U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 7,078 times

Advertisements

My wife and I own a small mom and pop lube shop in alabama. The town is pretty small and there has been 2 major industries close with nothing to replace them. It's hit our business hard. We were talking about closing selling our house and moving somewhere around Orlando and just start over. My wife is all in on the idea me a little reserved. I worry about jobs and the cost of living. We've been looking at homes to rent and I man their high. I'd like to get some feedback on what it like to live there. The best places to live that want kill your wallet. The job market. I don't want to move there and have to leave because we can't afford to stay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 AM

23,673 posts, read 36,068,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74apollo View Post
My wife and I own a small mom and pop lube shop in alabama. The town is pretty small and there has been 2 major industries close with nothing to replace them. It's hit our business hard. We were talking about closing selling our house and moving somewhere around Orlando and just start over. My wife is all in on the idea me a little reserved. I worry about jobs and the cost of living. We've been looking at homes to rent and I man their high. I'd like to get some feedback on what it like to live there. The best places to live that want kill your wallet. The job market. I don't want to move there and have to leave because we can't afford to stay.
Good points and valid ones. This isn't the most ideal place for small and mom & pop shops as most consumers here tend toward big-box/chain stores for personal needs and that'll be a lot to overcome if starting over. The job market is tough here unless you're looking for part-time service sector jobs without benefits and the average rental rate is disproportionately high considering average salaries. Why Orlando???? If you want to move to Florida perhaps consider areas more economically feasible in terms of making a living with your business and personal finances as well. You might try areas more to the north like Ocala, Gainesville or Tallahassee.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Oh when I said we were closing I meant close for good and get reg. jobs

Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM

23,673 posts, read 36,068,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74apollo View Post
Oh when I said we were closing I meant close for good and get reg. jobs
What kind of jobs would you be applying for?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:38 AM

Before my father in law passed away, I was a csm with advance auto parts. He left his business to my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando