Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times

Advertisements

The seminole county burbs are better planned. As a teenager in altamonte with no car I could still get to school, the grocery store, park, best buy and the mall fairly easily. At that time thats all that I needed. For parents it was also very convenient as they didnt always need to pick me up and take me places but more importantly, it gave them another reason to justify not buying me a car yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 01:53 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Being a teen on the far south side of Orlando is different. There's really nothing within walking distance in Hunters Creek or Southchase. And even stuff that is, walking just isn't something people here do.

I had to ride Bus 4 on OBT or bus 57 on JYP to get anywhere before I bought my car. It's a true necessity if you live in south Orlando or anywhere in Osceola County. I got my license at age 19, most all of my friends got learners permits at 15, licenses and brand new cars bought by parents for their 16th birthday.

As far as commuting is concerned, Lynx has really stepped up its game lately. I see lots of brand new buses driving around, and I've seen quite a few 60 foot articulated buses on OBT as well as I-4. And now they have several 'FastLink' routes that only run during rush hour and make infrequent stops, made just for commuters. I also hear buses are running much more frequently as well

Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
1st time to Oviedo, DavieJ? Really?!?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM

200 posts, read 538,350 times
Wouldn't you say it's easier to drive to Lake Eola, Florida Mall or OIA from Hunters Creek than from Lake Mary?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Unless you take the 417 and make the point of going out there, why would anyone make a special trip out there

Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Yes ComSense really. I met a girl who works at the Oviedo mall a week before that and went to pick her up for a date. I had to be in Seminole County Friday afternoon anyway.

The only time I had ever been to Oviedo before that was the few times I went to the Meridian Hookah bar on Alafaya

Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite loop View Post
Wouldn't you say it's easier to drive to Lake Eola, Florida Mall or OIA from Hunters Creek than from Lake Mary?
The Florida Mall, and OIA are both closer to my area than for Lake Mary but Downtown/Lk Eola is roughly the same distance. It's about an 18 mile trip to Downtown Orlando from Hunters Creek by way of JYP, the 528 & I-4

Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 AM

56 posts, read 119,425 times
Quote:
This is not really hard to believe, actually. DavieJ's experience is pretty common here in South Orlando, especially among those of us who are younger. Kind of like him, didn't get my first car until I was 18, my license at 19.

You are limited to travel especially when you are from a lower middle income family because of the cost of gas and limited car use. We have shopping, entertainment, and the airport right around the corner, sure--- but you have to drive to all of it because neighborhood planning here is abysmal. Not sure how often people are willing to drive even further out except for maybe Cocoa Beach. If you live near Hunter's Creek, there is the Loop, but no one actually bikes or walks there.

That and I imagine the large amount of immigrants from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic find their enclaves here in the South and are satisfied for the most part, and probably don't venture far enough north (this is a guess though; there are other Hispanic areas like Azalea Park, of course and much of 436, but easy access from South Chase and Meadow Woods to 436).

I'd wager that most South Orlando-ians probably know at most as north as Park Avenue in Winter Park and the Downtown core. Actually, I've had friends who have never even heard of Winter Park until I brought it up. Then again, I've also known people here who have never been north of Sandlake or Oakridge roads. It's a bit depressing, I must admit, lol.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevezan View Post
This is not really hard to believe, actually. DavieJ's experience is pretty common here in South Orlando, especially among those of us who are younger. Kind of like him, didn't get my first car until I was 18, my license at 19.

You are limited to travel especially when you are from a lower middle income family because of the cost of gas and limited car use. We have shopping, entertainment, and the airport right around the corner, sure--- but you have to drive to all of it because neighborhood planning here is abysmal. Not sure how often people are willing to drive even further out except for maybe Cocoa Beach. If you live near Hunter's Creek, there is the Loop, but no one actually bikes or walks there.
THIS! And yeah you're right, most South Orlando residents don't venture too much further north than Downtown Orlando or Winter Park. I usually don't go much further than that myself unless I absolutely HAVE to. But I do spend time in Downtown about 2-3x a week just because I like being there.

Hunter's Creek, Meadow Woods, and Southchase are more like "Kissimmee suburbs" in a sense that even though our address may have an Orlando zip code, we are closer to downtown Kissimmee than downtown Orlando, and even though I live just 3-4 miles north of the Osceola County line, I NEVER go there unless its to visit a friend or shop at the Loop

Crane's Rooster made a good point that Seminole County's suburbs are better planned, this also applies to Winter Park, Maitland and the older areas of Orlando around the downtown core. These areas are "old" and had slowly been developed on over a period of time. Of course there are newer developments in these areas as well but my point is, areas that grow more slowly seem to be better planned if that makes sense.

All the residential development in Orlando south of the 528 pretty much sprang out of nowhere in the 1980s and 1990s into a typical 80s-90s built exurb. Far from the downtown core, spread out, very little within walking distance, lacking public transportation, with strip mall after strip mall lining South OBT all the way to Town Center Blvd, and cookie cutter subdivision after cookie cutter subdivision

I'm not bashing my area, I actually like the south side of Orlando but Nevezan is right, it wasn't really planned well.

One positive about the far south though is that traffic congestion isn't too bad, not as bad as the central and northern areas of Greater Orlando, not too much crime here either

Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Unless you take the 417 and make the point of going out there, why would anyone make a special trip out there

Because it's nice, friendly and awesome like myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando