to a certain point, but there's no reason our new construction and smart growth can't be synonymous. I am not against development in our area, we need the work, we need the jobs. But when as someone else stated we already have homes sitting empty and free or redevelopable space within already developed areas, there's no need to go developing pristine land or land intended for other uses. A group of townhomes built in downtown south is just as good for us as these homes would have been as far as economic impact. On top of that, people work hard to be able to live in these rural designated areas and pay a hefty premium. I can understand that they don't all of the sudden want to wake up to cookie cutter sprawl across the street.
I agree. I'm from seminole county, and I'm real happy about this. step in the right direction. And this coming from someone who's family business depends on new construction. smart growth. Old Florida is getting paved over, quick.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM

200 posts, read 538,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Where were these same commissioners who have approved the mowing down of half of the remaining greenspace along SR46-A (east of I-4) over the past 12 months, including many old growth trees....??? It's not as if suddenly they've all become environmentalists though I suppose their latest well-documented accomplishment will help show otherwise. I'm guessing that developer somehow wasn't as well connected as others obviously are.
Is that the Versailles community? 63 lots for sale there.
Residents line up to snag new Sanford home lots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando