Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 14,205 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for information about moving back to Florida and choosing the right city and university. I am currently living in San Francisco, CA. The cost of my univeristy and costs of living here are insane and I am moving back to florida (I lived in South Florida-Deerfield for two years prior).
It seems as though UCF's exercise science program is better than Jacksonville University? I know these schools are complete opposites one being very large and the other being very small.
I keep reading conflicting information about Orlando and UCF, so if anyone could give me more information about the school, how rigerous the classes are, the professors, the overall school, and (the parking at UCF), this would help me a lot. Also any information I couuld get about the Orlando area I would be very thankful for. Also is the traffic terrible traveling within orlando? Or just commuting in and out of Orlando? Is it bad everywhere all the time or only in certain places at certain times? San Francisco is quite bad, but is the worst because of the limited space and cars parked on the side of every road. So I am wondering if Orlando's traffic may not bother me as much?
I would think a degree from UCF and being in the Orlando area would present more job opportunites within the exercise science field than Jacksonville University would, but I cannot be sure and any opinions on this issue as well are more than welcome! Thanks for any help or advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_waves110 View Post
Also any information I couuld get about the Orlando area I would be very thankful for. Also is the traffic terrible traveling within orlando? Or just commuting in and out of Orlando? Is it bad everywhere all the time or only in certain places at certain times? San Francisco is quite bad, but is the worst because of the limited space and cars parked on the side of every road. So I am wondering if Orlando's traffic may not bother me as much?

I have actually visited the San Fransisco area and been there a number of times because i have some long lost relatives out there......The congestion of traffic and the amount of traffic out there is terrible and worse than Orlando from what i saw.....That is big city traffic....the only reason Orlando has issues with any congestion is becuase of how fast the city grew and how poorley the road system was made.....and all of those 4 way stops and one way streets in the actuall city of San Fransisco are stressfull too sometimes......so traffic is alot more out there....but the aggresive driving/road attitudes are way worse here in Orlando from how i felt the times ive driven out there....people seem to want to tailgate all the time and not let people over when they see a blinker to get over....and alot of people dont stop at 4 way stops because they are to impatient to obey the law.....people constantly run through red lights at a higher pace here then anywhere ive lived.......that's why they have put signs up all over Orlando that warns about running the red lights because there is such a problem with it here and it has lead to many accidents and fatalities......road rage is another thing ive noticed more here than anywhere ive lived except Miami....Miami was the worst in my experience but Orlando is not far behind now.....well i cant go into specifics about the colleges you mentioned because i have no experience of going to them but ive heard that UCF is a really nice school from people i knew who went there.....I think it is the biggest University in Florida from what ive heard....there is lots of traffic over there by the school

Old 10-28-2007, 12:13 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,049,745 times
Parking at UCF is tough now days. I went there for a few years in the late 90's and parking was alot easier back then. Now you have to go up to the top of the parking garages alot of the time. The school is overgrown and its not as recognizeable as when I went there. Even though I probably need to go back and finish my degree (or get a new one), the amount the school has gotten overgrown is a deterrant. Too many middle-class wannabe preps there studying underwater basket weaving, er, film study and crap like that. At taxpayer expense. I've also considered going to Seminole Community College. I just can't decide on what I'd major in- studying mechanic/maintanence stuff would be very lucrative but the local campuses don't offer it.

It did not help they closed off alot of their roads at UCF and turned them into sidewalks. It used to be you could ride a motorcycle or bicycle down to class, lock it down, and you could just walk to your class a short ways . Now you have to sometimes walk a half mile or more to get to a class.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:47 AM

61 posts, read 262,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Parking at UCF is tough now days. I went there for a few years in the late 90's and parking was alot easier back then. Now you have to go up to the top of the parking garages alot of the time. The school is overgrown and its not as recognizeable as when I went there. Even though I probably need to go back and finish my degree (or get a new one), the amount the school has gotten overgrown is a deterrant. Too many middle-class wannabe preps there studying underwater basket weaving, er, film study and crap like that. At taxpayer expense. I've also considered going to Seminole Community College. I just can't decide on what I'd major in- studying mechanic/maintanence stuff would be very lucrative but the local campuses don't offer it.

It did not help they closed off alot of their roads at UCF and turned them into sidewalks. It used to be you could ride a motorcycle or bicycle down to class, lock it down, and you could just walk to your class a short ways . Now you have to sometimes walk a half mile or more to get to a class.
Man, to attack a university for having people who are actually getting educated in this city, that's going over the top. UCF is one of the few things that are going well for this city. And in a city completely saturated with cars, isn't a good thing when something actually takes walking? I say replace more roads with sidewalks.

ores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando