Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy_12 View Post
Hi All. My family and I (me, hubby and 2 children ages 7 and 8) have been considering a move to Seminole County for quite a while. From the research I've done I've narrowed the search down to Winter Springs, Longwood and Lake Mary. We really want what everyone wants, lol, safe family-oriented neighborhood, good schools, etc. If anyone could tell me a little bit about these areas (would love to hear good and bad). Also, if there are any others that may fit the bill. I've heard some good and some bad about Oviedo and Sanford so info on those two would be great as well. We are coming from NY so I know it will be a bit of a change but I just can't handle the city anymore.
Well, thank you in advance for your replies!
Basically there are so many neighborhoods that fit your criteria, it'd be pointless to name all of them. I would especially look into the Markham/Heathrow area winch spans Lake Mary, Sanford, and Longwood. In Winter Springs look into the Tuskawilla area, but it seems like more retirees than anything over there. I do not think you could go truly wrong with anywhere in Oviedo, there is relitivley low crime, and all of the schools are top-notched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 AM

3 posts, read 16,139 times
Thank you! But now I have another question. (Please don't think I'm nuts) lol. I'm not a "bug person" but I could deal with the usual ones. However, upon my Florida research I accidentally stumbled across the Huntsman Spider. Now they call this thing a spider yet it is big enough to be a pet!!! What I need to know is....just how common are they in Florida? If this is something might stumble upon quite frequently, it could be a deal breaker for me and I might have to change my plans! Lol

Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,227 times
It depends on where you live. Now, honestly, I've lived in places with billions of them... like, I'd see one or more in my house every day. At one house in DeLand, it was more like 3 per day. When I lived in Palm Coast, 1-2 per day. In some houses, they were very rare. In my last place in Orlando, I saw 2 (inside) in 2 years, but one of those was the biggest I'd ever seen in my life (and trust me... I've seen some HUGE spiders).

So far in my new place here in Orlando, I've seen none.

They are big, they are active, and if you get into a house with them, there's not much you can do about them. I've tried every pest control option available at some of my worst houses.

If at all possible, talk to the people who lived in the house before you. It really seems that some houses are just full of them and some are not. I've been given different explanations for this by pest control people. Some say it is worse if you live next to the woods, some say it depends on what other bugs you have (in PC, we had lots of ants outside and those little scorpions inside that maybe they were eating). Other pest control people will just say they are more of a problem in rural areas vs urban. So, I don't know. But I share your hatred for them. Having said all that, I survived

Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM

I was talking about the feel of the place. Not whether or not it is a "job center." Sanford FEELS like its own city. DeLand FEELS like its own city. New Smyrna FEELS like its own city. Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Orange City, even Deltona (random sampling)... they feel incomplete. Sanford has a downtown, a mall, a ton of restaurants (chain or otherwise), etc. If I was looking at place, I would feel like I could live there and function without constantly needing to drive to a neighboring place. If I lived in Lake Mary (which has gotten better and which is a place I like, don't get me wrong), it feels very suburban... mostly newer houses, no real downtown, not a lot of music venues of its own, a frequent need to drive to Sanford or some other place to shop/dine/see a show/etc.

But really, I'm not sure how a phrase in my post (that was not even a negative phrase) was triggering enough to get your panties in a bunch.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I understand what both of you are saying, Because of its age and central downtown it does come across as more independent then the neighborhood suburbs. Lately though with growth of the Westside of Sanford it feels more suburban then it did 30 years ago. People tend to get it confused because it is different from a typical suburb as it has its own mature area of town. While in cities like Lake Mary you may find it very difficult to find a house that is built before the 80s.
Yes. "Because of its age and central downtown it does come across as more independent then the neighborhood suburbs." Yes.

Sanford FEELS like a city. Lake Mary FEELS like a neighborhood suburb. Regardless of which has more jobs or whatever.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy_12 View Post
Thank you! But now I have another question. (Please don't think I'm nuts) lol. I'm not a "bug person" but I could deal with the usual ones. However, upon my Florida research I accidentally stumbled across the Huntsman Spider. Now they call this thing a spider yet it is big enough to be a pet!!! What I need to know is....just how common are they in Florida? If this is something might stumble upon quite frequently, it could be a deal breaker for me and I might have to change my plans! Lol
There are probably more bugs in Florida than any other state. I am not sure if huntsmans spider is the one big brown spider that I have found in Every home I have lived in, In Florida or not. If you get pest control then you wont have any problems though. The spider I find are super scary, and quick, but they flee if you make sudden movements. I hate thinking about em, and its alright I cant Google images of spiders or snakes I go crazy.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 15,308 times
So, where did you end up? We are moving from Washington State to the area before Christmas. I think I'm kind of leaning towards Winter Springs, but not sure yet. My husband will be working in Lake Mary/Heathrow area. We have 5 children, so schools are important, but we are looking at the under 300K range. I've heard good things about Oviedo, but would love to be just a bit closer to work, and avoid the daily tolls. We've been told by people he works with to avoid Sanford. Anyway, we are looking for a good family friendly town with a strong sense of community. Any suggestions?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Lake Mary would work just fine for you. The schools are great, it's right where your husband will be working, great family area, no real need to look all the way out in Winter Springs or Oviedo IMO.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,275 times
Hi. I found this post and I'm so curious what those that were moving decided and how it's working. My family (husband &3 kids) and I are moving from nyc to Florida. At this moment we have time till the summer to decide on a particular place, although we haven't really pinpointed which one we want up live in. We are going to work in Orlando, and so Oviedo, lake Mary etc are the areas we would love to choose. Interested to see how everyone that moved likes their decision.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 9,452 times
Well we moved from Brooklyn NY to Wekiva area of Longwood a couple of months ago, I work in Lake Mary/Heathrow with two kids in elementary. We bought a house there for just under 300k and we love it where we are, with an easy commute in both directions. Oviedo is a little further out from Lake Mary/Heathrow plus you may need to factor in the tolls. Lake Mary is a good community with very good schools, but for me, Wekiva/Longwood is a very good compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando