Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

Rough commute? 216,000 workers travel into Orange Co. each day

216,000 people commute into Orange County to work, 81,000 of them from Seminole County alone.

No wonder I-4 gets jammed up from the turnpike to 436 every night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 AM

27,166 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Consider also that Orlando's population is 240,000, which means nearly as many people come in/leave in a work day. The fact that nearly 40% are from Seminole County is surprising to me, although I would be interested to see how many of that number work in Maitland. I don't think there are that many commuting into downtown Orlando or points further from Seminole County.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
It's not surprising to me as even though Central Florida is very sprawled in development it is still pretty centralized as far as resources. Most of the resources in CFL are still in Orange County. Orlando population is about 240k but Orange County population is about 1.2 million now so it's easily the most heavily populated, probably about half the population of the entire CFL, which makes sense that most things would be located here and thus most people have to travel here for work and other needs.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM

I-4 Ultimate Project | Moving-4-Ward

Watch the project video if you have time. The scope and scale of the project is very impressive. Looks great but I can only imagine the years it will take the complete this project the inconvenience it will cause. But in the end, if the project is completed as planned I think it will be a great and much needed improvement.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
DavieJ,

You love stats. You honestly should look into working for the city or county in some type of planner position. Seriously.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I-4 Ultimate Project | Moving-4-Ward

Watch the project video if you have time. The scope and scale of the project is very impressive. Looks great but I can only imagine the years it will take the complete this project the inconvenience it will cause. But in the end, if the project is completed as planned I think it will be a great and much needed improvement.

They are only creating 10 lanes total. They need a minimum 12 through downtown Orlando. Traffic will be ridiculous for years. Hopefully, it will give Sunrail the ridership boost it will need to get off the ground. This project may convince people to leave their cars at home for good.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM

200 posts, read 538,226 times
It's also interesting that Seminole has the area's lowest unemployment rate. If they have good jobs in Orlando/Orange, I don't know why they don't just live there.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM

112 posts, read 327,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite loop View Post
It's also interesting that Seminole has the area's lowest unemployment rate. If they have good jobs in Orlando/Orange, I don't know why they don't just live there.
more traffic + lower rated schools + higher property taxes.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite loop View Post
Schools are better in Seminole and there once was a time when Seminole county was considered "out there" thus cheaper homes back than. Lake Mary was actually pretty affordable back in the 90's, today it's highly valued but probably still occupied by the same residents. On the same token, some communities were basically so close they almost seem part of Orange County, Altamonte Springs, Lake Howell, Casselberry. Also, Seminole is really beautiful, take a drive around parts of Wekiva, Markham Woods, Oviedo, Lake Brantley, Bear Lake. The natural areas that can be found in Seminole are few and harder to find or afford in orange.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Schools are better in Seminole and there once was a time when Seminole county was considered "out there" thus cheaper homes back than. Lake Mary was actually pretty affordable back in the 90's, today it's highly valued but probably still occupied by the same residents. On the same token, some communities were basically so close they almost seem part of Orange County, Altamonte Springs, Lake Howell, Casselberry. Also, Seminole is really beautiful, take a drive around parts of Wekiva, Markham Woods, Oviedo, Lake Brantley, Bear Lake. The natural areas that can be found in Seminole are few and harder to find or afford in orange.
I drove to Oviedo for the first time last night. Seemed like a real nice place.

I will say however that Orlando's northern suburbs are better than its southern ones. You don't have to drive so far everywhere like you do in Hunters Creek/Kissimmee. And Seminole county is way better than Osceola.

And you're right, some parts of Seminole feel like Orange County, mainly everything along 436 from I-4 to Aloma. Also, Winter Parks 32792 zip code and Maitland's 32751 are in both Orange and Seminole County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando