Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 AM

83 posts, read 139,388 times

Advertisements

We were in Orlando for seven days and it was not near enough time. It was somewhat overwhelming. So after time processing i have a few thoughts.
1. Instead of coffee and news indoors in the morning i had coffee and the hot tub in the am. Hmm. I could get used to that. I noticed already that fl brings you outside.
2. Orlando is huge. Duh. But i have discovered id hate commuting. 45 minutes plus twice a day or id definitely hate having my husband commute that long. Im a stay a home mom and have no desire to feel like a single parent. The issue now is my hisband will be working in baldwin park for possibly two years and then moving to lake nona. Sigh. If id known this, id have adjusted our realestate areas. We were looking at the dr.phillips/windermere areas and lake nona and should have included winterpark and east orlando. Although lake nona is the best solution. Im not sure of it is th best for my teen 15. Any thoughs?
3. The pay is less here. So my husband is looking at extra work to see if its possible to make the move. The good thing is contract work pays better typically in the medical field.
4. Less pay. Means adjust budget. But maybe no expensive tennis lessons for teen. Im having a hard time justifying moving him and taking away something he loves. Anyone know of any inecpensive tennis programs. Hes not a pro, but loves it.
4. We will move now or in two years. Relief from our sucky winters is in our near future regardless.

5. Your realestate is cheaper than south dakota. Ridiculous. But thr pay is less too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 AM

One more thought. Lots of comments about loving winter park and baldein park. But omg. I picked my husband up from the va and it was so congested. I just dont see kids playing safely in this. It was very cute but almost claustrophobic at 445 pm. Something to get used to i guess.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 AM

492 posts, read 1,024,749 times
Claustrophobic is EXACTLY how I feel about Winter Park when in traffic. In fact, I'm sure I say the word (or at least mumble it) every time I'm driving through there. Yet, Winter Park is a nice place with everything you could ever need. So there's that

I cannot comment on tennis lessons, but I'm sure you can find something.

No information about budget, which makes it difficult to choose a location. If your boy is 15, living in or near Baldwin Park might be a great option. Schools are good, area is good, close to downtown, and your hubby would have no commute. Assuming your teen graduates in 2 or 3 years, you could then move to Lake Nona if you wanted (after your husband transfers) with no disruption to your kid's life. At most, you'll deal with a commute for a year.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 AM

Our budget is around 450k give or take. I think our teen would love baldwin park but not so sure it eould be suitable for a 6,3,1 boys who like to run and climb. The trails round the lake were very cool.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
450k and you're worried about tennis lessons? lol

Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM

492 posts, read 1,024,749 times
I see no reason why Baldwin Park would be unsuitable for smaller children. There's a lot of activities there for little ones, and the elementary school is good, too. Better Baldwin Park than Winter Park if you want to feel okay having the kiddos outside a lot.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Lowering my houing budget wont really help with tennis lessons if its 400 a month with another two hundredfor private cello lessons. And my other kids are doing sports now. Its all relative.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM

Anyways, so you think baldwin park is ok for little kids? What kinds of activities? We didnt get to schedule much around winterpark area. Our realtor thought the parts of winter park wed like would be out of our price range. Although baldwin park seems ok.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 AM

9 posts, read 13,824 times
I'm sort of skeptical about Baldwin Park. While some areas are nice, there are some with a penchant for doors being kicked in and rides are parked on the street so there are several smash and grabs. Maybe towards the Winter Park side of Baldwin Park, perhaps?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Smash and grabs? Good grief. Hmmmmm. Lake nona sounds better. We didnt get to see north lake in lake nona. My gps said it was a thirty minute commute from lake nona to baldwin park. Is that about rigjt?4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando