Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,414 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to Orlando with my extended family - we are about 13 people in total, including 5 kids between ages of 1 and 12 - the week of Feb 15-22, 2008.

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for places to stay (resorts would be nice, but with so many people affordable accommodation is the most practicle). Looking for hotels with activities for the kids (swimming especially) would be ideal. Location is not so important (within 30-40 mins of Disney is probably our threshold).

I've also heard of rental houses with pools, if anyone knows how to search for these online.

Also am curious if driving to the Everglades would make logistical sense and whether this would be entertaining for a 6 year old (who loves animals and nature). Staying a night nearby is also an option.

Thanks

Darren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
Renting a home is probably a good idea for your situation. Just look up vacation rentals for Central Florida in any search engine and you will have a plethora of choices. Another suggestion would be the cheaper Disney Hotels (Allstar Resorts). They are very clean and have great pools and you also get bus service to all the parks and Downtown Disney. Also, when you stay there you get to get into some of the parks and hour early and that rocks!

The Everglades are pretty far and there are activities in the Central Florida area that can give you somewhat the same experience. I suggest Gator Land and maybe an Air boat ride. Also, for animals lovers there is Green Meadows farm here in Kissimmee. Hope this helps - have fun!

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgerdar View Post
I am planning a trip to Orlando with my extended family - we are about 13 people in total, including 5 kids between ages of 1 and 12 - the week of Feb 15-22, 2008.

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for places to stay (resorts would be nice, but with so many people affordable accommodation is the most practicle). Looking for hotels with activities for the kids (swimming especially) would be ideal. Location is not so important (within 30-40 mins of Disney is probably our threshold).

I've also heard of rental houses with pools, if anyone knows how to search for these online.

Also am curious if driving to the Everglades would make logistical sense and whether this would be entertaining for a 6 year old (who loves animals and nature). Staying a night nearby is also an option.

Thanks

Darren

Everglades wouldn't be too logical if you're planning on visiting the parks in Orlando...because those will drain you enough......the Everglades is about a 3-4 hour drive until you get to where the Airboat tours and Alligators are....i would save that for when you decide to visit Miami/Ft. Lauderdale

Instead of the Everglades you might wanna just check out Gatorland Zoo ...it has the same kind of things except the Airboat rides and actuall swamps but it has all the animals and also has some Alligator Wrestling shows

Well i work near all the attractions and deliver pizza out to lots of the hotels out there....and the best thing to do is to stay near the Disney area instead of the Universal Area......I would look at booking rooms at Disney's "All Star" resort or "Disney's POP Century" resort...they are the cheapest of the Disney resorts...and when you're on property there is transportation to everything and that way you wont waste any more money on gas...and im sure they have programs and things for the kids to do if you stay at a Disney Hotel.......Saratoga Springs at Disney is also a good place to check out...i dont know the prices at that hotel but those rooms look like vacation homes when i see them on my deliveries and also one last hotel you might wanna check is Disney's "Old Key West"...those are extremely nice..i deliver there alot and they dont seem too expensive but they feel like a vacation home

If you dont want a Disney hotel then check out the Marriot Village on Vineland Ave. and there are a bunch of cheaper hotels on Palm Parkway near Disney in Lake Buena Vista ...some of which are...Comfort INN, Extended Stay, Courtyard Marriot, Hawthhorne Suites, and Hampton Inn...this is a nice area also..

Good Luck

Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
If you plan on spending time at Disney, take into account that staying in a Disney hotel, they will offer you CHEAP park hopper passes.

The Everglades is a LONG drive that I would think would be tedious for a child, I know it would be for me.

Another place with animals is Animal Kingdom at Disney. My advice is if you go there, head to the Safari ride first thing when you arrive, the lines can get long as they day wears on. There is also a walk through an area that has animals as well as an aviary. My favorite place to eat there is the barbeque place, fabulous meat sandwiches and great onion rings, its counter service so its not too expensive.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 AM

18 posts, read 70,749 times
I think a house for the week is your best option there's plenty in Kissimmee with a pool (make sure it's heated). Craigslist is a good place to check as well. I have to mention as a former Universal employee that you should hit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. They often have shorter lines than Disney; the Islands have less for small children to do but the twelve year old will love the roller coasters (I do) and all the theme parks have "baby swap" the adults who wait with the kids can switch and ride without going through the line again just ask the people at the front of the line. Sea World is also great lots of sea life, good shows and another awesome roller coaster. And of course all the Disney Parks are great too Another neat place to see is Silver Springs Silver Springs it's a little pricey for the amount of attractions they have but the glass bottom boats are very cool. When you get tired of theme parks be sure to check out Central Florida's hidden gem the Morse Museum in Winter Park Morse Museum : Winter Park it's about 30 min from the theme parks. The Morse has an amazing and huge collection of Tiffany pieces and the best part kids are free and adults pay just $3. It really is worth a look when people visit it is the only thing I demand they see (and that includes all the theme parks).

Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,065 times
For rental homes, check out the following webite:

..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)

Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM

24 posts, read 133,119 times
A great hotel for kids is Nickelodeon Hotel. It has a great pool with slides and tunnels. Is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgerdar View Post

Thanks

Darren

Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 PM

99 posts, read 609,774 times
Definitely hit up craigslist.com, go to the vacation rentals section, of course. I am moving to florida ASAP, most likely Winter Springs, and I've decided to spend my birthday at Disney world, and then my mom and a couple friends wanted to come. Looking at hotels through priceline bidding for a week would cost around 400 per room for something decent. I went on craigslist and found a 4 bedroom 2 story house WITH POOL for 840 with taxes included, in Kissimmee. Definitely go to craigslist and find a nice large house, you should be able to get a 5 or 6 bedroom for around 1000 a week... but try and get someone who goes through an agency and you can pay with credit card for protection, i wouldn't send anyone a check....

HTHs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando