Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,894 times

Advertisements

Our family of 4 (two kids under 5) will probably be relocating to Orlando area this summer for my husband who was offered a position in the area. We are familiar with the general Orlando area as we have family in the Waterford Lakes area and visit often. But now that we are considering moving to the area we are looking at other neighborhoods...

I've been lurking on the board and I can already tell that Windermere and Winter Garden would suit our needs and preferences (as well as budget). But I've also seen some nice homes in the Winter Springs area and Maitland area and would appreciate some feedback on the lifestyle of those areas.

We live in suburban MD now with great proximity to the city as well as semi-rural spaces which we value. Our main concerns are that we chose an area that has adequate shopping (groceries, Target, Town center type places) and proximity to activities ( so my daughter can continue her Kumon, ballet, soccer lessons, etc). We'd also appreciate a culturally diverse area where our kids can make friends.

I've done my research so I am already familiar with the basics of the real estate values in Winter Garden and Windermere which are popular areas to this board. But I'd like some feed back on Winter Springs and Maitland. Especially because these two areas would be a little closer to our family near Waterford Lakes...

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,130 times
Maitland is a bit more urban than Winter Springs, and it has more cultural attractions. Winter Springs is definitely more suburban overall.

Both places should have easy access to shopping and activities for your daughter, although you might have to drive a bit farther to get to it in WS. Maitland is next to Winter Park, which has more shopping than anyone needs Maitland is also a little closer to I-4, in case either of you will be using it to commute.

Personally, I would choose Maitland for my family. But that's just me

Someone else will have to offer a comparison of the elementary schools. I don't know anything about elem in Winter Springs. Those for Maitland are good. I won't bother posting info about middle or high schools, as that could change considerably before your kiddos reach that age.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Based on what you are looking for Maitland/Winter Park seems to suit you better than Winter Springs. There is a tad bit more diversity in Maitland, Then in Winter Springs.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I would also say Maitland. It's very well-established and offers pretty much everything you need nearby. I wouldn't call one or the other "diverse" as both are very Caucasian, middle class communities primarily.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 AM

565 posts, read 1,253,535 times
Maitland is a much busier place than Winter Springs and definitely more congested. Winter Park is closer to downtown and is more expensive with the huge, pricey homes. The only place you mentioned that has any semi-rural aspect to it is Winter Springs. There are a number of large cow pastures near my neighborhood that have grazing cows and horses, with the occasional turkeys and Sandhill Cranes wandering around.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Both areas are nice however I would give Maitland the nod for location and slightly more diversity. Winter Springs, particularly the Tuskawilla area, can be a trek to get to I-4 whereas Maitland is right off I-4. Maitland is however much more uban in character without any real rural areas. Also take into consideration one is in Seminole the other in Orange County. I'm sure there are tax implications to that, although I would not know personally. Schools are good in both areas and both areas are full of activities for kids.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,894 times
Thanks everyone for your input!! I had the feeling that Winter Springs was a bit far away from everything...

Any input on Apopka, with the same considerations...?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,130 times
Avoid Apopka. Lots of not-so-nice areas (although I'm sure you can find a nice area, too) and it is even a little farther away from everything. My son played soccer there, though, and I was very pleased with it.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Best area in Apopka is Errol estates but the schools there are not nearly as good as Maitland and Winter Springs.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 AM

565 posts, read 1,253,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamJ View Post
Thanks everyone for your input!! I had the feeling that Winter Springs was a bit far away from everything...
Maitland is close to anything and everything; but you won't get the semi-rural/open spaces feel there, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando