Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 AM

214 posts, read 468,253 times

Advertisements

We are planning on renting whilie we look for a new house down in the Orlando area (apopka, oviedo, etc). I have heard that all the house rentals we have to sign a lease for a year.... are there shorter term rentals available? such as 6 month lease and then go to month to month?

where do I find the shorter term rentals?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,227 times
You can find shorter terms sometimes, just not very often. I am not aware of any specific place to look for those.

Another option is asking each individual landlord. A friend of mine needed a 9-month lease (Daytona, not here) because he was moving away for school, and for an extra $25 per month, the landlord changed a 1-year to a 9-month. That might be an option.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
We are planning on renting whilie we look for a new house down in the Orlando area (apopka, oviedo, etc). I have heard that all the house rentals we have to sign a lease for a year.... are there shorter term rentals available? such as 6 month lease and then go to month to month?

Thank you
Craigslist has them.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post

Thank you
Craigslist has short term rentals too

Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 AM

54 posts, read 81,385 times
Short term leases are available predominately around Osceola County (Disney / Kissimmee)
there you can find weekly / monthly etc.

As for finding a lease that will allow you to pay just a little more per month, I would suggest thinking you should expect a lot more per month. Keep in mind the landlord loses quite a bit of money with each turn-over on top of loss of rent for potential vacancy. Short term rentals often take a tax hit to the landlord primarily based on the duration of the lease, which can be avoided if approached properly and just might work out to everyones benefit.

Many landlords will consider an annual lease, with a lease break fee built into the lease so they set the right expectation from the very beginning. Another option is to maybe go this route, and if / when you find your home negotiate a seller contribution to be used towards your lease break.

If you are realistically looking for a 6 month lease, I would suggest looking for an apartment, where turnover is a monthly process absorbed among multiple units. You would likely still be looking at a lease break fee, but an apartment complex can absorb vacancy much easier than a landlord.

One additional note is working in your actual dates so that maybe you vacate during peak times of the year (June / July) when the landlord has the best potential to find a new tenant. Also plan on being flexible by allowing the landlord to show the property during your last 30 days.

Craigslist is a possibility, but be careful and selective.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 AM

83 posts, read 168,560 times
There are extended-stay hotels where you pay weekly: nothing fancy, small suite with kitchenette, but could work as a temporary solution.

The shortest lease you can find is 7-month. The reason for that is sales tax that applies to any lease under 7-months along with a bunch of paperwork that many landlords don't want to fill out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando