Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 PM

31 posts, read 49,119 times

Advertisements

Food for thought.

Here's the list
HTTP://laws.flrules.org/

Including restrictions of selling bongs in stores (who doesn't see them at your local gandy mart)
Restrictions on legally selling firearms to the mentally ill
Strict eviction practices (I think this one contradicts the economic issues we're having )
Use of wireless devices while driving (who didn't see this one coming )
Criminal gang preventions
Homeless laws, voluntary contribution of 1$ to aid homeless and other contingents
Abortion
Bullying
And others ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 PM

158 posts, read 371,686 times
It amazes me how the same people who incessantly complain that the federal government is taking their rights away (usually based on perception and not fact) have no problem with their state and local governments actually taking away their rights. As long as some relatively unpopular group is targeted (internet cafe patrons, hookah smokers, texters) these "small government" types will gladly look the other way while the state and local governments continue to encroach on our civil liberties.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
That is their job, to legislate. Interesting link-thanks.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Here's the list
HTTP://laws.flrules.org/

Including restrictions of selling bongs in stores (who doesn't see them at your local gandy mart)

Not sure what a "gandy mart" is, but I don't smoke or do drugs, so I don't really see a problem with this.

Restrictions on legally selling firearms to the mentally ill

Duh

Strict eviction practices (I think this one contradicts the economic issues we're having )

It should be easier for landlords to evict deadbeats who don't pay their rent. Some of the foreclosures happened to good, honest landlords when tenants stopped paying and it took months to get them out. It should also be easier for banks to evict people who aren't paying their mortgages.

Use of wireless devices while driving (who didn't see this one coming )

Duh.

Criminal gang preventions

Only criminals will have a problem with this.

Homeless laws, voluntary contribution of 1$ to aid homeless and other contingents

This one is a no brainer, and it's sad that we even needed a law about it.

Abortion

I'm pro-choice, but oppose late term abortions under almost all circumstances, and am not opposed to this law.

Bullying

Another one that was a no-brainer.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM

So predictable.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugie View Post
So predictable.
I posted this as a conversation piece, for others to read. I heard about this on the news and felt I should share the link.
Your first comment seems like a personal jab pertaining to me complaining about "my rights " being taken away but that I condone the passing of laws administered towards our community. First off, as I said above, I posted this for others to read.

Secondly, certain laws that affect one person may not affect another and if that law affects the person they have every reason to complain about it ... I don't smoke pot nor do I go to hooka bars , so a law governing the selling of bongs wouldn't affect me but it'll affect others and they have their right to refute and voice their opinion about it . Even though it doesn't affect me I can understand the frustration of those it affects (using the law against selling bongs as an example despite its popularity or lack there of).

I don't agree with abortion , but women should have "the right" to abort if she feels its necessary.
I don't agree with paganism ,but we should have the right to believe in any religion.
Many people will disagree with me about religion or abortion ,,it's okay to, as I said I respect everyone's opinion .
And I respect yours.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM

Nope. Wasn't aimed at you. I was actually calling out self-proclaimed small government types (tea partiers, etc.) who will bellyache to no end about Big Government meddling in our lives, but consistently elect legislators who trample all over our free will, so long as the affected party doesn't have a political voice.

And of course they're aided by authoritarian types who have never met a law or regulation they weren't comfortable with (now I'm calling out an individual).

Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
If you're talking about me, the last thing I am on this earth is a Tea Partier.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:35 PM

I know. You're an authoritarian. It's one of those "strange bedfellows" situations.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugie View Post
Nope. Wasn't aimed at you. I was actually calling out self-proclaimed small government types (tea partiers, etc.) who will bellyache to no end about Big Government meddling in our lives, but consistently elect legislators who trample all over our free will, so long as the affected party doesn't have a political voice.

And of course they're aided by authoritarian types who have never met a law or regulation they weren't comfortable with (now I'm calling out an individual).
My apologies then. At the time I read your post I had just read one about a guy complaining about Florida and others were harping on him, so I was on the defense because I'll be the first to complain about our laws in Florida to no end but I'll contradict myself by saying how much I love Florida , I just think there's a lot of issues to be worked on in Florida.

In such case I understand your comments now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando