Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:44 PM

67 posts, read 266,255 times

Advertisements

We have narrowed out home search down to Avalon Park. But we have a few questions.

1. Why does there seem to be so many homes for sale in that area?

2. If you live there do you get to use all of their community pools? Are these pools heated? What months are they closed?

3. Should we have our own pool also if we live there? [We have 3 children.] If we need to have a pool put in an existing home, what does that usually cost? How many months out of the year would we need to heat that?

4. How long would it take to get to the Disney Parks area? [Spouse will work near there.]

5. Is this "low income housing moving into the area" really an issue?

6. Is there an area (phase/division) of Avalon Parks we should NOT purchase in?

Last edited by tiggergolf3; 10-28-2007 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:16 AM

800 posts, read 3,079,992 times
Avalon Park

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have narrowed out home search down to Avalon Park. But we have a few questions.

There are many homes for sale everywhere! Some want to cash in, others over bought or circumstances changed. I'm seeing a decline in new listings and many listings are expiring. The biggest group of sellers are those that saw prices rising and bought multiple units from the builder.

2. If you live there do you get to use all of their community pools? Are these pools heated? What months are they closed?

You can use all of the pools. They don't close for the winter and I don't know if they are heated or not.

3. Should we have our own pool also if we live there? [We have 3 children.] If we need to have a pool put in an existing home, what does that usually cost? How many months out of the year would we need to heat that?

I use my pool 10 months a year without heating it. My brother heats his in the summer! Some like a pool, others do not. The cost of a pool starts from $15000 up normally. If you want it caged, add another $15000 and up (normally). Check with local pool companies on size/price and for heating costs.

4. How long would it take to get to the Disney Parks area? [Spouse will work near there.]

You could take the 408 to 417 right to Disney and it's a pretty quick drive! Without the tolls, that's another story. The time for commuting depends on the time of day. I suggest driving the route during your husband's work hours to test routes before you buy.

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:12 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,134,906 times
"We have narrowed out home search down to Avalon Park. But we have a few questions.

It's not just a perception it's the truth, there are alot of homes for sale in avalon park. It was one the top selling DRI's in the U.S in 04 and 05'. MANY MANY investors bought in there during the boom and are now trying to dump. I now of several "investors" that bought multiple homes in the area and are just walking away from them because they can't compete with the developers still building.

The whole plan of avalon park was to have every neighborhood have a community pool, so all of their communities should have one. They are never closed during daylight hours and I beleive they are heated, but you'd have to check with each specific neighborhood to confirm.

All up to you if you want your own pool, you don't have to schlep pool gear all the time if you do, and you get your privacy. Along with that you get all the maintenance.
Putting a pool into an existing home can get expensive, your best bet would be to check with a local pool builder. Adding a pool will also usually not add it's cost to the value of the home. So I'd try to find a home with a pool already there, or negotiate with a builder to throw on in at no cost (done this before)
As far as heating, like tigger said, it's all up to you! It's pretty warm here 2/3 of the year though.

Avalon to disney will usually take about 40-50 minutes via the 417.

I don't think it is, I beleive these divisions are at the very north end of avalon toward HWY 50

I personally think Avalon gets nicer the further south you get. I also have a few bad experiences with a few builders I'd reccomend you stay away from, but there's no builder in there I would say is absolutely horrible.

What other area's did you look at? If you like community pools you should check out the little pool park over in Live Oaks. "

Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,193,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggergolf3 View Post

a few answers:

1. investors mostly... trying to sell or rent out
2. i believe so. as long as you live "in" avalon park which is past the roundabout... headed towards the town center...
3. nah - too expensive i believe, plus the up keep; 30k i think for a decent, good sized pool
4. i would guess like 45 minutes (overall)
5. i am not 100% it is low-income housing. but it appears that way and this is what i am hearing. schools seem to be noticing it. and i can get an inside scoop that way, and yes, my source is saying that there are low-income housing places available and a few more coming... this is what i have been told, but i dont know 100%
6. i wouldnt buy directly across/next to/behind one of the possible low-income housing areas. also i would (personally) stay out of the condos/townhomes that fit like 200 ppl in each building. maybe one of the ones by publix or the toll bros one.

overall, it's decent, but i dont think it's anything special. crime does seem to have crept in there a few times too... break-ins, strong arm robbery, cars stolen

Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 PM

"5. Is this "low income housing moving into the area" really an issue?

I don't think it is, I beleive these divisions are at the very north end of avalon toward HWY 50"

across the street, there are some homes by centex and kb. being that the possible low-income housing is across the street, i'd be ticked if i would have bought a home right there across the street. good thing we werent crazy about the model home we saw in there... whoo.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 AM

23 posts, read 135,167 times
have you gone and looked there yet,, we were going to move there until we went there,, didn't like it at all.. its covered with college students!!!!!! cars are parked all over the streets. it take FOREVER to get around during the morning and afternoon commute hours.. The power company in the background looks like springfield nuclear palnt from the simpsons,,, really go look good before you move there,, oh and thats a few reasons why so many houses are for rent or sale..
avalon was a great idea,, but they overpriced there home for the traditional family to move in...

Old 10-31-2007, 02:33 PM

15 posts, read 49,384 times
If you like living in party central this is the place for you. You would have to pay me to live in Avalon Park again. It is jammed packed with UCF students renting houses. I rented 2 two house in 2 different neighborhoods before I moved to the other side of town to get some peace.

Please note that I am personally only 26 years old, and I love to party my ass off as much as I can. If Avalon Park was too much for me I could only imagine how people with families feel. Maybe that is why so many houses are for sale in that area.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 PM

i never noticed a party scene... in fact, i would think it would be boring for students.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 49,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i never noticed a party scene... in fact, i would think it would be boring for students.
From 50 to about Timber Springs Blvd. is flooded with college students renting out houses. More and more are flooding in every semester because the houses are new and the rent is cheap.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:46 PM

how much is rent by the way? i'm not sure it's cheap --- unless you got 3 or 4 ppl (or more) living together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando