Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:28 PM

53 posts, read 120,516 times

Advertisements

Some of their items are anywhere from $1 to $2 more than other stores. They must buy, by the volume, since they have so many stores, so they have to be getting good prices yet they don't pass them on to the customers! Also, their produce isn't that great anymore. They don't even have all the summer fruits out now, that Target has. Where are their bags of organic potatos? They don't have any. Had to rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 12:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
^ Go to Sedanos for good prices on produce if you have one nearby. Publix is expensive.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ Go to Sedanos for good prices on produce if you have one nearby. Publix is expensive.

Thanks. I'll look that up.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Publix is good for their b1g1 sales though, especially if you coupon

Old 05-25-2013, 02:37 PM

288 posts, read 733,853 times
I usually go to Albertsons. Last time I went there I got a package of petite sirloin steaks for $10.50 and 3 more free, so that was $10.50 for 4 packages. They also had chicken breasts marked down. Not to mention other buy one get ones throughout the store not just on junk, but on actually good things. I also shop Winn Dixie because they too have BOGO's and for every $50 you spend, you get 10 cents off per gallon of gas at the local Shell station. I notice that food is going up all over the place, like boneless, skinless chicken breasts, so unless I can buy one get one or they're marked down, I just buy the whole fryer and cut it up myself for a lot less.

I stopped by Publix today and noticed that they have raised their prices again on some things. Like scones from the bakery used to cost $2.69 for 2 of them, now they're $2.80. They carry a few things I can't find at the other stores, but as a rule, I don't shop there because I too think they are expensive.

As for Target, I bought a pork shoulder roast there once to make pulled pork which was a dollar less than WD, and thought it was awful, too tough so I don't buy meat there anymore..

Old 05-25-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
I usually go to Albertsons. Last time I went there I got a package of petite sirloin steaks for $10.50 and 3 more free, so that was $10.50 for 4 packages. They also had chicken breasts marked down. Not to mention other buy one get ones throughout the store not just on junk, but on actually good things. I also shop Winn Dixie because they too have BOGO's and for every $50 you spend, you get 10 cents off per gallon of gas at the local Shell station. I notice that food is going up all over the place, like boneless, skinless chicken breasts, so unless I can buy one get one or they're marked down, I just buy the whole fryer and cut it up myself for a lot less.

I stopped by Publix today and noticed that they have raised their prices again on some things. Like scones from the bakery used to cost $2.69 for 2 of them, now they're $2.80. They carry a few things I can't find at the other stores, but as a rule, I don't shop there because I too think they are expensive.

As for Target, I bought a pork shoulder roast there once to make pulled pork which was a dollar less than WD, and thought it was awful, too tough so I don't buy meat there anymore..
I buy meat and bakery bread at Publix. We don't have another grocery store nearby except Target so I' m starting to get the remainder of my groceries there. The selection at either store is that great.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrails6 View Post
Some of their items are anywhere from $1 to $2 more than other stores. They must buy, by the volume, since they have so many stores, so they have to be getting good prices yet they don't pass them on to the customers! Also, their produce isn't that great anymore. They don't even have all the summer fruits out now, that Target has. Where are their bags of organic potatos? They don't have any. Had to rant.
LOL, I have to agree. I don't like to shop there for that reason. My dh wanted to stop there for a sub today. I just needed a few things so I grabbed them. I came out with 4 bags of groceries totally $96! Most of the stuff was BOGO which consisted of BBQ sauce, salad dressing, lunch meat, Gatorade and a $6 gallon of milk which I didn't realize til I left the store. Yes, they have a nice store and the food is fresh but it's way to expensive for my budget. I buy all my meats at the only Albertson's left in Altamonte. The sirloin steak deal can't be found anywhere else. I stock up when they have the sale.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:11 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,341 times
Publix is usually located in Middle-class to upper-class areas. So the customers don't mind paying the price that they do, and Publix prides itself on customer service, not prices.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
I never understood the hype about Publix. It seems no better than Safeway or Albertsons. Food is one area I'm willing to spend more on which is why I prefer Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Publix to me is just another Safeway.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:49 PM

626 posts, read 975,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
LOL, I have to agree. I don't like to shop there for that reason. My dh wanted to stop there for a sub today. I just needed a few things so I grabbed them. I came out with 4 bags of groceries totally $96! Most of the stuff was BOGO which consisted of BBQ sauce, salad dressing, lunch meat, Gatorade and a $6 gallon of milk which I didn't realize til I left the store. Yes, they have a nice store and the food is fresh but it's way to expensive for my budget. I buy all my meats at the only Albertson's left in Altamonte. The sirloin steak deal can't be found anywhere else. I stock up when they have the sale.

LOL, That doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando