Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 AM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times

Advertisements

Jim Stratton: Orlando near bottom in per capita income - OrlandoSentinel.com

Quick, name two things that Atlantic City, N.J., Detroit, Mich., and Youngstown, Ohio have in common. OK, time's up.

First, each appears on a Forbes.com list of "America's Most Miserable Cities."

And the second? The per capita income in each is higher than per capita income in Metro Orlando.

In Youngstown, it's $33,100, in Atlantic City, it's $32,400, and in Detroit, it's $35,700. In Orlando, a new Commerce Department report says, it's $31,700.

Let that sink in. Communities notable for their misery have higher per capita incomes (adjusted for inflation) than Metro Orlando.

And before you start railing about how much more expensive those places are, the Commerce Department says that's true only of Atlantic City. Youngstown's cheaper than Orlando and Detroit's about the same.

Yes, I'm cherry picking. But the thing is, I don't have to.

If I threw a dart at a U.S. map, three out of four times I'd hit a town with higher per capita income than Orlando. Of 366 metro areas included in the Commerce Department report – which is based on 2011 data — we finished 278th.

Look out, Sherman-Denison, Texas (Number 277). We've nipping at your heels!

I wrote about the numbers last week in a story that focused on Florida cities. But I was so struck by Orlando's under-performance – last among the state's big metro areas – I wanted to dig around the data a little more. Every shovel-full was more troubling than the last.

I started with the six cities most similar in size to Metro Orlando – three smaller, three bigger – and found our real per capita income was lower than all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post

Quick, name two things that Atlantic City, N.J., Detroit, Mich., and Youngstown, Ohio have in common. OK, time's up.

And the second? The per capita income in each is higher than per capita income in Metro Orlando.

In Youngstown, it's $33,100, in Atlantic City, it's $32,400, and in Detroit, it's $35,700. In Orlando, a new Commerce Department report says, it's $31,700.

Let that sink in. Communities notable for their misery have higher per capita incomes (adjusted for inflation) than Metro Orlando.

And before you start railing about how much more expensive those places are, the Commerce Department says that's true only of Atlantic City. Youngstown's cheaper than Orlando and Detroit's about the same.

If I threw a dart at a U.S. map, three out of four times I'd hit a town with higher per capita income than Orlando. Of 366 metro areas included in the Commerce Department report – which is based on 2011 data — we finished 278th.

I wrote about the numbers last week in a story that focused on Florida cities. But I was so struck by Orlando's under-performance – last among the state's big metro areas – I wanted to dig around the data a little more. Every shovel-full was more troubling than the last.

I started with the six cities most similar in size to Metro Orlando – three smaller, three bigger – and found our real per capita income was lower than all of them.
The income taxes in those other areas will far more than eat up the minimally higher incomes.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:20 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Just because Orlando has a low per capita income doesn't make Orlando a miserable city

Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The income taxes in those other areas will far more than eat up the minimally higher incomes.
Not to mention, often higher property and sales taxes.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 AM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Just because Orlando has a low per capita income doesn't make Orlando a miserable city
Orlando is Definitely a beautiful city and great place to live. However Incomes are lower and that a fact. and the cost of living in orlando isnt as cheap as it used to be. I think in the article he mentions that orlando cost of living is now on par with other cities its size with lower incomes. YIKES!! NOT GOOD!!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Orlando is Definitely a beautiful city and great place to live. However Incomes are lower and that a fact. and the cost of living in orlando isnt as cheap as it used to be. I think in the article he mentions that orlando cost of living is now on par with other cities its size with lower incomes. YIKES!! NOT GOOD!!
This is the main issue I have with this city is the pay vs COL, unless youre in a management position of some sort, the average wage in Orlando is around $8 an hour and often times its usually just a PT position where they only schedule you 20-24 hours a week yet expect you to have 24/7 365 availability

Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
This is the main issue I have with this city is the pay vs COL, unless youre in a management position of some sort, the average wage in Orlando is around $8 an hour and often times its usually just a PT position where they only schedule you 20-24 hours a week yet expect you to have 24/7 365 availability
That's a huge issue, as most if not all of the job growth has come with those part-time service industry jobs, which is not sustainable in terms of economic growth/stability in the area. It's important for residents to have disposable income in order for the local economy to thrive, and we cannot continue to rely primarily on tourist dollars to float us economically.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:

Notice how we are not one of the most miserable cities. Since you obviously are so fed up with it then I am expecting you to get out, and protest fro higher wages.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's a huge issue, as most if not all of the job growth has come with those part-time service industry jobs, which is not sustainable in terms of economic growth/stability in the area. It's important for residents to have disposable income in order for the local economy to thrive, and we cannot continue to rely primarily on tourist dollars to float us economically.
When The average wage is $8.50 an hour, and the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is $800-$1000 it just doesnt work

Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
When The average wage is $8.50 an hour, and the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is $800-$1000 it just doesnt work
That is NOT the average wage.

By the way, here's an idea for you. Disney is hiring bus drivers. They will pay you to learn to drive a bus and get your CDL, starting pay in almost $12 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando