Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:42 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't hate Florida, It seems like anyone who points out any shortcomings is seen as a hater, which so isn't the case. To affect change, people have to speak up and talk about it versus burying yourself in apathy or a semi-comatose cheerleader mentality. Going back to your statement about all of those grocery stores in the Pittsburgh area not counting.....if they "didn't count", how are they all still in business during a particularly bad economic time?
Because they are Niche places. Have you ever tried to do all your grocery shopping at a trader Joe's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:46 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
"Publix, where shopping is a pleasure"

lol jk.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Because they are Niche places. Have you ever tried to do all your grocery shopping at a Trader Joe's?
Yes, you pretty much can. They have produce, meats, dairy, canned goods, pantry items, prepared/frozen food, cleaning products and paper goods to name several categories.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
"Publix, where shopping is a pleasure"
lol jk.
LOL, until you check out and hear the total....

Old 10-27-2013, 10:55 AM

475 posts, read 852,916 times
I'm a professional automotive technician and I can tell you that our consumer based is so fed up with corporate owned automotive group dealer networks and national service chains that the independent shop owners are actually doing well. Wal Mart has no business changing tires and oil none the less doing anything more skillful like drivability and diagnostics. Walmart is fine for house hold goods, bath towels, bedding, those type of things.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, you pretty much can. They have produce, meats, dairy, canned goods, pantry items, prepared/frozen food, cleaning products and paper goods to name several categories.
Their meat selection doesn't hold a candle to a proper butcher/seafood counter service at a regular grocery store. Thats just one example, but a big one.

The typical trader joe store footprint isn't much bigger than aldi. Are you saying you can do all of your shopping at an aldi? I know I can't.
Quote:
LOL, until you check out and hear the total....
I only get displeasure when I happen to run by whole foods instead of publix and pay 50-100% more for non-organic conventional items. hence the moniker "Whole Paycheck"

Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Their meat selection doesn't hold a candle to a proper butcher/seafood counter service at a regular grocery store. Thats just one example, but a big one.

The typical trader joe store footprint isn't much bigger than aldi. Are you saying you can do all of your shopping at an aldi? I know I can't.

I only get displeasure when I happen to run by whole foods instead of publix and pay 50-100% more for non-organic conventional items. hence the moniker "Whole Paycheck"
Trader Joe's meat department isn't anywhere as large but they still have a decent selection of items to choose from and you're high as a kite if you're insisting that you pay 50%-100% more for comparable items at Whole Foods versus Publix. Show some examples if you're so certain....

Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Trader Joe's meat department isn't anywhere as large but they still have a decent selection of items to choose from and you're high as a kite if you're insisting that you pay 50%-100% more for comparable items at Whole Foods versus Publix. Show some examples if you're so certain....
Bananas, raspberries, off the top of my head all within the last year. Next time I go (which isn't often) I'll post the exact ones.

"Whole paycheck" didn't come about because it was just a few isolated examples

Old 10-28-2013, 10:27 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,130 times
I love Trader Joes and Fresh Market, and I frequently shop at Whole Foods because my daughter has multiple food allergies and I often need unusual items for our menu. I've also shopped extensively at Winn Dixie, Target (for groceries), both Walmarts (super and neighborhood market) and I live a block from the downtown Publix. In addition, I use a bakery and buy most of my fish and fruit from Freshfield Farms in SODO. My point is that I shop everywhere and compare prices... I've actually kept long receipts from multiple shopping trips and compared the same items at multiple places. My experience with Aldi is minimal (I've been & have no desire to go back).

Publix IS expensive, but it is not nearly as expensive as Whole Foods or Fresh Market. Even Fresh Market, which is a little cheaper than Whole Foods, is much more expensive than Publix. If it wasn't, it would be my store of choice. There is no comparison on price, though, and anyone who says there is either doesn't shop at those stores or is lying. Period.

Having said all that, if you are ONLY buying FOOD at Whole Foods, and you are also ONLY buying ORGANIC at Publix, the cost difference is small. Whole Foods is still more expensive, but not by much, and they have a bigger selection. Throw in a bottle of laundry detergent, though, and the difference starts getting noticeably bigger.

And no way can a person who eats a full diet, especially in a household with multiple people, do all their shopping at Trader Joes. It is not possible. Maybe you can swing it for a few weeks if you are single, but no more. Certainly not if you are feeding a family. And honestly, I'd be shocked to find many people who claim they shop exclusively at TJ.

Of the regular stores, Publix is most expensive. Winn Dixie is a little cheaper, but also ickier. And you can save a lot at Publix by taking advantage of their specials. Target is next, and is sometimes even cheaper than Walmart, but their selection is minimal and I could not get away with shopping there exclusively. Walmart is the cheapest and has the most selection overall, but I loathe it and try only to do major shopping trips there.

For the best selection and lowest prices, you need to shop at multiple stores. Freshfields Farm is so much cheaper for fish, some meat, and most fruits and veggies, and their selection is great. Of course, they are out of my way and I don't like to freeze my fish, but I buy as much as I can from them.

Clemons produce store at Curry Ford and Crystal Lake used to have good produce, yummy honey, and some of the best banana bread, but they seemed to be going downhill a bit the last few times I was in. The bakery next store (Charlie's) is the best in Orlando, IMO.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Bananas, raspberries, off the top of my head all within the last year. Next time I go (which isn't often) I'll post the exact ones.

"Whole paycheck" didn't come about because it was just a few isolated examples
Whole Paycheck is a attempt at a clever moniker for those that don't get where food comes from, how it's produced and as a result the cost when it reaches store shelves. It's literally like comparing Apples to Oranges if that more simple approach to comparisons gets through...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando