U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2007, 03:25 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,710,525 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering which county McCulloch road is in? Seminole or Orange county?

They are tearing down a bunch of trees to build a strip mall there. Real sad, there is way too much of this garbage going up. People say that Seminole county is so greet but there is plenty of cheap developement going on. This area near Oviedo doesn't need another dry cleaners or nail salon. My dad says its probably just a tax write off for a bunch of lawyers. He's actually thinking about moving because of the amount of garbage that has been built, plus the fact that the stadium near UCF is bringing traffic problems.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 AM

I'm not too worried about crime out in Oviedo overall. However the fact they are tearing down open space to put up strip malls is not good. I don't think strip malls really add alot in economic activity to justify the traffic mess they could be creating.

They also have an abandoned Winn-Dixie down there that somebody's buying up and going to turn into a student religious convocation center. I guess that's not too bad all things considered but with the new arena there, the traffic situation is horrible on sundays. Why make it like that every day? Floridians are too dumb to figure out you don't block intersections.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM

61 posts, read 198,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I'm not too worried about crime out in Oviedo overall. However the fact they are tearing down open space to put up strip malls is not good. I don't think strip malls really add alot in economic activity to justify the traffic mess they could be creating.

They also have an abandoned Winn-Dixie down there that somebody's buying up and going to turn into a student religious convocation center. I guess that's not too bad all things considered but with the new arena there, the traffic situation is horrible on sundays. Why make it like that every day? Floridians are too dumb to figure out you don't block intersections.
What are they supposed to do, leave the area around one of the biggest universities in the country empty for the rest of eternity? The people who are dumb are the people living right next to a gigantic university expecting nothing to ever be built. They should be building more around there not less (but walkable stuff, not strip malls).

ores

Old 11-05-2007, 04:28 PM

The area wasn't empty, it had trees. Not the palm trees they plant at every strip mall, either. Real native trees.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,530,522 times
Doesn't McCulloh straddle the line, if I remember correctly?

Old 11-05-2007, 05:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 5,880,421 times
yes, i am not sure if it's seminole or orange cty.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:39 PM

He's not worried about crime, not at all. Oviedo is low crime, right now. He is more concened with the strip malls and gas stations taking over, or the fact that traffic is slowly getting worse year after year. The new football stadium at UCF hasn't exactly helped, either. On sunday's McCulloch is a madhouse and it is often backed up now days.

We don't live too close to UCF, actually. About 4 miles away from McCulloch.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 PM

61 posts, read 198,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
The area wasn't empty, it had trees. Not the palm trees they plant at every strip mall, either. Real native trees.
Yeah but you do understand what I'm saying right? I'm not anti-tree. I love trees, and I agree with you 100% that stip-mall palm trees are obnoxious. But we're talking about the immediate surrounding area to a massive university. It should NOT turn into a bunch of strip malls. It should turn into walkable, pedestrian-friendly businesses and housing. But to believe that an area like that is destined to remain a bunch of trees is naive and unrealistic. The issue is whether or not they build it up intelligently.

You know a lot of the traffic problems are because people don't have anywhere to go to eat or play without literally driving there. As soon as you add more stuff right next to campus, traffic goes down, not up. The campus has a huge population during the day and a growing one by night. Do you want all those people driving every time they do something?

ores

Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,530,522 times
The strip mall palm trees down here are swanky. Maybe it the earth warms enough you will get those royal palms!

http://palms.ifas.ufl.edu/images/palm-id/Roystonea-regia-Cuban-Royal-palm.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 PM

UCF has alot of stuff on campus, alot of stuff that didn't use to be there. Lots of shops and restaurants.

Few are going to walk across McCulloch on foot. It won't matter what they build, the curve radii are too big and the street is too wide for pedestrians. The only time I've seen people crossing the street there is one sunday when they were having a football game, and that's probably because the *******s parked inside a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando