Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,688 times

Advertisements

So this winter I am thinking of moving to the Orlando area to live. Very excited, I have wanted to live there for the last 5 or so years I am 45 and from from Seattle,WA area. I have live In Washington my whole life. This Is my delima,I am a career security officer and going to continue this In Orlando. Florida has a weird license process for there Security officers. Here In Washington, you just have to apply and get hired from any security company,in Florida you have to get a State license from a authorized outside company. So I am not sure how to go about moving and getting a job, and or finding a place first??. Idealy I would like to do Security for WDW at some point. So I will be looking to rent a room and would love to get any feed back on any tips with that to. So i have been to Orlando maybe a half dozen times, so I am not that familiar with the area?, but i wont be exzcatly lost. It will just be my self, I am divorced and my son is all grown up and move out. Looking for a fresh start

I am trying to figurine what to do first??. I will be renting a room, on security wages for one person apt is going to be tough to start out with,maybe one day. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 05:39 PM

399 posts, read 717,303 times
I'm a Florida resident thinking of moving to Orlando next year. I worked as a security guard back in the early 00's for a short while. The schooling is very short. You can obtain this at a community college or private companies. Do some research. In Florida they have the regular security license an the G license which is for gun carrying security officers. I don't know how much things have changed since I took that course, but it was very quick and easy.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,688 times
Ya i am doing the research everyday,its actually pretty interesting. I talk to one school and for just a un-arm license said its about 40 hrs. Here In Washington its 8 hrs and done on your first day of work. So can you apply first for the job or do you need first the license? and or would it better to get your license?.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:17 PM

399 posts, read 717,303 times
Get the license first. I worked in security for a short while. When I did it I needed the license first to get the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: