Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 01:04 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
Wow, you are a self-righteous one. Now you knock having children!? Wow, again.

One item, give me a break. How about the majority of items.. Obviously YOU have not comparison shopped because you don't need to. I'll say it again, anyone with a family cannot afford Publix. End of story.
I guess all the families I see in Publix are just browsing. They must leave their cart full of groceries by the exit door when they're done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I guess all the families I see in Publix are just browsing. They must leave their cart full of groceries by the exit door when they're done.
I know, right? Crazy talk that people with kids can't afford Publix.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:21 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's not what I said. I said that people receiving public assistance shouldn't be able to buy crap with taxpayer dollars.

I will also say that people need to take responsibility for their own health and the costs associated with it, and not expect the rest of us to pick up the costs for their bariatric surgeries, their obesity related illnesses, and their obesity related disability payments.
1) You were mainly talking about how in YOUR opinion, Walmart kills good small businesses.

2) You then went on to attack Walmart's poor food selection. However, you failed to realize most of the SAME food is sold in Safeway, Albertsons, and Publix. By the way, groceries are just a part of Walmart.

3) You are now saying you don't want people on welfare to shop at Walmart because it could hurt their health and lead to more tax waste. Okay, so let's eliminate Walmart and make people on welfare shop at Whole Foods?

I doubt anyone on public assistance will have a problem with that, but be prepared to see food stamps triple in cost! Are you willing to pay for that? I sure as hell am not. I believe there should be safety nets in place, but those safety nets shouldn't give you a mansion in Winter Park or mandate you shop at organic markets.

As another member mentioned, you failed to realize how a dollar here and there add up to a lot for many families. You also failed to realize that the majority of the unhealthy products sold in Walmart are also sold in mainstream grocery stores. Do you really think Fruit Loops sold in Walmart are different than Fruit Loops sold in Publix? The same argument can be made by people in Islesworth saying, "UNLESS YOU BUY LOCAL ORGANIC FOOD, MEDICINE, HAIR PRODUCTS, ETC YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE A CHILD ANNERK!" It's no different.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
I'm not looking for the government to ban everything, but for anyone getting assistance, it ticks me off that my hard earned paycheck is stuffing Doritos into their pie holes.
Quote:
Not at all. Did you know that Winn-Dixie just bought Sweet Bay?

Trader Joe's is moving in, I heard a rumor of another Whole Foods very soon, and anyone who doesn't think Wegman's is watching Whole Foods and WaWa very closely in this area needs a reality check.
Quote:
One item, big whoop. Most people can afford Publix. Maybe you should have thought about that before choosing to have another child. Don't try to make your choice into everyone else's problem.
Quote:
That's not what I said. I said that people receiving public assistance shouldn't be able to buy crap with taxpayer dollars.

I will also say that people need to take responsibility for their own health and the costs associated with it, and not expect the rest of us to pick up the costs for their bariatric surgeries, their obesity related illnesses, and their obesity related disability payments.
Quote:
I don't knock having children. I had ONE because that's what we could afford.

BS people with families can't afford Publix, my Publix is packed all the time--with people, who have kids with them. Reality check, not everyone had more kids than they could afford.
This poster makes some really good points in the above posts. Stepping away from the "ethics of Wal-Mart" debate we've all been having, I must say that I agree 100% with the notion that personal responsibility is key. I've seen it time and time again, those that are willing to accept that responsibility and struggle usually move forward, those that find ways to mooch and stay comfortable, well you guessed it, stay that way.

Personally Aldi has been my family's salvation. Sure we could afford to shop exclusively at Publix, but we only get select items there and buy most of our staples from the discount chain. We have never accepted government assistance even though I'm sure there were times I qualified for SNAP. We created a budget, found a store that offered a mix of quality and everyday low prices and wallah, we found a way to live and eat well. I do have a passion for culinary arts and can do amazing things with the cheapest cuts of meat, but even if you're not a 5-star chef you can still choose healthier items like chicken breast, fresh broccoli, and such to feed your family. Oh and the best part about shopping at Aldi, I don't have to shop at Wal-Mart at all for my grocery items, only pet food.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This poster makes some really good points in the above posts. Stepping away from the "ethics of Wal-Mart" debate we've all been having, I must say that I agree 100% with the notion that personal responsibility is key. I've seen it time and time again, those that are willing to accept that responsibility and struggle usually move forward, those that find ways to mooch and stay comfortable, well you guessed it, stay that way.

Personally Aldi has been my family's salvation. Sure we could afford to shop exclusively at Publix, but we only get select items there and buy most of our staples from the discount chain. We have never accepted government assistance even though I'm sure there were times I qualified for SNAP. We created a budget, found a store that offered a mix of quality and everyday low prices and wallah, we found a way to live and eat well. I do have a passion for culinary arts and can do amazing things with the cheapest cuts of meat, but even if you're not a 5-star chef you can still choose healthier items like chicken breast, fresh broccoli, and such to feed your family. Oh and the best part about shopping at Aldi, I don't have to shop at Wal-Mart at all for my grocery items, only pet food.
I don't think any of us believe people shouldn't be responsible for themselves. My objection with Annerk is that the same food at Walmart can be found at any other discount or mainstream grocery store and usually it can be found for less. I don't think mandating people on welfare to shop at Whole Foods is a good idea because it would cost the tax payer a lot more money. I don't think mandating people on welfare to shop at Publix is a good idea either because they sell pretty much the same products as Walmart, just in a nicer atmosphere and higher cost, which would cost the tax payer. And banning certain foods and products for people on welfare isn't really possible unless you ban them for everyone, which I would not support, ever.

Having a discussion on welfare and food stamps is fine, but banning processed food products and the stores that sell them is just ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:43 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't think any of us believe people shouldn't be responsible for themselves. My objection with Annerk is that the same food at Walmart can be found at any other discount or mainstream grocery store and usually it can be found for less. I don't think mandating people on welfare to shop at Whole Foods is a good idea because it would cost the tax payer a lot more money. I don't think mandating people on welfare to shop at Publix is a good idea either because they sell pretty much the same products as Walmart, just in a nicer atmosphere and higher cost, which would cost the tax payer. And banning certain foods and products for people on welfare isn't really possible unless you ban them for everyone, which I would not support, ever.

Having a discussion on welfare and food stamps is fine, but banning processed food products and the stores that sell them is just ridiculous.
Some items could be banned if taxes are paying for it, especially if kids are involved. Would you rather your tax dollars go to chicken and vegetables or a bologne sandwich and chips? If people want to by junk food they can do it with their own money.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
1) You were mainly talking about how in YOUR opinion, Walmart kills good small businesses.
It's not my opinion, it's a proven fact.

Quote:
2) You then went on to attack Walmart's poor food selection. However, you failed to realize most of the SAME food is sold in Safeway, Albertsons, and Publix. By the way, groceries are just a part of Walmart.
I wasn't "attacking" just their food selection. I will add to your statement that those stores carry teh same crap, but most also carry healthier options as well.

Quote:
3) You are now saying you don't want people on welfare to shop at Walmart because it could hurt their health and lead to more tax waste. Okay, so let's eliminate Walmart and make people on welfare shop at Whole Foods?
Nice attempt at twisting my words. What I said is that people on public assistance should not be allowed to use taxpayer funded benefits to buy junk food. Chips, soda, prepackaged crap. If they want to buy sugar, flour, and eggs and bake a cake, have at it. But the taxpayer should not be funding purchases of pre-processed junk.

Quote:
I doubt anyone on public assistance will have a problem with that, but be prepared to see food stamps triple in cost! Are you willing to pay for that? I sure as hell am not. I believe there should be safety nets in place, but those safety nets shouldn't give you a mansion in Winter Park or mandate you shop at organic markets.
Where did I say that?

Quote:
As another member mentioned, you failed to realize how a dollar here and there add up to a lot for many families. You also failed to realize that the majority of the unhealthy products sold in Walmart are also sold in mainstream grocery stores. Do you really think Fruit Loops sold in Walmart are different than Fruit Loops sold in Publix? The same argument can be made by people in Islesworth saying, "UNLESS YOU BUY LOCAL ORGANIC FOOD, MEDICINE, HAIR PRODUCTS, ETC YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE A CHILD ANNERK!" It's no different.
Did I say the were? What I said was that they shouldn't be allowed to buy crap with taxpayer funds. That should include Fruit Loops. Let them eat WalMart brand generic toasted oat circles or rolled oats. That's fine by me.

As far as children go, again, that's not what I said. What I said was that you shouldn't have them if you can't afford them--and I'll add, can't afford to feed them healthy and nutritious food. by the way, local produce from a farmers market is generally cheaper than anything you can find at WalMart.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think any of us believe people shouldn't be responsible for themselves. My objection with Annerk is that the same food at Walmart can be found at any other discount or mainstream grocery store and usually it can be found for less. I don't think mandating people on welfare to shop at Whole Foods is a good idea because it would cost the tax payer a lot more money.
That seems to be your delusion, I never, ever said that.

Quote:
I don't think mandating people on welfare to shop at Publix is a good idea either because they sell pretty much the same products as Walmart, just in a nicer atmosphere and higher cost, which would cost the tax payer. And banning certain foods and products for people on welfare isn't really possible unless you ban them for everyone, which I would not support, ever.

I never said that people should be forced to shop at Publix either. I also never said that processed foods should be banned, but rather that public assistance shouldn't be allowed to pay for them or illnesses related to the consumption of them.

I also think that anyone who gets food stamps should be required to take a budgeting class and a nutrition class or they get cut off from the program.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM

@ Annerk

You basically said Walmart should be eliminated, which leaves mainstream grocery stores as the alternative for most Walmart shoppers. This means most of these people will have to shop at Safeway, Publix, Albertsons etc, which is more expensive and has everything Walmart has available.

If we could wave a magic wand, I would agree with you that people on welfare shouldn't be able to buy "junk" food. However, there is no such magic wand and government doesn't own the majority of grocery stores. I don't think it is reasonable for government to tell all grocery stores to get a computer system that recognizes "junk food" for anyone on welfare. I don't think government should pick which brands constitute "junk food" either. It is not practical and goes against reality. I also don't want to spend millions on sending welfare people to nutritional class because it really isn't rocket science to know fried chips is less healthy than steamed broccoli. I cannot stand how everyone thinks just throwing money to government will fix everything. It will just create more waste, more agencies, more tax dollars and will have very little results because choosing a healthy lifestyle is a choice. It has to come from the person. There are many things that are crappy in our system that I would like to change, but there is no magic wand. This entire debate came from your hatred for Walmart and all I can say is if a person wants to eat healthy, they can find chicken and broccoli at Walmart too.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
@ Annerk

You basically said Walmart should be eliminated, which leaves mainstream grocery stores as the alternative for most Walmart shoppers. This means most of these people will have to shop at Safeway, Publix, Albertsons etc, which is more expensive and has everything Walmart has available.

If we could wave a magic wand, I would agree with you that people on welfare shouldn't be able to buy "junk" food. However, there is no such magic wand and government doesn't own the majority of grocery stores. I don't think it is reasonable for government to tell all grocery stores to get a computer system that recognizes "junk food" for anyone on welfare. I don't think government should pick which brands constitute "junk food" either. It is not practical and goes against reality. I also don't want to spend millions on sending welfare people to nutritional class because it really isn't rocket science to know fried chips is less healthy than steamed broccoli. I cannot stand how everyone thinks just throwing money to government will fix everything. It will just create more waste, more agencies, more tax dollars and will have very little results because choosing a healthy lifestyle is a choice. It has to come from the person. There are many things that are crappy in our system that I would like to change, but there is no magic wand. This entire debate came from your hatred for Walmart and all I can say is if a person wants to eat healthy, they can find chicken and broccoli at Walmart too.
And this is where I agree with you too, actually most of this post is pretty legit. So maybe a possible solution for our governmental magic wands is to limit the types of food items EBT cards can be used for. They already do it for prepared hot meals like relatively healthy rotisserie chicken from the deli but don't do it for the pack of Oreo's or potato chips. But then we get into the obvious problem of the government deciding what is healthy and not healthy and of course the ineptitude of elected officials to make the right changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando