Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 AM

69 posts, read 313,069 times

Advertisements

wow thanks shopgirl for more help!! Well, I definitely feel like I want to go there, next step will be going and checking it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 AM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
Make sure you come to look at the school when they have their open house... they call it the "Behind the Scenes Tour". It's a 1/2 day event... bring your parents. And, by the way, I forgot to mention they now give all new students a NEW APPLE LAPTOP when you begin school. It's an awesome machine!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Make sure you come to look at the school when they have their open house... they call it the "Behind the Scenes Tour". It's a 1/2 day event... bring your parents. And, by the way, I forgot to mention they now give all new students a NEW APPLE LAPTOP when you begin school. It's an awesome machine!
Well, my parents I doubt will come since they live in Wisconsin and I'm moving to FL in January, they pretty much have nothing to do with anything, but yes I do know about the Behind the scenes tour, I have had info sent to me from the school. I'm so excited!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,796 times
Default Full Sail Ahead!!!!!!!!!

My son is attending Full Sail....LOVES IT!!!!! Going for Computer Animation/Design Graphics. The schedule is brutal....be ready to be serious about attending classes...an accelerated BA in 21 months. I love their motto, If you are serious about your dream, we will take your dream seriously.He is immersed in the program....and loving it.....he says it is NOTHING like High School...a complete prep for the real world media job he hopes one day to have. Good Luck! Livegently555@bellsouth.net

Old 11-16-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livegently View Post
My son is attending Full Sail....LOVES IT!!!!! Going for Computer Animation/Design Graphics. The schedule is brutal....be ready to be serious about attending classes...an accelerated BA in 21 months. I love their motto, If you are serious about your dream, we will take your dream seriously.He is immersed in the program....and loving it.....he says it is NOTHING like High School...a complete prep for the real world media job he hopes one day to have. Good Luck! Livegently555@bellsouth.net
Wow, that's so great to hear! I'm so excited now, I really feel like FullSail will be the right choice for me. I'm all for hardwork and a place NOTHING like high school. I love their motto because I'm very serious about my dream, it's what keeps me going everyday. Thank you again everyone, I think FullSail is the right choice, and livegently...Good luck to your son! I'm sure he'll get the job he hopes to one day have!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,677 times
Default Full Sail expense

Full Sail is a pricey school, but the Film program is a good investment. They would like to have you think that your tuition helps pay for "industry professionals" who teach you and state of the art equipment you use, but the truth is a lot of the instructors know how to use the equipment, but they don't have the industry clout in LA you'd hope for, just locally. And the equipment is more seen than used, except a few times in lab or for the 35 mm project. Most of your tuition goes to the staff, not teachers. They get bonuses for every student that graduates, and make upwards of $100,000 annually if they've worked there more than 4 years. that's where your money is going. but the program is good if you want hands-on experience.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: removed name..

Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
It seems to be a good program and well connected in the industry. It is expensive but they seem to have some degrees that have outstanding pay back potential. I have known a few that went there and speak well of the experience. Good Luck
Ken

Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 AM

15 posts, read 71,954 times
I hope I didn't get here too late. I would avoid Full Sail at all costs. I am good friends with several graduates and the picture they paint is very different from everything I'm reading here. Feel free to message me if you'd like to know more.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:03 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,394 times
I just had to reply because I am originally from Wisconsin myself, and couldn't wait to get out! I don't know anything about that school, since I live in L.A. right now, but I think you should definitely follow your dreams if you can.

I wanted to give you some advice about L.A., from one Midwesterner to another! I moved out here 3 years ago with big dreams and found reality is pretty harsh here. I always laughed when people said the key to making it was knowing the right people, but it couldn't be more true!! Also, I was very dissapointed to find out that entertainment jobs are extremely low-paying and that you really do get treated pretty badly when you are starting out. I am a writer and was told it is next to impossible to land a tv writers assistant job, and I have applied to the WGA training program several times to no avail. I am now writing a book instead, LOL. We are moving to Orlando because I finally discovered that living in L.A. just isn't worth it. I was warned but of course didn't listen - I believe you should live and learn.

I don't want to bring you down, but I just wanted to give you a heads up. Not only is the pay in entertainment terrible here (I make $15 an hour in entertainment public relations and I have 4 years of experience), but the cost of living is astronomical and will only be getting worse. Plan to spend at least $1100 for a tiny studio apt. and $1400 for a decent one bedroom - and prices are going up quickly every year. The sad truth is that working in entertainment in L.A. is not at all glamorous, and struggling to make it financially isn't either.

That being said, good luck with everything!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:03 AM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
Default Not all people are created equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmoney View Post
I hope I didn't get here too late. I would avoid Full Sail at all costs. I am good friends with several graduates and the picture they paint is very different from everything I'm reading here. Feel free to message me if you'd like to know more.
Maybe your friends aren't very motivated? Maybe they didn't have any connections? Maybe they weren't willing to make sacrifices? Maybe they don't interview very well? You are making a generalized statement that doesn't apply to everyone. This school is not for everyone that is for sure, because you have got to put in the time (having labs from 9pm - 1:00 am at times), make yourself stand out and get noticed. People need to realize getting a job is more about just having a degree. It's all about your personal presentation, your personality, how well you interview, and luck. You can't blame everything on "the school".

My daughter will be graduating with a recording arts degree in August and has already made connections and networking with the sound engineer for Evanescence. My friends son graduated from the film production and has worked at the Grammy's and Oscars among many other productions. Sure the pay may not be great when you start but you open yourself to many opportunities along the way. They are young without families so why not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando