Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 AM

7,067 posts, read 16,643,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
did you really just compare two (nola &charleston) of the best food cultures in this country to Orlando? I agree with your recs and assessment of winter park, but compare apples to apples.
Ok...well take them out. Let's compare Louisville to Orlando....no comparison. Louisville has 7 neighborhoods each with a dozen restaurants better than any you will find in Orlando. The market is here and so is the population and culture...when will the chefs come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 AM

7,067 posts, read 16,643,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Have you been to the table.....they source locally for everything when possible. As far as local seafood places, big fin seafood kitchen and moonfish are good local seafood places, but on the high end as far as budget goes
yes, it is ok. I prefer Pharmacy better, as it is its cousin "speakeasy" upstairs. Not bad places. Wouldn't survive in a foodie strip of a foodie city though.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 PM

88 posts, read 187,024 times
Holy moly! Love all the responses! That is what I want to see/read! I don't care how the restaurant looks, I don't even care if they have tables and chairs. If the food is good, then I'm there! Thanks everyone! Keep them coming if you have more suggestions. Definetly going to try as many as I can!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM

88 posts, read 187,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I would stay in Orlando if the restaurants weren't so...behind the times. We are starting to get a few places that are with the times.

The places mentioned are good for lower/budget type of places. Mediterranean Blue and Four Rivers are good low priced, tasty staples. This is more take out food that fits in the "locally owned" fast casual genre. Think a local Chipotle serving fresh Greek food and gyros, and local style southern Bar-B-Q.

However, for authentic, innovative, farm to table, "big city" type dining the city is sorely lacking. Big time. Smaller southern peers like Charleston and Athens have much better scenes, and even mid sized cities like Louisville and New Orleans have a substantially better food scene which literally blow Orlando out of the water. Speaking of which, I have never seen a city an hour away from the ocean with such a poor selection of quality, fresh, non chain seafood places. As far as chains go, there are some pretty good ones such as Del Frisco's for steak, and Houston's for upscale American seasonal menu.

That said, we are starting to get a few places. Most of the foodie culture is centered in Winter Park, and there you will find a few restaurants worthy of your time and dollar. The best ones right now are Galopin, Prato, and Luma. Cask and Larder and Ravenous Pig are pretty decent as well. Also, there are some very good taco trucks and good, authentic cheap latin street food fare. Other than that, the restaurant scene around here has a long way to go.

In general, perhaps because of the still tourist mindset of Orlando, folks focus on the looks of the restaurants rather than the quality or the presentation of the food. In the mean time, this city is an absolute gold mine for any chef that can come in and do a fresh, innovative, farm to table concept with good local brewpub and wine pairings. The fact that Prato is packed every night is evidence of this.
Can you elaborate more on the authentic cheap latin street food fare? That's on my list of places i have to go eat at while i'm in Florida. Any particular place that you know that will be worth it?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,295,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
However, for authentic, innovative, farm to table, "big city" type dining the city is sorely lacking. Big time. Smaller southern peers like Charleston and Athens have much better scenes, and even mid sized cities like Louisville and New Orleans have a substantially better food scene which literally blow Orlando out of the water.
Yes, I was really struck by this when I visited Orlando. Winter Park is the best area for local restaurants and it isn't too impressive.

This is a good business opportunity just waiting to be exploited.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM

212 posts, read 463,596 times
go to tripadvisor.com and look up the city you are interested in

Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 AM

995 posts, read 1,685,027 times
If you are still in Daytona, don't miss [SIZE=3]Chucherias Hondurenas[/SIZE]

Exactly as you described; total hole in the wall with awesome sandwiches and plates.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 AM

25 posts, read 90,074 times
I second Thai house, their Choo Chee shrimp is delicious. Other suggestions for casual or budget/affordable places are Lams Garden for authentic Chinese now also serving Dim Sum, Viet Garden, Nona Sushi, Pio Pio (Columbian), Carol's (diner/breakfast), Tibby's (Cajun), Bananas diner, Ferreira's, Anthony's Pizza (the one by Turkey Lake Rd) Bikes Beans Bordeaux, Hot and Juicy Crawfish (yummy Etoufee), Boston Fish House, Spice Thai, Brazil Food Mart (more of a Cafeteria/market than a restaurant so no ambiance, but delicious food for a low price), Middle East food mart ( same goes), Barneys Coffee Kitchen, 4 Rivers, Singh's Roti Shop, Winter Park Farmers Market. I haven't tried Toasted but it's on my list for the future, has gotten great reviews.

More on the medium or higher price end there's Winter Park Fish Co., Coq Au Vin, Memories of India, Cafe Murano, Le Cafe de Paris, Roy's, Flemings, Linda's La Cantina. Ones I have heard good things about but havent been to them YET are Cask and Larder & Ocean Prime.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,226,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95degrees View Post
I second Thai house, their Choo Chee shrimp is delicious. Other suggestions for casual or budget/affordable places are Lams Garden for authentic Chinese now also serving Dim Sum, Viet Garden, Nona Sushi, Pio Pio (Columbian), Carol's (diner/breakfast), Tibby's (Cajun), Bananas diner, Ferreira's, Anthony's Pizza (the one by Turkey Lake Rd) Bikes Beans Bordeaux, Hot and Juicy Crawfish (yummy Etoufee), Boston Fish House, Spice Thai, Brazil Food Mart (more of a Cafeteria/market than a restaurant so no ambiance, but delicious food for a low price), Middle East food mart ( same goes), Barneys Coffee Kitchen, 4 Rivers, Singh's Roti Shop, Winter Park Farmers Market. I haven't tried Toasted but it's on my list for the future, has gotten great reviews.

More on the medium or higher price end there's Winter Park Fish Co., Coq Au Vin, Memories of India, Cafe Murano, Le Cafe de Paris, Roy's, Flemings, Linda's La Cantina. Ones I have heard good things about but havent been to them YET are Cask and Larder & Ocean Prime.
Fyi coq a u vin closed I heard

Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 AM

26,867 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
did you really just compare two (nola &charleston) of the best food cultures in this country to Orlando? I agree with your recs and assessment of winter park, but compare apples to apples.
That's true, the Raleigh/Durham metro would be a better comparison in terms of size/culinary history and the dining scene there blows Orlando out of the water. Durham alone accomplishes that, minus the world's largest amusement park and billions of tourists. Orlando is reaching the tipping point for being able to support more than a couple of good farm-to-table/creative establishments but isn't quite there yet. Unfortunately it all boils down to demographics and this area just doesn't have the necessary key ingredient to attracting and keeping good restaurants......that being disposable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando