U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 AM

1,284 posts, read 2,169,270 times

Advertisements

I saw quite a few peacocks in one particular neighborhood I drove past in Cocoa Beach a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM

540 posts, read 1,005,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorpjt View Post
I've seen a few Peacocks, I don't think you can get any more exotic. Apparently though, they're considered an invasive species.
I don't count peacocks, since they're not indigenous to Florida, any more than I would count a loose ostrich.

I have see an owl or two, though I don't know what species it was. I love to hear them hooting at night. There's at least one in my neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:46 AM

251 posts, read 381,928 times
The most common owl seen and heard is the barred owl. It's call sounds like, "who cooks for you, who cooks for you all" or "hooo hooo hoo-ooh, hooo hooo hoo-hoo-ahh!"

Old 05-19-2013, 06:33 AM

3,592 posts, read 6,387,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I don't count peacocks, since they're not indigenous to Florida, any more than I would count a loose ostrich.

I have see an owl or two, though I don't know what species it was. I love to hear them hooting at night. There's at least one in my neighborhood.
So are manatees but we claim them as ours. LOL Thing is the question from the OP never mentioned native-only exotic birds that we see. So peacocks are exotic and we do see them in the residential communities-not on the farm.

I guess I could also mention the rooster that is living on his own here in Brevard County--not owned by anyone- or the flock of parrots that can be spotted in Satellite beach area if you are lucky. Not necessarily native but exotic since not seen often. <g>

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
So are manatees but we claim them as ours. LOL Thing is the question from the OP never mentioned native-only exotic birds that we see. So peacocks are exotic and we do see them in the residential communities-not on the farm.

I guess I could also mention the rooster that is living on his own here in Brevard County--not owned by anyone- or the flock of parrots that can be spotted in Satellite beach area if you are lucky. Not necessarily native but exotic since not seen often. <g>
Florida is in the manatee's natural range, so it's indigenous. I assumed everyone knew I was not speaking about non-native birds that got loose (like me seeing a neighbor's parakeet that escaped its cage).

So my caveat is only native Florida birds.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM

3,592 posts, read 6,387,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
Florida is in the manatee's natural range, so it's indigenous. I assumed everyone knew I was not speaking about non-native birds that got loose (like me seeing a neighbor's parakeet that escaped its cage).

So my caveat is only native Florida birds.

Stand corrected on the manatees. Did not realize there was a subspecies attributed to Florida. Wehave always thought of them as West Indian Manatees.

I will stand by the small flock of parrots being exotic because they are flourishing on beach side on their own for years now. A couple may have been pets that got away (maybe even since Andrew hit down South) but now there are more of them and it is cool seeing them once in a blue moon. JMHO

Other native birds I love to spot are the Blue Herons, the Snowy Egrets(black legs-orange feet), and the White Pelicans.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Yesterday by a small pond I believe I saw a red-winged blackbird in this area for the first time. Always nice to see. I never saw them in south Alabama, but I saw them all over in south Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or